First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
8 things women in Japan are banned from doing
1841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 11/7/16

BlackRose0607 wrote:

I believe he was posting it as an educational and informative thing rather than to provoke anger, as people might find the facts interesting. If you actually read the articles, they're mostly presented that way rather than as an attack against men because women aren't allowed certain places in Japan. Something like this is rather helpful if you plan to travel to Japan as well.


Ahh, believe me, if you been reading my other stuff on forums u know me been there, done that in Japan.


But again, why does no women in Sumo come as surprise? Or anything else, I mean think about it....
#legitimaterape


I guess I could go on to provide some sort of defense as to Japan's past, but people here would just take it as /condescendion . There is a reason for everything.... to think the women's legitimate dignity was not being considered as well in many of these examples, is misguided at
best...


But yes, I did read the articles, and stand by the claim. For instance, if you think "women's sumo" ==male ,you are missing the point by like 400lbs...
17300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

DeadlyOats wrote:

Semantics, again! They are trying to suppress her, because of her artistic cause. She is SAYING MANKO, publicly, and she is getting in a lot of legal trouble because of it.

Saying, drawing, uploading, making 3D models of it. It's all the same. She is proclaiming it! And the Japanese legal system is trying to shut her up!


It isn't semantics. Males who have made graphic depictions of the same area have also been hauled in front of the courts.
If she is resisting the court rulings then that is most likely the reason the courts are going against her more frequently than others. Most countries frown upon those who hold their courts in contempt.

Also I have heard that word used quite a few times by women. It is rather vulgar and you won't hear it in normal conversation but they aren't breaking any law by saying it.

By being vulgar in public is she drawing more attention to her work and her breaches of other Japanese laws? Quite likely, but then that is the risk with anyone who engages with publicity stunts to highlight controversial works.
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16
In regards to capsule hotels, it just varies by place. Some are men only, but there are also women only capsule hotels. Same go for onsen and things like that. I wanted to go to a cheap onsen my friends were talking about the other day, but it was an all girls onsen. And they can't go to the one in my building, since it is in an all male dormitory.

So I feel like calling it a ban is kind of harsh, since it is more like a policy that differs from place to place.

Also in regards to saying certain words in public, I've certainly heard it. It's more like a "you shouldn't" rather than a "you can't."
43284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

TRKitsune wrote:

Is this why the Hiker Girl class only exists in Pokemon Battle Revolution? lol


Wait, what about Encouragement of Climb?!
22482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

But again, why does no women in Sumo come as surprise? Or anything else, I mean think about it....
#legitimaterape


I fail to see how pushing and shoving extremely heavy female wrestlers equates to unwanted sexual contact, molestation, or penetration, or how such a thing legitimizes rape. Nothing legitimizes rape. Ever.
10629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

ClothStatue wrote:


But again, why does no women in Sumo come as surprise? Or anything else, I mean think about it....
#legitimaterape


I fail to see how pushing and shoving extremely heavy female wrestlers equates to unwanted sexual contact, molestation, or penetration, or how such a thing legitimizes rape. Nothing legitimizes rape. Ever.


The being said, false claims of rape, or the belief that regret = rape, goes a looooong way to delegitimize rape accusations.

14377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16
in South Korea, if a woman becomes pregnant and needs to take a maternity leave, she can lose her job or be under "disciplinary action"
source: leaked(1) document from Samsung presentation, one of the slides claim the women are 'misusing' labor laws, and suggest filling lawsuits against them, arguing that the women who wants to take a maternal leave are doing so out of contempt and "housebreaking"
given the costs of going to court, and the strong bias in favor of companies like Samsung, it's little wonder many women would opt not to
have a relationship - which in turn explains the low birthrate in S Korea (2). i strongly suspect this also applies to companies in Japan, which is currently experiencing a crisis from low birthrates

(1) http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/237694-samsungs-toxic-work-culture-exposed-on-the-heels-of-galaxy-note-7-disaster
(2) http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/09/116_214919.html

in S Korea, women can't have relationship without risking losing their job. that's probably also the case in Japan.
well, technically incorrect: they risk losing their job if they need to take a maternal leave (that is, if they become pregnant)
22482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

The being said, false claims of rape, or the belief that regret = rape, goes a looooong way to delegitimize rape accusations.


Dozens of peer reviewed, thorough studies have been conducted over the years focusing on false rape accusations. All of these studies come to the same conclusion: false rape accusations make up only 2-5% of all cases. Your most generous study, a standalone with a small sample base, puts it at 8%. This means that with the data we have today, if a person says they have been raped, there's pretty much a 95-98% chance they are telling the truth. Despite this, people, especially college men, believe that false rape is 40-50% of all accusations, which is completely baseless. The idea that false rape is an epidemic has no reliable sourcing, and with the sheer amount of women raped every day, and men as well to be sure, people take these worries far out of proportion. Not to mention if women are brave enough (and make sure not to shower after the event) and go get a rape kit done, it can provide solid evidence that, while it may not show who did it, there is likely to be evidence on/in the genitalia of unwanted contact, of course not always, but it's not as hard as people think to prove that a woman was raped provided that proper steps are taken.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a massive case of false equivalence in the frequency of both cases. But theoretically let's explore this anyways. Say your friend approaches you one day and confides in you that she was raped. What do you do? Say you're going with the information from studies available, everyone knows that studies can always be flawed but when consistent results appear time and time again, you suppose that your friend has no reason to lie, so you believe her and support her. It then is revealed later that it was a false accusation, and she confesses she lied about the situation. Would you feel guilty about believing her? Why should you? You did nothing wrong, and you only tried to support what you had good reason to believe was strongly favored to be true. The fault lies with her, not you. But if you disbelieved her and the odds ended up that you happened to be right with no actual evidence to prove it, while it may save you from having to deal with misplaced guilt on yourself, you have made it clear to any victims, which far outweigh liars, that you are no safe haven for them. The truth at the end of the day is that with either decision, you in that situation have no evidence of this specific case, and so it is more reasonable to consult the likeliness of either scenario to determine which is more likely, and it shows that, in my relative understanding, the right thing to do is to believe and support someone who confides in you. Either way, the court of law will do its utmost to let the evidence stand on its own (or it should, unfortunately colleges silence rape victims to keep them from tarnishing their image, or protect their athletes, which is a verifiable problem), so you really aren't better equipped to decipher truth from fiction in this case.

If I had the time I would to search up all the studies so I understand if you can't take my word for it, but I implore everyone who reads this to really do some research and read as many studies as they can on the subject.

I'm not being accusing of you thinking this or that you'd bring this up but in case someone else reads and wants to use a point I wanna just leave this here too:

A common 'argument' I hear about rape (that somehow delegitimizes women being raped as a serious problem), is that men are raped more than women. This is an embellishment of sexual assault and rape of men in prison, it should be understood that men getting raped is only common in prisons, and even then, people do not distinguish between sexual assault (molestation or other unwanted sexual contact) and rape (unwanted sexual intercourse i.e. penetration). If you separate the two, while certainly both are incredibly awful, it does show that even in prison rape is not as common with men than women. So just if anyone brings that up, that's kind of a moot point, both need to be addressed.
10629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16


This study is somewhat true. Where is fails is that innocent men who've been convicted are still considered as "legitimate" rape accusation. That skews the numbers, a lot. Because when an innocent man is convicted, that's still not considered a false accusation, but if a guilty man is never caught, that's still considered a truthful accusation. See the problem?

Now, am I saying that most women are in the habit of falsely accusing? No. Am I saying it is as big of a problem as some men believe it is? No.

What I am saying is that there is a movement among the radical feminists that is putting out propaganda saying regret IS rape, and encouraging this mindset. I doubt this stuff rarely sticks with most women, because most women aren't idiots.

However, this trend in the media is resulting in a growing doubt about the validity of rape accusations. No, it isn't really that common. It is still causing doubt and fear. Just like mass shootings.... not as common as people think, but scary enough that tons of people still want to ban guns for no other reason than mass shootings.

In short. Nah, it isn't that black and white. I certainly wasn't accusing women as a whole of this underhanded nonsense. BUT, these false accusations still do much to create doubt, no matter how rare. And people should be encouraging other women to not only come forward when they have been a victim, but NOT make false accusations because it is harmful to the real victims.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The Grand Line
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

ClothStatue wrote:


The being said, false claims of rape, or the belief that regret = rape, goes a looooong way to delegitimize rape accusations.


Dozens of peer reviewed, thorough studies have been conducted over the years focusing on false rape accusations. All of these studies come to the same conclusion: false rape accusations make up only 2-5% of all cases. Your most generous study, a standalone with a small sample base, puts it at 8%. This means that with the data we have today, if a person says they have been raped, there's pretty much a 95-98% chance they are telling the truth. Despite this, people, especially college men, believe that false rape is 40-50% of all accusations, which is completely baseless. The idea that false rape is an epidemic has no reliable sourcing, and with the sheer amount of women raped every day, and men as well to be sure, people take these worries far out of proportion. Not to mention if women are brave enough (and make sure not to shower after the event) and go get a rape kit done, it can provide solid evidence that, while it may not show who did it, there is likely to be evidence on/in the genitalia of unwanted contact, of course not always, but it's not as hard as people think to prove that a woman was raped provided that proper steps are taken.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a massive case of false equivalence in the frequency of both cases. But theoretically let's explore this anyways. Say your friend approaches you one day and confides in you that she was raped. What do you do? Say you're going with the information from studies available, everyone knows that studies can always be flawed but when consistent results appear time and time again, you suppose that your friend has no reason to lie, so you believe her and support her. It then is revealed later that it was a false accusation, and she confesses she lied about the situation. Would you feel guilty about believing her? Why should you? You did nothing wrong, and you only tried to support what you had good reason to believe was strongly favored to be true. The fault lies with her, not you. But if you disbelieved her and the odds ended up that you happened to be right with no actual evidence to prove it, while it may save you from having to deal with misplaced guilt on yourself, you have made it clear to any victims, which far outweigh liars, that you are no safe haven for them. The truth at the end of the day is that with either decision, you in that situation have no evidence of this specific case, and so it is more reasonable to consult the likeliness of either scenario to determine which is more likely, and it shows that, in my relative understanding, the right thing to do is to believe and support someone who confides in you. Either way, the court of law will do its utmost to let the evidence stand on its own (or it should, unfortunately colleges silence rape victims to keep them from tarnishing their image, or protect their athletes, which is a verifiable problem), so you really aren't better equipped to decipher truth from fiction in this case.

If I had the time I would to search up all the studies so I understand if you can't take my word for it, but I implore everyone who reads this to really do some research and read as many studies as they can on the subject.

I'm not being accusing of you thinking this or that you'd bring this up but in case someone else reads and wants to use a point I wanna just leave this here too:

A common 'argument' I hear about rape (that somehow delegitimizes women being raped as a serious problem), is that men are raped more than women. This is an embellishment of sexual assault and rape of men in prison, it should be understood that men getting raped is only common in prisons, and even then, people do not distinguish between sexual assault (molestation or other unwanted sexual contact) and rape (unwanted sexual intercourse i.e. penetration). If you separate the two, while certainly both are incredibly awful, it does show that even in prison rape is not as common with men than women. So just if anyone brings that up, that's kind of a moot point, both need to be addressed.


What exactly does this have to do with female sumo again?
22482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

This study is somewhat true. Where is fails is that innocent men who've been convicted are still considered as "legitimate" rape accusation. That skews the numbers, a lot. Because when an innocent man is convicted, that's still not considered a false accusation, but if a guilty man is never caught, that's still considered a truthful accusation. See the problem?

Now, am I saying that most women are in the habit of falsely accusing? No. Am I saying it is as big of a problem as some men believe it is? No.

What I am saying is that there is a movement among the radical feminists that is putting out propaganda saying that regret IS rape, and encouraging this mindset. I doubt this stuff rarely sticks with most women, because most women aren't idiots.

However, this trend in the media is resulting in a growing doubt about the validity of rape accusations. No, it isn't really that common. It is still causing doubt and fear. Just like mass shootings.... not as common as people think, but scary enough that tons of people still want to ban guns for no other reason than mass shootings.

In short. Nah, it isn't that black and white. I certainly wasn't accusing women as a whole of this underhanded nonsense. BUT, these false accusations still do much to create doubt, no matter how rare. And people should be encouraging other women to not only come forward when they have been a victim, but NOT make false accusations because it is harmful to the real victims.


I can see what you mean about men being unfairly penalized for crimes they haven't committed because the real rapist has not been found. However, I could see that while the rapist was not found, ample evidence supporting that the woman was indeed raped by someone could lead to this being categorized as legitimate. It is not uncommon for cases to end in such a manner, where it is agreed the woman was raped but there is not enough evidence to prove that the suspect is responsible, as it is a innocent until proven guilty system (as it should be). But changes should be made to ensure that falsely accused men are absolved of punishment. We can't however ignore that that vast majority of rapes go unreported to the police, due to social stigma towards victims.

Interesting, as a feminist, I have never heard of such a claim that regret is rape, I would assume that these are small radical pockets which make a lot of noise. I assure you that I have spent a lot of time and energy being involved with many feminist organizations. But you are right that people have a habit of doubting rape accusations, but just because false accusations create doubt that is a problem of its own through logical fallacies of bystanders who jump to conclusions about rape cases with at best anecdotal evidence. It's our responsibility as society to push back against those who doubt victims simply because they think false rape is far more common. I guess that what I'm saying is that just because there is doubt, does not mean it is well placed or should be respected.


And people should be encouraging other women to not only come forward when they have been a victim, but NOT make false accusations because it is harmful to the real victims.


Such encouragement seems rather superfluous, everyone agrees that false accusations are taboo, but the rare cases which people do such a thing to ruin someone's life are still possible. I would say enforce this, but how? By just telling them it's bad or that we'll catch you? At best that will just continue to scare true victims away, who are already terrified to come out. It should also be noted that a lot of men do not understand what consent is. Trust me they have no idea. (Anecdotal Evidence, take it for what you will) I have a friend who was molested by her friend, she didn't press charges because she knew that he literally had no idea that what he was doing was not okay and had no intention of doing so. You can rape someone and not intend to do so, in the same manner you can unintentionally physically harm someone, and that's when cases get messy. Such incidents happen because men do not understand consent, and as far as my experience in feminist circles and activities, we focus our efforts on trying to help educate people on how to consent works and how to have systems so that both (or I guess all, in some cases) can make sure everyone is okay before doing anything We don't expect this to solve rape entirely but we try to mitigate it, because there are plenty of cases of unintentional accidental rapes, but they are still rapes. Should they be punished with the same severity that an intentional rape has, no of course not. There are cases of many men who are surprised when they hear that when a woman says "no" and you keep going it's rape.

Also, more examinations show that rapists are a pretty small population, but most rapists are repeat offenders, because of how hard it is to catch them and they know how hard it is to catch them. This is why multiple women coming forward over time is so common. One study put it at 8 victims for a college rapist on average before they are apprehended. It's not a simple issue but my original argument still stands. It's more friendly to real victims to give them the same due process of innocence until proven guilty as the rapist, no one but the judge and/or jury have the authority to make the decision, so I'd just stay a supporter of the victim. If they lied, it's on them, and anyone is free to look down on them and lose respect for them. Things get messy when we arrogantly put ourselves into the position of the judge, which means either way, we cannot treat both as innocent until proven guilty, let the actual court decide that.
1103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Da UK
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16




What exactly does this have to do with female sumo again?



the fact that woman might get raped while playing(?) sumo
22482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

What exactly does this have to do with female sumo again?


It doesn't. If you couldn't notice, I was responding to a response I got. If it did I would have quoted it now wouldn't I?
10629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16


I did say a group within radical feminists. I actually highlighted and underlined that for a reason.

And you are right in some ways. However, I know three people who've been falsely accused of rape, and only one who has been rightfully accused. As you said, the one guy is a repeat offender they can never quite catch. The other three are young kids 19-23, who have never had any other accusations of either rape or violence. The most recent guy was falsely accused because the girl's boyfriend got jealous and knows the police chief. And the guy had never even slept with the girl, much less raped her. Glad to say he's out of jail, now.

The problem is - If one man rapes 20 women, and three men get falsely accused.... that's still a low percentage of false rape accusations, but 75% of men are falsely accused. This is ANOTHER problem with the studies you are looking at. NOTE: My numbers come from personal experience, not data gathered for such a purpose, but the principle still applies.

My point is only outline the problems with your argument that men have no reason to fear false accusations. Because, honestly, those studies are showing a very narrow point of view to tell a very specific purpose.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The Grand Line
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/23/16

ClothStatue wrote:


What exactly does this have to do with female sumo again?


It doesn't. If you couldn't notice, I was responding to a response I got. If it did I would have quoted it now wouldn't I?


I did notice, I was just sarcastically reminding everyone that this has very little to do with the actual thread.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.