First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply arbys is bringing venison to their menu
10646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16
Fortunately the cut in the picture probably has nothing to do with the sandwich. The actual "meat" may actually be reprocessed to produce uniform pieces, so it would have a consistent mouth feel and would not have the toughness of real game.
14779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16

gornotck wrote:

Fortunately the cut in the picture probably has nothing to do with the sandwich. The actual "meat" may actually be reprocessed to produce uniform pieces, so it would have a consistent mouth feel and would not have the toughness of real game.


Think it's trying to A) sell redneck appeal but also B ) try to cash in on "Game meat"'s new food trend for having less cholesterol than farm beef.
Rare buffalo would be fantastic in an Arby's, and an ostrich hamburger is almost indistinguishable from the best beef, but venison...is not exactly the stuff for roasting and slicing. It's more of a stew meat, FWIH.

(And yeah, as the article says, what IS it with the Daily Show jokes, anyway? Did Arby's go through some health-scare like Chipotle?)
runec 
28322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/27/16
Sogno- 
45742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16
it ain't as good as the real stuff

that's really cool though. hopefully people will be open to trying it
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/27/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Damn. Why can they provide it at Arby's, but you aren't able to buy it in the store?

For me it doesn't matter much, I almost always have a freezer with venison.


Some guy bought a bunch of land, a shit ton of land, and got him a herd of deer to raise. When he went out to look at them the next day, they was all gone. They'd migrated away somewhere..... Now he's broke.

Not a true story, but it's true. You know?
3490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In a Yaoi Fanfic
Online
Posted 10/27/16
I don't eat at Arby's anyways.

Something about that place makes me want to avoid it.
37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16 , edited 10/27/16
I like venison. My dad was a hunter and we always had a deep freezer full of it. Not really interested in what Arbys is offering though.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

Damn. Why can they provide it at Arby's, but you aren't able to buy it in the store?

For me it doesn't matter much, I almost always have a freezer with venison.


Some guy bought a bunch of land, a shit ton of land, and got him a herd of deer to raise. When he went out to look at them the next day, they was all gone. They'd migrated away somewhere..... Now he's broke.

Not a true story, but it's true. You know?


I actually know way more about hunting and deer than anyone who's never shot a deer should.

Thing is, there are some places with high fences that raise trophy deer. They aren't even fucking hunting. The deer are tame as shit. The feeder spits out feed, and they come running. A guide points out deer and says, "Can't shoot that one, or that one, or that one. They're all too young. That one is $2k. This one is $5k. This one is $3k." Then they pick out the deer they want and shoot. It's dumb as hell.

BUT, trophy hunting in the wild is probably the best way to hunt. Why? Because a deer in the wild only lives ot be about 6-7 years max. Trophy hunters don't like shooting deer under 5 years. And there are ways, such as watching the same deer on game cameras for years and the way the buck's body is built, to tell how old the deer is. I know a guy who hunts under MLD management. They have a biologist that ages the deer and determines bucks that can be culled. Actually, over the course of about ten years, the quality of deer in the area has improved simply because of trigger control.

Really, the only tragic hunting is the assholes who poach and spotlight deer at night. They kill anything they see, and it puts a huge dent in the deer population.

And what the hell is my point behind all of this?

Well, if a mother fucker can raise genetically tampered stupid mutant monster bucks and sell them at thousands each, I cannot see how raising deer for meat is actually difficult.

Same with rabbits. In other countries you can buy them at the butcher.

I want more meat choices, dammit. Vegetarians have all kinds of crazy shit. I mean, if they can figure out how to make vegan burgers, why can't I get some damned kangaroo, deer, rabbit, or some other crazy shit.
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/27/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

Damn. Why can they provide it at Arby's, but you aren't able to buy it in the store?

For me it doesn't matter much, I almost always have a freezer with venison.


Some guy bought a bunch of land, a shit ton of land, and got him a herd of deer to raise. When he went out to look at them the next day, they was all gone. They'd migrated away somewhere..... Now he's broke.

Not a true story, but it's true. You know?


I actually know way more about hunting and deer than anyone who's never shot a deer should.

Thing is, there are some places with high fences that raise trophy deer. They aren't even fucking hunting. The deer are tame as shit. The feeder spits out feed, and they come running. A guide points out deer and says, "Can't shoot that one, or that one, or that one. They're all too young. That one is $2k. This one is $5k. This one is $3k." Then they pick out the deer they want and shoot. It's dumb as hell.

BUT, trophy hunting in the wild is probably the best way to hunt. Why? Because a deer in the wild only lives ot be about 6-7 years max. Trophy hunters don't like shooting deer under 5 years. And there are ways, such as watching the same deer on game cameras for years and the way the buck's body is built, to tell how old the deer is. I know a guy who hunts under MLD management. They have a biologist that ages the deer and determines bucks that can be culled. Actually, over the course of about ten years, the quality of deer in the area has improved simply because of trigger control.

Really, the only tragic hunting is the assholes who poach and spotlight deer at night. They kill anything they see, and it puts a huge dent in the deer population.

And what the hell is my point behind all of this?

Well, if a mother fucker can raise genetically tampered stupid mutant monster bucks and sell them at thousands each, I cannot see how raising deer for meat is actually difficult.

Same with rabbits. In other countries you can buy them at the butcher.

I want more meat choices, dammit. Vegetarians have all kinds of crazy shit. I mean, if they can figure out how to make vegan burgers, why can't I get some damned kangaroo, deer, rabbit, or some other crazy shit.


Whoa! I have never heard of anything like that! That's pretty sorry. I didn't even know deer could be domesticated like that. I thought they was wild and untamable....
27277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/27/16


Wow, that's really fresh! Maybe I ought to give Arby's a try
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 10/28/16
This will last long enough for people to taste it and that's about it.


If you like venison, cool . . . I used to like the gamier sorts of meats , deer, elk, duck, goose but as I got older it all started to taste like old liver.

Most people don't like lamb and venison is stronger tasting than that.

Just sayin'
10646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/28/16
Lamb's okay. Duck just tasted weird to me. There's really no reason that lamb, mutton, rabbit, duck, goose, and goat aren't served in more fast food restaurants. Arby's claims to be 'where the meat is', but they offer only beef, pork, chicken, and turkey.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/28/16
Meh, I prefer hunting my own deer thank you very much.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/28/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


Whoa! I have never heard of anything like that! That's pretty sorry. I didn't even know deer could be domesticated like that. I thought they was wild and untamable....


Just about anything can be tamed, to some degree or another. I mean, even predators. You can tame a damned tiger, for fucks sake. Now, if you do something stupid or that tiger has a bad day can things get ugly fast? You damned right.

But, I've known people to tame deer. Bottle fed from a fawn. Are they tame like cats and dogs? No. I mean, most of them are skittish of anyone except people they are comfortable with. But, these deer ranches, these deer have gotten so used to people standing close to them and getting fed, they don't care. Can you walk up and pet them? No, probably not. But, you can stand about 10-20 yards away, in the wide open, and shoot one without them being bothered. It's dumb.

But yeah, wild animals are smart enough to be SOMEWHAT tamed. That's how dogs came about. Mother fuckers raising wolves. The wolves that didn't ever lose their shit and bite people lived. Those that were aggressive got killed, and didn't breed. So, after a while, you get dogs. They maintain pack mentality to a degree, but also are more loyal to humans, less skittish, etc.

Why wolves? Well, probably because wolves already have that pack mentality, which makes them less likely to attack, if they believe you are 'Alpha.' You tame a tiger, then you piss that tiger off, he's going to end you, and not give a shit. Could you hypothetically tame them, over the course of generations, to be less like that. Sure, to a degree. But, look at house cats. They're still fickle dickheads. They just aren't big enough to eat you. If house cats could eat you, they would. And, so, it never became worth it to tame big cats.

But, horses, donkeys, camels, other beasts of burden and livestock. We domesticate what is reasonably useful. Taming white tail deer hasn't really been of any value until today. Native Americans could hunt them easily. They have no real use for riding or as beasts of burden, etc. So, domestication just wasn't worth it.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/28/16

GrateSaiyaman wrote:

This will last long enough for people to taste it and that's about it.


If you like venison, cool . . . I used to like the gamier sorts of meats , deer, elk, duck, goose but as I got older it all started to taste like old liver.



Just sayin'


False. Now, if you handle your meat the exact same way, yes.

However, what we do around here is put the deer meat on ice for about a week. We drain the water about once per day, and add more ice. This pulls a ton of blood off of the meat, and it removes that super gamey taste. Now, you do this with a lamb, and they end up tasting similarly stout. Which is to say, just a mild gamey flavor that increases rather than takes away from the quality.

But, I'd rather eat any deer killed around here, that's had this done to the meat, than any lamb you can buy in the store. I gag eating lamb.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.