First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
What Was Your First Job ?
3706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 11/18/16
Still working it. Retail. Super fun this time of year.
3098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
96 / F / White Earth India...
Offline
Posted 11/18/16
The first job that I actually paid taxes for, was working in sales for an international jeweler. For a very young person I liked the traveling aspect the most.
316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/18/16
Glassie @ a bar/nightclub. Not as fun as it sounds. The after work drinks were fun though.
711 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Tower of Barbs
Offline
Posted 11/18/16
First job was a barista at a Starbucks inside a mall. There were two locations within the mall so my fellow coworkers were swapping between a small kiosk on the third floor food court to the main shop on the second floor.

The job itself was alright. It definitely helped pay for miscellaneous stuff while I went to college. Things were especially hectic during the holiday seasons because we were in the mall. A lot of us sometimes wound up staying a little longer after our shifts ended just to help the on-coming crew tend to customers until things died down. It was fun while it lasted.
60995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Buried under a pi...
Offline
Posted 11/18/16

FruitPunchSamurai987 wrote:

Still working it. Retail. Super fun this time of year.


Ah, yes, my first job was retail too. Since it no longer exists, I'll name it--Mervyn's. HATED the job--ESPECIALLY at this time of year. Working until 1 a.m. is SO MUCH FUN!! Somehow, I lasted until it went bankrupt-- 7.5 years-- and I still kept my sanity. I feel your pain. Best of luck during the holidays--you're going to need it.

19848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Chicago,IL
Offline
Posted 11/18/16
Cashier at a grocery store. A typical first job.
21163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 11/18/16

TiredOfYou wrote:

Being my mother's daughter. That was my first job for sure.


This doesn't sound healthy. You okay girlfriend?

18652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11/19/16
14 years old working for my parents' business.
4360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/16

Art-chan wrote:


FruitPunchSamurai987 wrote:

Still working it. Retail. Super fun this time of year.


Ah, yes, my first job was retail too. Since it no longer exists, I'll name it--Mervyn's. HATED the job--ESPECIALLY at this time of year. Working until 1 a.m. is SO MUCH FUN!! Somehow, I lasted until it went bankrupt-- 7.5 years-- and I still kept my sanity. I feel your pain. Best of luck during the holidays--you're going to need it.




at least they are paying overtime ? with full benefits?

i think Mervyn investors are pretty happy about now

no need to worry about minimum wage, healthcare and carbon taxes.. or whatever regulations they are planning to release next
20123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 11/19/16
at the age of 14 I worked summers as a carpenter. Wow that 22 years ago.
60995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F / Buried under a pi...
Offline
Posted 11/19/16

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:


Art-chan wrote:



Ah, yes, my first job was retail too. Since it no longer exists, I'll name it--Mervyn's. HATED the job--ESPECIALLY at this time of year. Working until 1 a.m. is SO MUCH FUN!! Somehow, I lasted until it went bankrupt-- 7.5 years-- and I still kept my sanity. I feel your pain. Best of luck during the holidays--you're going to need it.




at least they are paying overtime ? with full benefits?

i think Mervyn investors are pretty happy about now

no need to worry about minimum wage, healthcare and carbon taxes.. or whatever regulations they are planning to release next


Back when I worked retail, only managers got full benefits. Part-timers, like I was, didn't. (I seriously doubt that's changed in retail.) Overtime, yes, but that was VERY rare because managers would get yelled at if too much overtime happened. I learned my physical limit was 10 hours in one-shift. After that, my body felt like crap and wouldn't do what I wanted it to anymore. 10 hours of retail during the holidays is absolutely draining, especially in logistics, which was where I preferred to work to avoid customers. It was more physical labor, but boxes don't talk back! Receiving was the same way. ANYTHING in the stock room was better than the sales floor!!
7873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / O / Cyberspace
Offline
Posted 11/19/16
Seasonal overnight stocking crew at Toys R Us.

Had to unload a truck every single day with about 3 people and on average 1200 individual boxes. Had to stack boxes onto pallets, then use an elevator to get them downstairs to the floor, which took forever. Then we had to get rid of every single pallet every night and then some.

I hated it.
4360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/16

Art-chan wrote:



Back when I worked retail, only managers got full benefits. Part-timers, like I was, didn't. (I seriously doubt that's changed in retail.) Overtime, yes, but that was VERY rare because managers would get yelled at if too much overtime happened. I learned my physical limit was 10 hours in one-shift. After that, my body felt like crap and wouldn't do what I wanted it to anymore. 10 hours of retail during the holidays is absolutely draining, especially in logistics, which was where I preferred to work to avoid customers. It was more physical labor, but boxes don't talk back! Receiving was the same way. ANYTHING in the stock room was better than the sales floor!!


a successful saleman/woman can make a lot of money (in the right field of work)

i guess now you are working at job where you don't have to deal with people? at least not face to face?

i still have to talk to people on a regular basis but on the phone most of the time

but the benefit via phone is that

"bad connection" can be used for some rude customers

there are some rude and demanding customers out there-- they just want FREE stuff pretty much

staying on call for 1 hour just over $10 balance ?

7015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Utah, USA
Offline
Posted 11/19/16
My first job was a clerk at a grocery store, started in produce then moved onto being trained in every department. It only paid minimum wage ($7.40 an hour), but I made a lot of good friends there and worked really hard. I got to work any schedule, any amount of hours, and in any department I so desired because I did so well there. Eventually got promoted to assistant manager but quit not long after for a job at a pet store, which was a dream at the time until I realized people that come through pet stores are absolutely nuts. T~T
5065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Milwaukee, WI
Offline
Posted 11/19/16
My first job was sanitation at a corn factory. Not super exciting but I worked with my uncle and cousin and for most of my time I would try to look for them and get them wet with the hose haha oh it was great and every now and then I would see my uncle take some corn. ooo I never ate what we picked up
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.