First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Should Women Be Drafted ?
1558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16
6646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Online
Posted 11/2/16
Women should be held socially equal to men, therefore should have the same social responsibilities. This includes the protection of society should it be needed. Expand the draft to women! If they don't want to do their part in protecting society they should not be able to reap the full benefits of said society.

To those saying pregnancy would exempt them from service: pregnancy is not a permanent condition. It does go away after 9 months. So the conscription is deferred for 9 months. Then off you go!

With regards to women on the front lines, create all women combat units.

Hopefully people will think about this with regards to Hillary's warmongering against Russia.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/4/16
Since this topic has very clear touch on my personal life as in Finland we have mandatory service for all able men I think I shall chime in.

Purely from a moral standpoint I'd have to say yes, but as it often stands the reality makes it complicated.

As Judar has already pointed the "get out of the jail free card" exist for women and them using it would just cause more problems. Above all the fact that economies already generally suffer in large scale drafting, add to that lots of women leaving for maternity leave and the problem just get's worse.

And really, I sure can't think of a valid counter-argument for that.
Then, some people say that men have easier time to leave other men behind than they have leaving women. I'm not entirely sure how valid this argument is. And probably hard for anyone to say who hasn't been to war. But I would imagine this being mostly false as warzone is not a place of chivalry.

Another case is to be made that the more empathetic and the physically weaker sex would make for less efficient soldiers.

Yet another thing would be the "family burden". Horrors of war are tough to bear and the military would not benefit for a lot of suicides. Not only is it losing troops, but that would probably seriously effect the mood of the soldiers close to him. Admittedly, deaths really aren't that significant in battlefield, but rather the fact that people are giving up. That would then cause more unrest inside the ranks and questioning what it all really is even worth? You're there stuck fighting a war that some creedy old men created.

In times like these, it helps to have a cause, a purpose. Those of you that know how much ones mental health if linked to their physical health will quickly realize that having something that holds you together and gives you comfort, an escape to a lesser extent is all but vital.

And having a family that awaits your return at home is a very strong one. Think about it, even in the middle of all the horror, one wouldn't give up for the sake of their kids that they want to see again and see grow up and your girlfriend/wife who'd be there, these things... give hope. And hope is what a keeps on going even in the most suffocating darkness. And it helps that hope to know your family as at least relatively safe.


6593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 11/2/16
Reading some of these comments again, women do not always have to be on the front line of a battle, they can be nurses, pilots, security at a base, vehicle drivers, etc. And yes, they should drafted too, "equal rights" to me means you should be drafted no matter what gender you are.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/2/16
Putting my intense dislike of a draft, conscription, levee en masse etc. etc. aside, yeah, women should have the same responsibilities and privileges as men. Off you go ladies.
5819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16


i agree with you
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

octorockandroll wrote:

. After all, men were perfectly able to avoid the raft by causing injuries to themselves, and only a few ever did.


That's cute.

I will say that it isn't going to be a 'vast majority,' but it will be a fuckton.

I mean, why would a bunch of unwilling women get pregnant to keep from being drafted when tons of women who VOLUNTEERED get pregnant to dodge deployments? Or when, historically, even large numbers of men dodged the draft by making themselves eligible for exemption or outright fleeing?

No, no, women getting pregnant on purpose actually makes no sense. None what-so-ever.

Thanks for helping me see that.

This message has been brought to you by sarcasm.
21295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44
Offline
Posted 11/2/16
seems to me that none of you have actually served. I totally agree that women should be signed up for selective service. Feminists pushed and pushed for the service to open up combat jobs for women and congress caved. The main reason women can't get drafted is because they were barred from combat MOSs (military operational specialty). You all need to understand what it takes to implement a draft. If the government doesn't have enough soldier it will activate the Ready Reserve, when you sign up for the service it is for 8 years (2,3 or 4 active, the rest in Ready Reserve) after that it will call up the actual Reserve. After exhausting all options, congress (not the military) will enact a draft.
Get real, it would take another World War to start a draft. Kind of moot issue.
4734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

. After all, men were perfectly able to avoid the raft by causing injuries to themselves, and only a few ever did.


That's cute.

I will say that it isn't going to be a 'vast majority,' but it will be a fuckton.

I mean, why would a bunch of unwilling women get pregnant to keep from being drafted when tons of women who VOLUNTEERED get pregnant to dodge deployments? Or when, historically, even large numbers of men dodged the draft by making themselves eligible for exemption or outright fleeing?

No, no, women getting pregnant on purpose actually makes no sense. None what-so-ever.

Thanks for helping me see that.

This message has been brought to you by sarcasm.


Please show me where you think I said "women getting pregnant on purpose makes no sense". Until you do please keep your attempts at sarcasm with someone who cares. Although that is probably just going to be you.
166 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/4/16

pansyforyourthoughts wrote:

Nobody should be drafted.


This.

War is, and should always be, a last resort at protecting your community and your way of life. If the reason for war is not enough to drive others to voluntarily pick up arms and fight, then it's an unworthy war and it shouldn't be waged. No one has the Right to force others to murder and die for any cause. No one. The draft is a mechanism of tyranny, not of a free society.

If you do believe in a Draft, then you must acknowledge that you are legitimizing every nation's reasons for waging war as being just and fair for its people, while denying every individual their Right to live and die in the way they choose. You're saying your beliefs are greater than theirs and that you are masters of them.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Please show me where you think I said "women getting pregnant on purpose makes no sense". Until you do please keep your attempts at sarcasm with someone who cares. Although that is probably just going to be you.


Well, to be COMPLETELY fair, you didn't.

However, you did equate men injuring themselves to getting pregnant, and that's simply not an accurate comparison.

Getting pregnant would be an easy out for most women. Not necessarily because carrying and having a child is easy, but because if they already planned on having a child in the next few years, bumping up the time frame a bit to avoid draft is not a big deal. Additionally, their bodies are not permanently disabled by carrying a child.

SO, the problem isn't that you were saying that it wouldn't happen, but that you were saying it was no easier for women to dodge the draft by doing so, and it is.

*shrug* I'm sorry you don't like my sarcasm. I don't like your mental dislocation from reality.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

doorstander wrote:

seems to me that none of you have actually served. I totally agree that women should be signed up for selective service. Feminists pushed and pushed for the service to open up combat jobs for women and congress caved. The main reason women can't get drafted is because they were barred from combat MOSs (military operational specialty). You all need to understand what it takes to implement a draft. If the government doesn't have enough soldier it will activate the Ready Reserve, when you sign up for the service it is for 8 years (2,3 or 4 active, the rest in Ready Reserve) after that it will call up the actual Reserve. After exhausting all options, congress (not the military) will enact a draft.
Get real, it would take another World War to start a draft. Kind of moot issue.


Another World War in the near future ins't impossible by any means.

I have served.

Also, you are right, they exhaust all options prior to draft, such as stop-loss. In fact, we've used stop-loss several times since our last draft. And most of America never knew, because unless you were in a combat related field in the military, it usually didn't affect you.
4734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 11/2/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Please show me where you think I said "women getting pregnant on purpose makes no sense". Until you do please keep your attempts at sarcasm with someone who cares. Although that is probably just going to be you.


Well, to be COMPLETELY fair, you didn't.

However, you did equate men injuring themselves to getting pregnant, and that's simply not an accurate comparison.

Getting pregnant would be an easy out for most women. Not necessarily because carrying and having a child is easy, but because if they already planned on having a child in the next few years, bumping up the time frame a bit to avoid draft is not a big deal. Additionally, their bodies are not permanently disabled by carrying a child.

SO, the problem isn't that you were saying that it wouldn't happen, but that you were saying it was no easier for women to dodge the draft by doing so, and it is.

*shrug* I'm sorry you don't like my sarcasm. I don't like your mental dislocation from reality.


Your pedanticism about this one comparison does not change my overall point that saying that if women are drafted it will cause so many pregnancies that it will cause a national crisis is nothing but loose speculation. Maybe consider that before you go on about other people's "mental dislocation from reality".
21295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44
Offline
Posted 11/2/16
A lot of people know about it. they made a God-awful movie about it
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

octorockandroll wrote:
Your pedanticism about this one comparison does not change my overall point that saying that if women are drafted it will cause so many pregnancies that it will cause a national crisis is nothing but loose speculation. Maybe consider that before you go on about other people's "mental dislocation from reality".


Ah.

Perhaps you should do a better job at communicating your point, then. I didn't catch that at all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.