First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Cliches that you always avoid when it comes to fiction novels
22136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

That's a first for me.


From what I've seen tho it's more or less fallen out of favor to use dogs in any writing, so it hardly comes up anymore. Love puppers irl but it's really hard to not make them cliche in writing.
22136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

It's somewhat of an exaggeration. I mean sure that couple two went through that traumatic ordeal together, but that doesn't mean that they're both compatible because of that.

It's hard to out into words, but there's a certain atmosphere when the two interact that indicates whether they would make a good couple. When two characters get together without hitting any internal check boxes that they would be good together I end up getting annoyed.


That's usually the case with romance sideplots, but I agree, most romance novels are bad because it's usually pretty shallow (at worst, creepy) reasons why they like each other. I think a lot of people make these couples the same reason why Gary Stu's with inexplicable harems are so popular in anime. The MC is enough of a blank slate to where the audience can easily self insert themselves into him, and so a lot of romance novels use shallow characters because then more people and couples can easily insert them into those roles.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16
I avoid avoiding cliches.

Just catch anything that doesn't work in edits.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16
Characters that are obvious -dere characters.
4794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/25/16

Syndicaidramon wrote:

Characters that are obvious -dere characters.


But what about the yandere?
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

Characters that are obvious -dere characters.


But what about the yandere? :(


They're the worst of all -dere types. Even worse than the obvious tsundere and deredere characters.
And that is quite a feat...
4794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/25/16

Syndicaidramon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

Characters that are obvious -dere characters.


But what about the yandere? :(


They're the worst of all -dere types. Even worse than the obvious tsundere and deredere characters.
And that is quite a feat...


Nah mate you got it backwards. They are the best ones by far
3606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 10/25/16
I avoid:

Anything with the back cover mentioning a couple (bonus points for mentioning a same sex couple because it's 'cool' to do that now)
Zombies
Vampires
Urban Fantasy
Anything that sounds pretentious
Anything with the back cover mentioning a lack of gender (started doing that after reading Ancillary Justice... just effin gag me now)

I used to also avoid a lot of science fiction by female authors because it'd end up having romance in it, and I feel like any kind of book whether it be whatever genre should actually be listed as romance so that I can avoid dumb crap like that, but lately I've seen a lot of really awesome writing by women authors in that category so I've started branching out more into it.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

Characters that are obvious -dere characters.


But what about the yandere? :(


They're the worst of all -dere types. Even worse than the obvious tsundere and deredere characters.
And that is quite a feat...


Nah mate you got it backwards. They are the best ones by far


Nope. Because while deredere characters are totally unrealistic and not believable and both they and tsundere characters are annoying, at least they're not horrible people.
Yandere characters are.
7563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Online
Posted 10/25/16
Vampires
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

IshokuOsero wrote:

I avoid:

Anything with the back cover mentioning a couple (bonus points for mentioning a same sex couple because it's 'cool' to do that now)
Zombies
Vampires
Urban Fantasy
Anything that sounds pretentious
Anything with the back cover mentioning a lack of gender (started doing that after reading Ancillary Justice... just effin gag me now)

I used to also avoid a lot of science fiction by female authors because it'd end up having romance in it, and I feel like any kind of book whether it be whatever genre should actually be listed as romance so that I can avoid dumb crap like that, but lately I've seen a lot of really awesome writing by women authors in that category so I've started branching out more into it.


What does that mean? Can you give an example?
Also is there anything that you DO like aside from Sci-Fi?
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/16
angsty dark teen romance/drama/etc lol

there's 3246567 harry potters and twilights and idk what else

there is only one hunger games though
3606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

Syndicaidramon wrote:


IshokuOsero wrote:

I avoid:

Anything with the back cover mentioning a couple (bonus points for mentioning a same sex couple because it's 'cool' to do that now)
Zombies
Vampires
Urban Fantasy
Anything that sounds pretentious
Anything with the back cover mentioning a lack of gender (started doing that after reading Ancillary Justice... just effin gag me now)

I used to also avoid a lot of science fiction by female authors because it'd end up having romance in it, and I feel like any kind of book whether it be whatever genre should actually be listed as romance so that I can avoid dumb crap like that, but lately I've seen a lot of really awesome writing by women authors in that category so I've started branching out more into it.


What does that mean? Can you give an example?
Also is there anything that you DO like aside from Sci-Fi?


Ancillary Justice is my one example off the top of my head. They went so in depth to continuously point out that the novel was written from a computer's POV and it didn't know gender pronouns and would always mess up if it was using male or female pronouns and get in trouble about it. It was really annoying and was continuously mentioned to the point where it felt like it was basically every other page. I just kept thinking throughout the book, "YES, I am AWARE you have no clue what the hell you're even doing, ugh" .

And of course I do. I read plenty of fantasy and plenty of really engaging slightly sci-fi but off the beaten path sorts of novels. I just tend to read enough to where a lot of stuff just gets regurgitated over and over. It's like watching anime, you have all these tropes and after a while just about all of them are eyeroll enducing. But where I can watch the same general slice of life stuff over and over again because it's animated and the characters are at least different, I can't force myself through a book that feels just like every other book I've read. It's an entirely different medium for me.

My latest a-typical reads (that I loved) have been:

Flex, Flux, Fix trilogy by Ferrett Steinmetz
Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
Zeroes by Chuck Wendig
A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
The Mirror Empire, Empire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley
Linesman, Alliance by S.K. Dunstall
4794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/25/16

Syndicaidramon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

Characters that are obvious -dere characters.


But what about the yandere? :(


They're the worst of all -dere types. Even worse than the obvious tsundere and deredere characters.
And that is quite a feat...


Nah mate you got it backwards. They are the best ones by far


Nope. Because while deredere characters are totally unrealistic and not believable and both they and tsundere characters are annoying, at least they're not horrible people.
Yandere characters are.


What's wrong with being a horrible person? Well okay, I know what's wrong with that but not when it's a fictional character. There are tons of characters people love who are horrible people.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

octorockandroll

What's wrong with being a horrible person? Well okay, I know what's wrong with that but not when it's a fictional character. There are tons of characters people love who are horrible people.


Because in order for me to like a character, at least ONE of the following criteria must be met:

1. I Identify with them.
2. I understand them and their point of view, even if I don't agree or identify with them.
3. I am able to find amusement/humor in their personality and antics (like for instance Eric Cartman from South Park or Hades from Disney's Hercules)
4. I find a character to have inspiring aspects of themselves (like in qualities such as relentless perserverence for instance)
5. The character must have SOME redeemable aspect of their character.

Neither of these are the case with most yandere characters. At least the ones I remember seeing. They're just selfish, unempathetic, abusive, awful people, plain and simple. And because so many anime/manga authors are lazy-ass otakus, they incestually re-produce the same archetypes while rarely bringing anything new to the table (see for instance: every moe show/manga ever) because they think archetype = character (which it fucking doesn't), leaving them with no unique or redeemable character traits.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.