First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Should prostitution be legalized?
13127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

Humms wrote:

No, because we would not be able to control it. Not like we can control it now, but if it's legal, more taxes, more paperwork, more dead trees, bad for environment.

So I gladly say no hell no.


Anti-prostitution on environmentalist grounds...never seen that before.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 9 days ago
Short answer: Yes. It should be legalized. however, it should also be heavily regulated for health and safety.

Long answer (My perspective.): I'm a Christian, therefore prostitution is a sin. However, it is not my job to create policy to tell other people how to live based on what I consider a sin. In fact, my Bible never tells me to go out and turn my nation's laws into a reflection of that religion.
And considering all the other sins that are completely legal, any Christian that tells you otherwise is lying to themselves.
My job is only to love people. Giving people reasonable freedom of choice, free fucking will, is what God did for us as his first act of love after our creation.
Therefore, while potentially harmful, it only directly harms consenting adults. So, it isn't any of my business, or anyone else's, and we have no right to prevent it. And to prevent as much harm as possible, the government can require health inspections and check-ups along with other safety regs.

28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

dougeprofile wrote:
More sex slavery, more disease, more divorces, more children with a prostitute for a mother ...so, no.


Actually, less. Having it be illegal is more dangerous to those involved than having it legal and eliminating it is virtually impossible. Its going to be there one way or another so the people in it should be legitimized and protected. We should not be causing undo suffering on the basis of nothing more than legislating morality.



sundin13 wrote:


Humms wrote:

No, because we would not be able to control it. Not like we can control it now, but if it's legal, more taxes, more paperwork, more dead trees, bad for environment.

So I gladly say no hell no.


Anti-prostitution on environmentalist grounds...never seen that before.


That....is a new argument, yes. I don't see the problem with more tax revenue though and hey, computers exist now. At least if you're working in a government agency that doesn't have to track firearms anyway.



10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16

dougeprofile wrote:

More sex slavery, more disease, more divorces, more children with a prostitute for a mother ...so, no.


Lol. I'd argue:

Less sex slavery - you can't use slavery in a legal, documented industry.

More disease - I promise, with regulations, the prostitutes are much less likely to have or spread disease.

More divorces - Probably less, actually. I mean, when someone cheats for sexual pleasure now, it usually comes with emotional ties that lead to divorce. At least with prostitution, they can get in, get satisfied, and get out.

More children with a prostitute for a mother - Doubtful. At MOST equal. More regs means less pregnancy resulting from prostitution.


Look, I'm Christian, and I acknowledge the moral implications of such a thing. BUT, seriously, your argument is more flimsy than the condoms these prostitutes will be using.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
It already is legal?

35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/23/16 , edited 10/23/16
It certainly seems like a good idea to give sex workers an alternative to black market employers who aren't beholden to any sort of labour or safety standards, and it certainly seems like a good way to ensure fair and appropriate compensation for sex workers' labour is actually guaranteed and that they enjoy the full complement of their rights as employees of commercial enterprises. Tax revenue raised from legal prostitution would be helpful, but sex work is also the kind of thing that's pretty easy to do under the table so I'm not sure how much would actually be raised compared to what would hypothetically be raised. I'd have to check out the numbers on that in places it's already legal to be sure. Regardless, some is more than none, and if sex work is illegal then you have none.

All in all, I favour the proposal.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
No. Absolutely not.
17749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
yes, its a good idea. put a hard cap on how many in one area, and outlaw brothels or pimps.
or just avoid alot of problems and make illegal of ask, abut legal for her to offer.
Posted 10/23/16

jtjumper wrote:

No. Absolutely not.


24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/24/16

BlueOni wrote:

It certainly seems like a good idea to give sex workers an alternative to black market employers who aren't beholden to any sort of labour or safety standards, and it certainly seems like a good way to ensure fair and appropriate compensation for sex workers' labour is actually guaranteed and that they enjoy the full complement of their rights as employees of commercial enterprises. Tax revenue raised from legal prostitution would be helpful, but sex work is also the kind of thing that's pretty easy to do under the table so I'm not sure how much would actually be raised compared to what would hypothetically be raised. I'd have to check out the numbers on that in places it's already legal to be sure. Regardless, some is more than none, and if sex work is illegal then you have none.

All in all, I favour the proposal.


You could raise the penalty on those caught doing illegal prostitution. Just like those who sell bootleg liqour or smuggle tobacco outside state lines. Cite safety concerns and then add incentives like cheap government background checks and psychological evaluations for companies and people who do it legally. That could reduce the black market to those with more distasteful attractions. Police can better focus their efforts.
10574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/24/16
Background checks and five-day waiting periods for purchases of prostitutes?
Posted 10/24/16

ClothStatue wrote:

Yes, prostitution is a perfectly acceptable profession.


The government's role should not be one of legislating morality, if something you are doing isn't infringing on the freedom of another individual than there is no reason to ban it.


I don't really have any more time for the forums but that's kind of impossible. All laws have a moral basis by their very nature, and no one can be given freedom without restricting others or yourself in some way. It's a bit of a paradox. It's just a matter of debating which freedoms should and should not be allowed.


The line is where it begins to impact others. You have the right to do anything you want to yourself, so long as you're not hurting others. At least that's the gist of the individualist with respect to others.


That said, no fkn way I would ever go to that window, I like my dick where it is, the way it is, undiseased and fully operational.

Relationships are another thing bankers make bad by sullying the economy as a whole, making more people turn to prostitution.

22089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Online
Posted 10/24/16

The line is where it begins to impact others. You have the right to do anything you want to yourself, so long as you're not hurting others. At least that's the gist of the individualist with respect to others.


Easily said, but instances where your decisions only affect yourself are far more rare than people seem to think. But I agree with you nonetheless.
5809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/24/16
yes it should be legal otherwise they have to work outside the law which in turns puts them in a bad situtation.

well if its legal. don't have to worry about abusive pimps as much, less danger of sti's more willing to work with the legal system, safer etc. in truth i don't see any bad side to it.
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9 days ago
Thought I give this a bump because we are on the other side of the election. With weed becoming more acceptable I think this is next in line. By next election season we should see it pop up in some states.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.