First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Judaism a race?
28204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

lorreen wrote:
Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.


Did you correct the title spelling? Bless your heart.

It was lodged in my OCD like a bit of popcorn kernel in your back teeth.
Posted 10/25/16

lorreen wrote:

Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.



Is it the same thing with other major religions?
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 10/25/16
I guess back before Christianity all Jews were middle-easterners.
One Punch Mod
85833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

stars201 wrote:


lorreen wrote:

Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.



Is it the same thing with other major religions?


Probably some, but certainly not all. In the case of Judaism it's because it's not a religion in which proselytizing is a thing. They aren't about converting others. In contrast that is a big part of many Christian activities--spreading the "Good News" to neighbors and strangers around the world.


ETA: I realized after posting that this could be read in a sarcastic way that I didn't intend. For a little bit more detail of what I actually meant, please see my reply to nanikore2 here:

/forumtopic-970863/is-judaism-a-race?pg=1#55071507
6947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 10/25/16
Well it all depends on what century you are talking about. In all no, like Lorren stated is a religion of who they are.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

lorreen wrote:


stars201 wrote:


lorreen wrote:

Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.



Is it the same thing with other major religions?


Probably some, but certainly not all. In the cas of Judaism it's because it's not a religion in which proselytizing is a thing. They aren't about converting others. In contrast that is a big part of many Christian activities--spreading the "Good News" to neighbors and strangers around the world.


Are you editorializing?
14743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

nanikore2 wrote:


lorreen wrote:
Probably some, but certainly not all. In the cas of Judaism it's because it's not a religion in which proselytizing is a thing. They aren't about converting others. In contrast that is a big part of many Christian activities--spreading the "Good News" to neighbors and strangers around the world.


Are you editorializing?


No, he's doing what he always does--Pretending the troll is a "real poster" who's bringing "intriguing new discussions to our curious little group".
WHY? WHY, WHY WHY???

(Oh no, here he comes to ban me again, to banish me to Meanie Island!)
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

Ejanss wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


lorreen wrote:
Probably some, but certainly not all. In the cas of Judaism it's because it's not a religion in which proselytizing is a thing. They aren't about converting others. In contrast that is a big part of many Christian activities--spreading the "Good News" to neighbors and strangers around the world.


Are you editorializing?


No, he's doing what he always does--Pretending the troll is a "real poster" who's bringing "intriguing new discussions to our curious little group".
WHY? WHY, WHY WHY???

(Oh no, here he comes to ban me again, to banish me to Meanie Island!)


"he"?
14743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16


"She", "It", "They", whatthehellever! How can we STOP "her"?
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

Ejanss wrote:

"She", "It", "They", whatthehellever! How can we STOP "her"?


We can't. She's not paid. If she is on a payroll, then there's a way.
5102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/25/16
Judaism is a religion. Jewish can refer to both the religion and the ethnicity/nationality.
2445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minnesota
Offline
Posted 10/25/16

runec wrote:


lorreen wrote:
Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.


Did you correct the title spelling? Bless your heart.

It was lodged in my OCD like a bit of popcorn kernel in your back teeth.


Oh god, I hate when that happens. Especially when it gets stuck in the back of your throat and it gives you a sore throat for days.
6073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/26/16

lorreen wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


lorreen wrote:

> Judaism is a religion, but it's closely tied with a culture and ethnicity.



Oh, thank you, Lorreen--You fixed the TITLE! That solves EVERYTHING!!!


Of course it doesn't. But leaving the thread open does allow for some education to happen, in spite of of 52infinity's insensitive way of asking.



Meh all anyone has to do is say i'm upsetting them and i'll try to work through it. Weird though that the OP can't edit the thread na-ver mind I see how that could be troublesome.

> I feel like people are focusing to much on the ethnic part.


Idk people see ethnicity as the same thing as race where I live.

Race to me is genetics so as long as you're a good person I couldn't care less what race you are.

Ethnicity as I have come to see it is just your cultural background so ditto.
One Punch Mod
85833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

nanikore2 wrote:


lorreen wrote:
Probably some, but certainly not all. In the cas of Judaism it's because it's not a religion in which proselytizing is a thing. They aren't about converting others. In contrast that is a big part of many Christian activities--spreading the "Good News" to neighbors and strangers around the world.

Are you editorializing?


A small amount, I suppose. I just re-read what I wrote though and I think it came off snarky and sarcastic when that isn't my feeling and wasn't my intention at all. I do mean that I think Jews retain a close tie between religion, ethnicity, and culture in part because it's not a tenet of the religion to recruit converts, so the religion doesn't spread much beyond people who are born into or marry into families that are also ethnically and culturally Jewish, and that this is different from Christianity which is a religion that has a long history of converting non-Christians, and where teaching about Christianity and persuading others to become Christians is often seen as a duty of being a good Christian. I carelessly picked up the "good news" wording in my prior reply because the phrase was so central to what I was taught when I was a young Christian and I meant no ill by it. I think there are both bad things and good things about the conversion aspect of Christianity. (Full disclosure: I am not currently a Christian or religious at all, but I consider myself to be religion-friendly in general.)


52infinity wrote:

Meh all anyone has to do is say i'm upsetting them and i'll try to work through it. Weird though that the OP can't edit the thread na-ver mind I see how that could be troublesome.


I'm not sure what you are saying here. You should be able to edit your opening post; just not the title.


] > I feel like people are focusing to much on the ethnic part.


How so?
14743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/25/16 , edited 10/25/16

lorreen wrote:


] > I feel like people are focusing to much on the ethnic part.


How so?


Y'know, Lor, I have this image of you watching a nightclub standup comic, walking up onstage, and having a heartfelt discussion with him:

"I confess, sir, you bring up an interesting point that puzzles me: I'm not sure how your 'arms would be tired' after arriving at the airport, as I've flown many airlines, and I've found them quite comfortable...Could you possibly clear up your meaning in greater detail? And I'm still not quite sure why you say you 'bit' that earlier person you mentioned who was looking for a handout--Is this your solution to the homelessness problem?"
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.