First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Facebook lets advertisers exclude users by race
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
Another day, another Facebook ad controversy.

Facebook lets advertisers exclude users by race.

Specifically, housing ads.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/10/facebook-lets-advertisers-exclude-users-by-race/


The ad we purchased was targeted to Facebook members who were house hunting and excluded anyone with an “affinity” for African-American, Asian-American, or Hispanic people.

When we showed Facebook’s racial exclusion options to a prominent civil rights lawyer John Relman, he gasped and said, “This is horrifying. This is massively illegal. This is about as blatant a violation of the federal Fair Housing Act as one can find.”

The Fair Housing Act of 1968 makes it illegal "to make, print, or publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.” Violators can face tens of thousands of dollars in fines.


I'm not surprised, because Facebook. Actually I'm not surprised because big, bog-average, cynical, hypocritical, corporate doubletalk...
24251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
Yeah Facebook is a tool, in all the worst ways.
952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
It doesn't surprise me either ..This racist crap needs to end :/
3460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
I hate when people are treated unfairly or as unequals like they're idiots and this just tops it and this defeats the diverse place known as America but racists will have a good time with this. Nobody deserves this, no matter their race or whatever else they identify with, this is just absolutely wrong in every way.
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
Are people seriously complaining about not having their info be sold to third parties by FB so they can be 'custom advertised' to?

Wow 2016 is crazy. Who even looks at houses via facebook?

And don't worry white enclaves will be culturally enriched soon enough, literally thanks Obama.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/05/09/obamas-last-act-force-suburbs-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/29/16


Why did that whole article reek of rich white people complaining. I mean how can text have both social status and race? And yet I am left with a distinct impression of bitchy rich white person.
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/16 , edited 10/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:



Why did that whole article reek of rich white people complaining. I mean how can text have both social status and race? And yet I am left with a distinct impression of bitchy rich white person.


Middle class != rich
The ultra wealthy get to live where ever they want to.
Sure you can call it bitching, but its for good reason. What would you say if it was your mother or grandmother that is the next person to get beat to death during the 'knockout game'? Or burned to death during an armed robbery just for the fun of it. ?

White people move to historically black neighborhoods = racist gentrification
White people leaving formerly white neighborhoods = racist white flight
Importing inner city welfare leeches and third world immigrants = Wonderful diversity and multiculturalism

46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 10/29/16
Huh kinda ironic considering that Facebook of all companies are doing this


Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Are people seriously complaining about not having their info be sold to third parties by FB so they can be 'custom advertised' to?

Wow 2016 is crazy. Who even looks at houses via facebook?

And don't worry white enclaves will be culturally enriched soon enough, literally thanks Obama.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/05/09/obamas-last-act-force-suburbs-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy


You really see things black and white, don't you?
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/16 , edited 10/29/16

Ranwolf wrote:


Let me ask you a question my racist red neck friend . If this old woman was black and this was the inner city would your white privilege behind even be talking about it let alone using it as a justification to make your point?


It wouldn't make the news in the inner city because that shit happens every fucking day.
The only dead blacks black folks (and the media) care about are ones that attacked cops or non blacks and got shot to death.

White privilege = not being a prone to violence, low IQ individual.
Also
'would racist rednecks be talking about black on black violence to make their point'


Lets just say my ironic and very NSFW 'blacklivesmatter' folder begs to differ
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/16 , edited 10/29/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:



You really see things black and white, don't you?


Race you mean? Race is far deeper than skin color, yes. Its genetic.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/29/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Are people seriously complaining about not having their info be sold to third parties by FB so they can be 'custom advertised' to?

Wow 2016 is crazy. Who even looks at houses via facebook?

And don't worry white enclaves will be culturally enriched soon enough, literally thanks Obama.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/05/09/obamas-last-act-force-suburbs-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy


So are the listings against the law, or not?
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/29/16

nanikore2 wrote:



So are the listings against the law, or not?


I doubt it. Sure an attorney says it is. Because he wants money, which he would get either way if he was the one paid to bring a case against the advertiser.

10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/29/16 , edited 10/29/16
Man, sometimes my patience is stretched to its max.

I do not think that targeting ads to certain demographics is racist. You have to spend money on ads. So, if you know that only .02% of black people are going to click the ad, and .04% of white people will click the ad, you're getting double bang for your buck by targeting only white people. The reason for the difference in numbers could be due to a number of things: differences in subculture, self segregation, etc. At a glance it does look racist, but I assure you, the only color they really care about is green. And the truth is that they'd probably have no issue with people of any color, as long as they had the cash.

However, to the person who posted something about home invasions and robberies. Please, please, please stop being so bigoted. Are different races different? Sure. BUT, those differences are primarily superficial things that don't amount to much in the way of behavior and how we should be treated. Those differences are insignificant little traits, and you'll find there's larger differences between individuals or even male and female of our species.

Now, does that mean that black folks are not more likely to commit crime? No. BUT, if you really take a look at the situation, the higher crime rates are due to a subculture and situation that developed aver a long period of time, because white folks oppressed the fuck out of black people. You put ANY race in the situation America put our black brothers and sisters in, and you'll end up with almost the same results every time.

Let's just love each other.
Vahvi 
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Ever Changing
Offline
Posted 10/29/16 , edited 10/29/16
I'm fine without housing ads, now if only they'd stop the rest of the ads and clickbait
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.