First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
8 things women in Japan are banned from doing
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/21/16
1. Ban: Climbing to the top of Mount Omine
2. Ban: Entering the sumo ring, taking part in sumo competitions and rituals
3. Semi-Ban: Staying in capsule hotels
4. Semi-Ban: Becoming sushi chefs

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/12/22/4-things-women-are-banned-from-doing-in-japan-【women-in-japan-series】/

1. Visiting Okinoshima Island
2. Ascending the Imperial Throne
3. Retaining a surname different from her spouse’s
4. Participating in certain Shinto celebrations
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/10/21/four-more-things-women-are-banned-from-doing-in-japan【women-in-japan-series】/
9476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Dirt land
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
Wow I never knew that. Though I'm not opposed to being banned from a sumo ring.
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
38200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
Huh. Looks like I need to learn some ground rules before I visit.

Not that I'd ever want to stay in a pod hotel. Look at one? Sure. Stay in one? Nah. Seems uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Semi-banned, though. Missed that.
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
What a let down
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
what's a semi ban mean.

what's on that oki island that women cant visit lolol

now i wanna watch an anime where a woman becomes a sushi chef and visits that island
16175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinoshima_(Fukuoka)
I would say that 'semi-ban' means 'discouraged', but capsule hotels are used by both men and women, it seems.
1637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
I see three of those are related to Shinto. Mount Omine and Okinoshima Island are basically treated as Shinto temples.
15005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
3. Semi-Ban: Staying in capsule hotels
There are capsule hotels for women but a lot of them are for just men.

Women can say manko if they want. It's not banned.
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16

mabotofu2153 wrote:

3. Semi-Ban: Staying in capsule hotels
There are capsule hotels for women but a lot of them are for just men.

Women can say manko if they want. It's not banned.


Oh yeah? Then why did that artist get charged with a crime, and then get told that she can say it, but not publicly?
43137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Hinamizawa
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


mabotofu2153 wrote:

3. Semi-Ban: Staying in capsule hotels
There are capsule hotels for women but a lot of them are for just men.

Women can say manko if they want. It's not banned.


Oh yeah? Then why did that artist get charged with a crime, and then get told that she can say it, but not publicly?


if you read any of the articles you posted it says that her art wasn't ruled as obscene, rather distributing 3D printer scan data of her vagina which can be used to make a replica was seen as obscene. It mentions nowhere that the reason she was arrested and charged with obscenity was from saying "manko"
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/24/16

Rena-Ryuuguu wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


mabotofu2153 wrote:

3. Semi-Ban: Staying in capsule hotels
There are capsule hotels for women but a lot of them are for just men.

Women can say manko if they want. It's not banned.


Oh yeah? Then why did that artist get charged with a crime, and then get told that she can say it, but not publicly?


if you read any of the articles you posted it says that her art wasn't ruled as obscene, rather distributing 3D printer scan data of her vagina which can be used to make a replica was seen as obscene. It mentions nowhere that the reason she was arrested and charged with obscenity was from saying "manko"


Semantics, again! They are trying to suppress her, because of her artistic cause. She is SAYING MANKO, publicly, and she is getting in a lot of legal trouble because of it.

Saying, drawing, uploading, making 3D models of it. It's all the same. She is proclaiming it! And the Japanese legal system is trying to shut her up!
1809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/22/16
So what, are we just supposed to be "I'm with her" and follow fearless leader? What is this point if this thread... other then to simply provolk undue anger......
3322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / livin in debauchery
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16
Is this why the Hiker Girl class only exists in Pokemon Battle Revolution? lol
36512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

So what, are we just supposed to be "I'm with her" and follow fearless leader? What is this point if this thread... other then to simply provolk undue anger......


I believe he was posting it as an educational and informative thing rather than to provoke anger, as people might find the facts interesting. If you actually read the articles, they're mostly presented that way rather than as an attack against men because women aren't allowed certain places in Japan. Something like this is rather helpful if you plan to travel to Japan as well.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.