First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Male Crossplay Banned at Tokyo Comic-con
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Dayum. I mean, I don't really care what bathroom a transgender person uses....UNLESS they are exposing the opposite sex genitalia as this person was.

I mean, if my daughters were in this situation, Coleen Francis may have received a free sex change.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/27/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



You're kinda proving her point about you not putting thought into this...


There is no 'thought' to put into it.


You summed up your entire attitude towards just about anything in 8 words, kudos.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



You're kinda proving her point about you not putting thought into this...


There is no 'thought' to put into it.


You summed up your entire attitude towards just about anything in 8 words, kudos.


Actually, neither of you are putting thought into it.

Let me explain:

The Coleen Francis situation is not a transgender situation, but a sexual deviance situation.

Coleen Francis's behavior was not acceptable in a men's bathroom, much less a women's. This person was basically walking around naked, and chilling in a woman's sauna with their dick just hanging out. I mean, you can't even chill in a man's sauna with your dick just hanging out. Men don't walk around nude.

Now, the problem is, stupid people with your beliefs defend this person by some false sense of justice for transgender persons. The stupid on the other side uses this as evidence that transgender people cause such problems.

Nope, Coleen Francis was doing some really dickish things, got called on it, and hid behind accusations of bigotry.

It's way different.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 10/27/16
Is this supposed to bother me?
35962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Online
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16

octorockandroll wrote:



You summed up your entire attitude towards just about anything in 8 words, kudos.


22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Online
Posted 10/27/16

First, I think the only thing more stupid than a male cosplaying a female character is that they are getting banned for doing it.

I mean, if that was a picture of a dude cosplaying a female character, kudos. Pretty smexy for the owner of a penis. Not stupid at all. I mean, he owns that shit.

But then you got these guys


Honestly, though, with no jokes.... I see no issue with it, at all. This does seem like bigotry.

Also, female cosplay is almost always awesome, under any circumstances.


Agreed, it's really just a waste of everyone's time to make bans like that, they aren't hurting anyone (in the case of the people who use the painfully overdone drag sailor moon joke, I just look the other way >.<').
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Online
Posted 10/27/16



Actually, neither of you are putting thought into it.

Let me explain:

The Coleen Francis situation is not a transgender situation, but a sexual deviance situation.

Coleen Francis's behavior was not acceptable in a men's bathroom, much less a women's. This person was basically walking around naked, and chilling in a woman's sauna with their dick just hanging out. I mean, you can't even chill in a man's sauna with your dick just hanging out. Men don't walk around nude.

Now, the problem is, stupid people with your beliefs defend this person by some false sense of justice for transgender persons. The stupid on the other side uses this as evidence that transgender people cause such problems.

Nope, Coleen Francis was doing some really dickish things, got called on it, and hid behind accusations of bigotry.

It's way different.


I can see what you mean. I don't know the school's policy for nudity in locker rooms but if it says no then it says no. However it's not always illegal, many institutions with open showers and public baths (we have a few of them, Americans are abnormally prudish though, so there's not a lot of public baths around but you can find them if you look) and trans women are free to use them, so it really depends on the organizations guidelines in question. Still, I think people are just not used to it, I've never been in that situation myself but then again I don't use public showers or baths ever so I probably never would be and there's so few trans women in the world that it's probably super rare as it is, but I think at times people can seriously overreact. However if it's against the rules, it's against the rules, and then that's a messy situation for her.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 10/27/16
They've already removed the ban, though gender coloured badges are required instead:

http://www.cbr.com/tokyo-comic-con-lifts-ban-on-crossplayers/


Tokyo Comic Con has reversed its prohibition on males cosplaying as females (a practice known as “crossplaying”). On its official Facebook page, the convention stated “As a result of a committee conference, we’ve moved forward with removing the ban on (men) dressing as women (characters).” But there’s something new: The convention will issue gender-specific color-coded cosplay badges that will be checked when attendees enter restrooms or changing areas.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16

ClothStatue wrote:



Agreed, it's really just a waste of everyone's time to make bans like that, they aren't hurting anyone (in the case of the people who use the painfully overdone drag sailor moon joke, I just look the other way >.<').


Meh, I still think it's funny. Not in a "look how stupid these people are" way. I personally think they know the absurdity of crossplaying with a beard, and do it tongue-in-cheek. To me, that takes balls and is funny, and I honestly would laugh my ass off and take a picture with one of those guys, if I saw them at a convention. But, I also don't think anyone takes it as a serious attempt at cosplay, and its more of a joke.

Nothing wrong with that joke, if you ask me.

But, in any case, worrying about what costume someone is wearing is stupid, in any case. Personally, just let people have fun. If they aren't affecting you, and you feel like you have any right to tell them what to do, you've got issues.

But, anywho.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/27/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:



You summed up your entire attitude towards just about anything in 8 words, kudos.






You want arguments, do ya? You mean like this one which you completely fucking ignored?


octorockandroll wrote:transgenderism is not a mental illness, as there is no clear inherent link to psychopathology




While we're on the subject, does this ring any bells?


octorockandroll wrote: If you keep ignoring the obvious facts shown to you then you're right about someone here having a mental illness, but it's no the people crossplaying (which is different from transgenderism by the way)


But of course, we can't all have points as grand as "I'm literally not even going to think about it". Wow, you sure got me there, and who could forget the classic where the argument you presented was literally nothing just a quote from me and empty space. Brilliant as always.

Anyway, I've had my fun and you've made it clear you have no intention of actually thinking on this matter, so goodbye.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16

ClothStatue wrote:


I can see what you mean. I don't know the school's policy for nudity in locker rooms but if it says no then it says no. However it's not always illegal, many institutions with open showers and public baths (we have a few of them, Americans are abnormally prudish though, so there's not a lot of public baths around but you can find them if you look) and trans women are free to use them, so it really depends on the organizations guidelines in question. Still, I think people are just not used to it, I've never been in that situation myself but then again I don't use public showers or baths ever so I probably never would be and there's so few trans women in the world that it's probably super rare as it is, but I think at times people can seriously overreact. However if it's against the rules, it's against the rules, and then that's a messy situation for her.


Yeah, but sometimes things don't have to be explicitly against the rules for you to know they are wrong. I mean, honestly, if you were transgender instead of born female, and you had a penis, would you think it was acceptable to expose your penis to children (at all, not just females) and just walk around a locker room and chill in a sauna nude in front of everyone? No. There's a difference in having rights and exercising them, and just being an asshole to prove the point that you can.

And, just note, it WAS on a college campus, but the facilities were open to the public and families with younger children did use them.
1136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 10/27/16
Welp. Rip my Sona Cosplay.
As well as the stupid idea me and my friend came up with to cosplay Panty and Stockings.
561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 10/27/16
I'm not really surprised because as much as I appreciate certain aspects of Japanese culture, it would be false to deny that it is still largely misogynistic, xenophobic, and homophobic.
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Online
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16

Yeah, but sometimes things don't have to be explicitly against the rules for you to know they are wrong. I mean, honestly, if you were transgender instead of born female, and you had a penis, would you think it was acceptable to expose your penis to children (at all, not just females) and just walk around a locker room and chill in a sauna nude in front of everyone? No. There's a difference in having rights and exercising them, and just being an asshole to prove the point that you can.

And, just note, it WAS on a college campus, but the facilities were open to the public and families with younger children did use them.


Well I mean of course not to children, I can understand what happened in her case for that reason. Hmm for the sauna that takes a lot of imagination for me, I really can't say I know what it's like to be in that situation or imagine that experience from a trans woman's view accurately but I can see your point, I wouldn't want to make people uncomfortable, I've never gone to a sauna tho so I don't really know what that's like either. But talking my side of the fence if it was a shower or a changing room and they were just minding their own business I don't think it'd be prudent to scream or throw things at them or slap them or call management or whatever, I'd be really surprised, but if feel that might be a little extreme to say the least. I'm totally with you on having restraint and you're free to look down on people for not exercising it but their right is still their right so in the eyes of the law it's a moot point. >.>'
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Online
Posted 10/27/16

I'm not really surprised because as much as I appreciate certain aspects of Japanese culture, it would be false to deny that it is still largely misogynistic, xenophobic, and homophobic.


This is really true. I try to understand Japanese social politics so I can attribute that to an extent to what I watch, like trying to watch and give money to shows that have more progressive messages like female police officers and detectives or positive LGBT+ representation, I feel a little obligated as an anime fan to try and do my part to make it more welcoming, especially to Japanese minorities in their own country.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.