Post Reply I can't visualize when I read so I write instead.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/16
When it comes to reading books, I can NOT visualize when I read. I can't see what is happening in the story. So this is why I write stories but every good writer needs to read. I was told by someone that maybe I am not meant to read but to write instead. Whenever I am reading a book by another author, my mind wanders and gets crowded. I am already thinking of ideas for my own story. And I can see those ideas vividly than I do when I read books. I'm starting to think that someone was right. Maybe reading isn't for me but writing is. But I can't see anything when I read other than the words. Does anyone have this problem? How do you manage to get through it? Got any advice or tips for me.
I also have ADHD which might play a huge factor in it. But this is something that has been going on since I was younger. And I can't fix it. What do you think?
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/22/16
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

So, it seems like you don't enjoy reading prose.

If that's the case, then why do you want to write prose? Why not try to write something you enjoy reading/watching?

If you don't draw, you'd need to find an artist to make a comic, and I understand that the idea of that, of letting someone in that much, can be kind of uncomfortable... but if you don't like reading, then why would you want to make something you don't like...?

42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

So, it seems like you don't enjoy reading prose.

If that's the case, then why do you want to write prose? Why not try to write something you enjoy reading/watching?

If you don't draw, you'd need to find an artist to make a comic, and I understand that the idea of that, of letting someone in that much, can be kind of uncomfortable... but if you don't like reading, then why would you want to make something you don't like...?




What I am asking is if anybody has the same problem and how they handle it. I can't visualize when I read so I prefer to write my stories. But even writers read other stories to get better at writing. But I can' visualize when I read.
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/22/16
It's not "even writer read stories."

It's, "Writers write because they enjoy reading stories."

Just like "guitar players play the guitar because they like hearing guitar music." or, "film directors make films because they like watching films."

Why would you want to write stories if you don't enjoy reading stories? Why would you try to devote your life to an art form you don't like?
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:

It's not "even writer read stories."

It's, "Writers write because they enjoy reading stories."

Just like "guitar players play the guitar because they like hearing guitar music." or, "film directors make films because they like watching films."

Why would you want to write stories if you don't enjoy reading stories? Why would you try to devote your life to an art form you don't like?


Well I simply love to write but I do like to read it's just I can't visualize when I read.
qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16
I don't really visualize when I read either, and I adore devouring stories. People process information differently, don't let it get to you too much.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/16

qwueri wrote:

I don't really visualize when I read either, and I adore devouring stories. People process information differently, don't let it get to you too much.


Then how are you able to grasp what goes on in a story if you don't visualize it?
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


qwueri wrote:

I don't really visualize when I read either, and I adore devouring stories. People process information differently, don't let it get to you too much.


Then how are you able to grasp what goes on in a story if you don't visualize it?


Yeah, I think both of you are using different meanings of "visualize".

You know, though, you just might not be reading good books. It's so hard nowadays to find good works in any medium... so maybe try a different type of book...?
qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

Then how are you able to grasp what goes on in a story if you don't visualize it?


That's hard to describe. Like echos of conversation in the back of my head as I'm reading it I suppose. The same way you might have a conversation with someone without seeing their face, or glance at numbers and remember the sequence from a brief glance. I process the information and carry on. If I try to visualize everything it'd take way too long reading.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/22/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


qwueri wrote:

I don't really visualize when I read either, and I adore devouring stories. People process information differently, don't let it get to you too much.


Then how are you able to grasp what goes on in a story if you don't visualize it?


Yeah, I think both of you are using different meanings of "visualize".


24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16

qwueri wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Then how are you able to grasp what goes on in a story if you don't visualize it?


That's hard to describe. Like echos of conversation in the back of my head as I'm reading it I suppose. The same way you might have a conversation with someone without seeing their face, or glance at numbers and remember the sequence from a brief glance. I process the information and carry on. If I try to visualize everything it'd take way too long reading.


That's visualizing. At least, that's a form of it.

If you don't stop in the middle of the page and think, "Wait, where were they again?", you're visualizing. Because the words on the page don't have a background like a still from an anime would.

"She sat in a chair, in the corner of a large room, by the window, reading a book and sipping tea." If this sentence makes any sense to you, it's because you're visualizing it. You know what large rooms are like, and what small rooms are like, and you know what windows are, and you know what chairs are, and you know what books are. You put all of those together and put the character in the middle. That's what visualizing is.

Now, that doesn't have a lot of detail, and a good writer will add more detail to make the scene come alive. If the writer's style is a style you like, that scene will come alive in your head, like you're watching a movie. If it doesn't make a movie in your head, maybe you need to find a different style of author, or stick to a different medium.
qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:

That's visualizing. At least, that's a form of it.

If you don't stop in the middle of the page and think, "Wait, where were they again?", you're visualizing. Because the words on the page don't have a background like a still from an anime would.

"She sat in a chair, in the corner of a large room, by the window, reading a book and sipping tea." If this sentence makes any sense to you, it's because you're visualizing it. You know what large rooms are like, and what small rooms are like, and you know what windows are, and you know what chairs are, and you know what books are. You put all of those together and put the character in the middle. That's what visualizing is.

Now, that doesn't have a lot of detail, and a good writer will add more detail to make the scene come alive. If the writer's style is a style you like, that scene will come alive in your head, like you're watching a movie. If it doesn't make a movie in your head, maybe you need to find a different style of author, or stick to a different medium.


That's the thing, no matter what I read, it takes way too much time and work to 'make a movie' from what I'm reading. It has nothing to do with my enjoyment level either. I may catch a flash of emotion or movement, but even the detail like a medium size room immediately shits to extraneous details until it impacts a character. Most book I adore have more to do with the emotion a character can evoke. That's just how I process information when reading.

Visualization is what I use more for breaking down art into basic forms or recalling an image.

*When eating orange chicken, do you have a movie of the orange sauce wrapping bite sized pieces of crispy fried chicken? I taste the sweetness of the sugar, the bitterness of the orange, the flow of the sauce, the crispiness and faint airiness of fried flower, the texture and flavor of the meat, and aroma of it lingering in the air. Seeing the picture can help me expect what to taste, but is not required to enjoy the dish.
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/23/16


I'm really not sure what you're talking about... why do you say you "can't visualize" things. When you read books, do you understand the story? Do you enjoy it? If so, then who told you you're reading it wrong, and like... why?

If it was someone in a school don't listen to them. Schools are full of all sorts of arbitrary oversimplification. Which is probably why half the people online can only think in checklists, as opposed to actual ideas.

But like... if you enjoy reading things... then you're not wrong.

If you do lose track of the story half way through, maybe visualization isn't the issue, though. Maybe, like I said, you just need to find authors you like more.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:



I'm really not sure what you're talking about... why do you say you "can't visualize" things. When you read books, do you understand the story? Do you enjoy it? If so, then who told you you're reading it wrong, and like... why?

If it was someone in a school don't listen to them. Schools are full of all sorts of arbitrary oversimplification. Which is probably why half the people online can only think in checklists, as opposed to actual ideas.

But like... if you enjoy reading things... then you're not wrong.

If you do lose track of the story half way through, maybe visualization isn't the issue, though. Maybe, like I said, you just need to find authors you like more.


No!


I can't visualize when I read because my mind is cluttered and it's hard for me to see the characters and the scenes come to life before my eyes.

When you read a story how do you see the characters and what goes on in the story?
You must be logged in to post.