First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Flying spaghetti monster and other invalid parallels
Posted 10/23/16
Religion is all a big conspiracy, but, who here has been around long enough to conspire for thousands of years? Exactly. Only God and the Devil can conspire for that long. Therefore, God and devil is real. Proof is right there.
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

Dark_Alma wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

...and did you know FSM was a parody beforehand, or not?


I was sadly mislead by the mass media. Saying that the true god was that of a parody. I saw the light. THE METAPHYSICAL LIGHT. He held me tenderly in his oily embrace. It was then that I knew the heathens. The pagans who worship all the fake idols. Yahweh, Akuma, Isis, Muhammad, Brahma... All of these worship false idols.

I know this because I saw him in my dream. I witnessed HIS GLORY!

Foolish media telling me he was fake. He is real! I KNOW THIS. I SAW HIM IN MY DREAM!

Edit: I get emotional when someone says my god doesn't exist, or their is better. I am sure you know that feeling as well! The audacity to call any god a parody...


Answer, with a yes or no.
5033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

nanikore2 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

...and did you know FSM was a parody beforehand, or not?


I was sadly mislead by the mass media. Saying that the true god was that of a parody. I saw the light. THE METAPHYSICAL LIGHT. He held me tenderly in his oily embrace. It was then that I knew the heathens. The pagans who worship all the fake idols. Yahweh, Akuma, Isis, Muhammad, Brahma... All of these worship false idols.

I know this because I saw him in my dream. I witnessed HIS GLORY!

Foolish media telling me he was fake. He is real! I KNOW THIS. I SAW HIM IN MY DREAM!

Edit: I get emotional when someone says my god doesn't exist, or their is better. I am sure you know that feeling as well! The audacity to call any god a parody...


Answer, with a yes or no.


I answered your question. Man the quote on your profile must me true. I will break it down for you.

"I was sadly mislead by the mass media." - This means that I was aware fools think the FSM is a parody, however it also denotes that I am aware that him being a parody was a lie.

"Saying that the true god was that of a parody." - This adds to the quote above.

" I saw the light. THE METAPHYSICAL LIGHT. He held me tenderly in his oily embrace. It was then that I knew the heathens. The pagans who worship all the fake idols. Yahweh, Akuma, Isis, Muhammad, Brahma... All of these worship false idols.

I know this because I saw him in my dream. I witnessed HIS GLORY!

Foolish media telling me he was fake. He is real! I KNOW THIS. I SAW HIM IN MY DREAM!"
- This means that I do truly believe in my god.

I hope you can understand this!
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

Dark_Alma wrote:



nanikore2 wrote:

...and did you know FSM was a parody beforehand, or not?


I answered your question. Man the quote on your profile must me true. I will break it down for you.

"I was sadly mislead by the mass media." - This means that I was aware fools think the FSM is a parody, however it also denotes that I am aware that him being a parody was a lie.



The quote is describing what happens when people like you are being willfully ignorant.

The original person who created FSM and wrote the letter to the Kansas school board said this:


"I wrote the letter for my own amusement as much as anything. And it totally snowballed. Some people say I'm going to hell," says FSM's 25-year-old creator


Now, look up the definition of parody if you still don't know what it is.

I suggest that you cut out the clown dance because everyone reading knows the nature of that description of your dream.
5033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

nanikore2 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:



nanikore2 wrote:

...and did you know FSM was a parody beforehand, or not?


I answered your question. Man the quote on your profile must me true. I will break it down for you.

"I was sadly mislead by the mass media." - This means that I was aware fools think the FSM is a parody, however it also denotes that I am aware that him being a parody was a lie.



The quote is describing what happens when people like you are being willfully ignorant.

The original person who created FSM and wrote the letter to the Kansas school board said this:


"I wrote the letter for my own amusement as much as anything. And it totally snowballed. Some people say I'm going to hell," says FSM's 25-year-old creator


Now, look up the definition of parody if you still don't know what it is.

I suggest that you cut out the clown dance because everyone reading knows the nature of that description of your dream.


Are you bashing on my beliefs? I do believe that is quite rude of you! I would think someone of your age would be a little bit more mature! This is no clown dance of mine. I truly believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The FSM has given me just as much proof of his existence as any god ever has. He has a gospel, he came to me in my dreams, and he has artwork and nature showing him in true design.

Do you really think I would troll about something so dear to my heart? Shame on you! Shame on you thinking that my god is false.

Also, I am well aware of what a parody is. You are talking to someone who is 1 semester off a Masters Degree in Geology, with a minor in GIS and Mathematics. I would argue I am a bit smarter than you.
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

Dark_Alma wrote:

Also, I am well aware of what a parody is. You are talking to someone who is 1 semester off a Masters Degree in Geology, with a minor in GIS and Mathematics. I would argue I am a bit smarter than you.


No, evidently you don't know what a parody is.

Not only that, your intellectual dishonesty disgusts me.

5033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

nanikore2 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Also, I am well aware of what a parody is. You are talking to someone who is 1 semester off a Masters Degree in Geology, with a minor in GIS and Mathematics. I would argue I am a bit smarter than you.


No, evidently you don't know what a parody is.

Not only that, your intellectual dishonesty disgusts me.



Oh, you apparently don't know much about me. Feel free to take a look at my profile. Some older trips I took have pictures on there. I even have the labeled for those who don't know much about them! Most of them are in New Mexico or west Texas though. Later on this semester I am going to Montana to map a mountain range.

Once I am done with my thesis I can link it to you if you want. I am working on the Josephine ophiolites. I found it odd that the dikes were a bit different from those of the BoI, Oman and Midrate ophiolites.

You on the other hand, disgust me. You are an old man who is happy bashing kids on an anime site. Grow up. You are too old to be bitching about this stuff. Go picket an abortion clinic or something. You will be around people your age then. You are pathetic. THIS IS AN ANIME SITE. You are acting like a kid by bashing on people half your age.

I would say that shows a massive amount of insecurity on your part. This can be further seen from your profile. "We have nothing in common so move on" etc. You are a sad, sad man.

Parody: an imitation of any style of work. This work can include art, shows, gods or fiction.

I need sleep. I will be happy to entertain your insecurities tomorrow if you so wish. Have a good night and enjoy sucking Yahweh off <3
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

Dark_Alma wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Also, I am well aware of what a parody is. You are talking to someone who is 1 semester off a Masters Degree in Geology, with a minor in GIS and Mathematics. I would argue I am a bit smarter than you.


No, evidently you don't know what a parody is.

Not only that, your intellectual dishonesty disgusts me.



Oh, you apparently don't know much about me. Feel free to take a look at my profile. Some older trips I took have pictures on there. I even have the labeled for those who don't know much about them! Most of them are in New Mexico or west Texas though. Later on this semester I am going to Montana to map a mountain range.

Once I am done with my thesis I can link it to you if you want. I am working on the Josephine ophiolites. I found it odd that the dikes were a bit different from those of the BoI, Oman and Midrate ophiolites.

You on the other hand, disgust me. You are an old man who is happy bashing kids on an anime site. Grow up. You are too old to be bitching about this stuff. Go picket an abortion clinic or something. You will be around people your age then. You are pathetic. THIS IS AN ANIME SITE. You are acting like a kid by bashing on people half your age.

I would say that shows a massive amount of insecurity on your part. This can be further seen from your profile. "We have nothing in common so move on" etc. You are a sad, sad man.

Parody: an imitation of any style of work. This work can include art, shows, gods or fiction.

I need sleep. I will be happy to entertain your insecurities tomorrow if you so wish. Have a good night and enjoy sucking Yahweh off <3


You have a big head. You drone on about your own credentials. I'm not going to look at your profile because it has nothing to do with this topic. Who is secure enough to not brag?

Either you did have those dreams or you didn't. If you didn't have those dreams yet presented them as if you did then you are engaging in sophistry.

Bashing? Who is really doing the bashing of what here? Think about that very carefully. Take another look at the original post.

Please stalk my profile some more. It only has to do with anime. By the way, stop the ad hominem attack, that's also fallacious.
808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16
I really don't understand what you're saying. FSM is an argument against religious belief (or, rather, against religious influence in the public sphere). They don't need to convert people to FSM, nor do most of them care about doing so. The website you linked to, as far as I can tell, is just an extension of their argument that religious belief and actions/traditions following from it are ridiculous. Like you said, the whole thing is a parody.
30052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

nanikore2



I know. I just wanted to make you laugh.

Even if just a little. I'm a goof.
116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / America.
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

nanikore2 wrote:


GamingGodzilla wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

The problem with using an article of disbelief as an article of faith is just that.
Ok seriously? One sentence in and you've already missed the point. We don't use the FSM as an article of faith, we use it to compare evidence between the FSM and God.


Responses in red.

You missed the entire purpose of the argument.


One thing at a time.

Who do you mean, "we"?

This from the website of the Church of FSM. The website is run by the person who came up with the idea of FSM:

http://www.venganza.org/2016/07/illinois-id-struggle/


During a time when people are doing reprehensible things in the Name of Religion, I wonder why officials are hassling us, out of all religious groups.


Ok I probably should've specified what I meant by "we."

The FSM is generally used as an atheist argument, so by we, I meant atheists.

After looking at that website, I can tell it is an extension of the FSM argument. Pastafarianism is a parody religion to show how ridiculous religion is. It is treated like a real religion in order to show other religions how ridiculous they look when encouraging people to believe in their deity. Of course since this is based in America, it mostly goes for christians.

This isn't a real religion that anyone actually believes, it is an argument of evidence, as I said in my above post.
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

nanikore2 wrote:


NyxUlric wrote:

No matter what you say, the point is you can't prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist...this is what religious nutcases like to say.

That's the whole point of the fsm, the fact that anybody could make up any ridiculous thing and claim it to be real, god is no exception.

But of course this argument is lost on irrational people who continue to make excuses for their imaginary friend.


........and the point of my post is that you can't treat Church of FSM as a religion like these folks do because it's a parody:

http://www.venganza.org/2016/07/illinois-id-struggle/

The site is run by the person who came up with the idea of FSM. Have a nice day.


It isn't a religion, it's used to make a point about Christians wanting evidence for the non-existence of their god...but when non-Christians ask for evidence to prove the non-existence of FSM or pink invisible unicorn or whatever, they can't do it. So why don't they believe in those things if they can't prove the FSM doesn't exist?
Just put leprechauns in place of FSM if this point is too hard for you to grasp.

What does it matter whether it's a parody or not? Do you think god wasn't made up by people? And by much much less intelligent people who didn't even know how to multiply or divide or know how the universe came about. Why would you put your trust in such uneducated and mentally ill people?

God and religion are the biggest scams of all time, and it's truly sad that 2000 years later, people still continue to believe in such nonsense.
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

foraslan wrote:

I really don't understand what you're saying. FSM is an argument against religious belief (or, rather, against religious influence in the public sphere). They don't need to convert people to FSM, nor do most of them care about doing so. The website you linked to, as far as I can tell, is just an extension of their argument that religious belief and actions/traditions following from it are ridiculous. Like you said, the whole thing is a parody.


They're drawing an invalid parallel between a faux belief in FSW, which is a parody, and a genuine belief in God, which isn't. Those "beliefs" can't be equated because one is a faux belief and another is a genuinely held belief.


GamingGodzilla wrote:

Ok I probably should've specified what I meant by "we."

The FSM is generally used as an atheist argument, so by we, I meant atheists.

After looking at that website, I can tell it is an extension of the FSM argument. Pastafarianism is a parody religion to show how ridiculous religion is. It is treated like a real religion in order to show other religions how ridiculous they look when encouraging people to believe in their deity. Of course since this is based in America, it mostly goes for christians.

This isn't a real religion that anyone actually believes, it is an argument of evidence, as I said in my above post.


It can't do so by drawing an invalid parallel. Doing so is employing intellectual dishonesty.

I myself can't say "take a chance in believing in the Teleporting Giant Unicorn because I believe it" without being intellectually dishonest because I don't in fact believe, and wouldn't really be offering a genuine article of faith. Another user in this thread was being intellectually dishonest by offering up a "dream" he had of FSM because it's an attempt to trap the discussion by deliberately putting the item of discussion (his supposed experience) under a state of ambiguity.

- If he actually had the experience, I couldn't continue to discredit such experience
- If he didn't have the experience, I couldn't continue to discredit because there is no proof on whether he was lying or just doing parody

One could see that such entrapment belongs in the realm of sophistry. Politicians do that kind of stuff all the time in political debates. I don't accept sophistry in philosophical discussions.


Same goes with anyone arguing religious freedom by saying "here is something I believe in" when they in fact don't.

That, is why courts have struck down the attempts of FSM faux followers in obtaining things such as tax exempt status.

Relativism goes both ways. A belief is only absurd when you don't understand it. To perform a forced induction by saying "Hey, I think what you believe is absurd so it must equal to anything absurd that I could come up with."

Wrong. That's the fallacy of false equivalence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence


NyxUlric wrote:

It isn't a religion, it's used to make a point about Christians wanting evidence for the non-existence of their god...but when non-Christians ask for evidence to prove the non-existence of FSM or pink invisible unicorn or whatever, they can't do it. So why don't they believe in those things if they can't prove the FSM doesn't exist?
Just put leprechauns in place of FSM if this point is too hard for you to grasp.

What does it matter whether it's a parody or not? Do you think god wasn't made up by people? And by much much less intelligent people who didn't even know how to multiply or divide or know how the universe came about. Why would you put your trust in such uneducated and mentally ill people?

God and religion are the biggest scams of all time, and it's truly sad that 2000 years later, people still continue to believe in such nonsense.


See my responses to other two users above. I'm going to edit this together into one reply.

In addition to what I've already said, there is evidence- Eyewitness evidence as recorded in the works of Jesus.

There are too many assumptions in what you've written. You think it's made up, and you think that whoever believes are crazy and uneducated. Not so.

The following is written by Simon Greenleaf, a founder of Harvard Law School who initially was trying to discredit Christianity but changed his mind and became a Christian after being convinced when he reviewed it like a case in which eyewitness evidence is presented:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/jesus/greenleaf.html

Would you put your trust in a founder of Harvard Law School?

Even when put aside the entire issue of religion, there is the issue of intellectual honesty as I have noted above.

Lastly, when you make statements, you have to back them up with facts, not more and more lines of opinions. Opinions don't back up more opinions. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_by_assertion

68906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
East Coast
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of this important video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16
I would like to add that beliefs don't arise out of a vacuum. When one doesn't bother investigating the origins of beliefs before a flat dismissal, that's intellectual laziness. It is precisely because beliefs don't arise out of a vacuum that attempts at lampooning beliefs by artificially constructing exaggerations result in false equivalencies.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.