First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Chobani Founder Gets Threats, Calls for Boycott for Employing Refugees
50032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

Calls to boycott yogurt giant Chobani have proliferated as the company has welcomed refugees into its two factories, located in the generally conservative areas of upstate New York and Idaho.

"Be sure you boycott Chobani Yogurt! That Muzzie that owns it is hell bent on filling Idaho with Muslims," one critic tweeted last month.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/chobani-founder-gets-threats-calls-boycott-employing-refugees-n676776
37254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16
Whatever your thoughts are on allowing more refugees in, I think everyone can agree that those already in the country should be allowed and encouraged to work. That's how you integrate these people into society. Discriminate against them and we create an insular, angry, and poor group of people that are much more likely to commit the kind of violence/terrorism opponents of immigration have been so scared of.
runec 
29394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16
Isn't attacking Chobani over this, by definition, anti-American? I mean, isn't this the whole point? Land of Opportunity, the American Dream, anyone can make it here with hard work and spirit, shining beacon on the hill, etc etc?

Why do these people hate America? ;p

50032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

runec wrote:

Isn't attacking Chobani over this, by definition, anti-American? I mean, isn't this the whole point? Land of Opportunity, the American Dream, anyone can make it here with hard work and spirit, shining beacon on the hill, etc etc?

Why do these people hate America? ;p



It's because these people are brown and practice a different religion
runec 
29394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

HuastecoOtaku wrote:
It's because these people are brown and practice a different religion


Ah. right. The American Dream has an asterisk beside it and a disclaimer down at the bottom in the fine print.

15109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

runec wrote:

Isn't attacking Chobani over this, by definition, anti-American? I mean, isn't this the whole point? Land of Opportunity, the American Dream, anyone can make it here with hard work and spirit, shining beacon on the hill, etc etc?

Why do these people hate America? ;p


Buy AMERICAN Greek yogurt!
50032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

runec wrote:


HuastecoOtaku wrote:
It's because these people are brown and practice a different religion


Ah. right. The American Dream has an asterisk beside it and a disclaimer down at the bottom in the fine print.



https://youtu.be/fxHWtw_GZIk
19018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

kinga750 wrote:

Whatever your thoughts are on allowing more refugees in, I think everyone can agree that those already in the country should be allowed and encouraged to work. That's how you integrate these people into society. Discriminate against them and we create an insular, angry, and poor group of people that are much more likely to commit the kind of violence/terrorism opponents of immigration have been so scared of.


just because a person works somewhere doesn't mean they have integrated into society


I can be working at apple, Microsoft, or a grocery store and still have anti American views
17665 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

runec wrote:

Isn't attacking Chobani over this, by definition, anti-American? I mean, isn't this the whole point? Land of Opportunity, the American Dream, anyone can make it here with hard work and spirit, shining beacon on the hill, etc etc?

Why do these people hate America? ;p



A little background on this:

Chobani, owned by a Turkish Muslim immigrant, has already filled 30 percent of its 600 positions at the world’s largest Yogurt plant in Twin Falls, Idaho, with refugees resettled in America through a U.S. State Department program carried out in cooperation with the United Nations.

This comes at a time when Twin Falls is embroiled in a firestorm of controversy involving an alleged sexual assault of a 5-year-old special-needs girl by refugee boys from Sudan and Iraq.
The city’s mayor, Shawn Barigar, called for calm in the community and lectured his residents at a Monday city council meeting that they should not spread a “false narrative” about the case that he accused Internet bloggers and others of creating.

WND has learned that Barigar was instrumental in recruiting Chobani to Twin Falls back in 2011, and he now plays a dual role of elected official and president/CEO of the local Chamber of Commerce.

“Twin Falls is really a microcosm of what we find going on in so many of the refugee communities across the U.S., where you have people moving in and out of government and the Chamber of Commerce with a vested interest in making sure a meatpacking plant or some other industry has continuous access to refugee labor,” said Corcoran. “Only in this case we have a blatant example of conflicts of interest by an elected official who is also the head of the Chamber enticing companies to come in and make use of the steady influx of cheap, overseas labor.

“These are jobs that Americans would be happy to fill but they are forced to compete now with someone from Sudan or Iraq who is used to working for a dollar a week.”



Refugees account for about 30 percent of the total workforce at Ulukaya’s yogurt plants. That means about 600 of Chobani’s 2,000 employees in the U.S. are foreign refugees.

“There are 11 or 12 languages spoken in our factories,” Ulukaya told Financial Times. “We have translators 24 hours a day.”

Corcoran said the strategy being pushed by corporate America is done in the name of compassion but actually leaves jobless Americans and veterans in its wake.

“Take UPS, for example. Almost every county has a UPS depot, and it’s a really nice job for people who are low skilled, loading the trucks,” said Corcoran. “It’s kind of a job that people are willing to do. You don’t have to ship people here from the Third World to fill those jobs.”
37254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

redokami wrote:


kinga750 wrote:

Whatever your thoughts are on allowing more refugees in, I think everyone can agree that those already in the country should be allowed and encouraged to work. That's how you integrate these people into society. Discriminate against them and we create an insular, angry, and poor group of people that are much more likely to commit the kind of violence/terrorism opponents of immigration have been so scared of.


just because a person works somewhere doesn't mean they have integrated into society


I can be working at apple, Microsoft, or a grocery store and still have anti American views


I don't disagree. But employment does help integrate people. I would even say it is a necessary component for integration.

I don't think a good argument can be made for keeping people out of work just because they are immigrants.
runec 
29394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

Ejanss wrote:
Buy AMERICAN Greek yogurt!


But isn't Chobani made in America? Doesn't that make it American? I'm so confused! Who do I yell at for ruining America? >.>




That seems about right these days.



redokami wrote:
just because a person works somewhere doesn't mean they have integrated into society

I can be working at apple, Microsoft, or a grocery store and still have anti American views


You know one of the best ways to ensure someone doesn't integrate? Leave them poor, unemployed and bitter at your country. -.-




Rujikin wrote:
A little background on this:


Interesting, but nothing there justifies racial slurs or threats and unless they can prove that he's paying immigrants a dollar a week the cheap labour argument doesn't hold much water. Nor does the argument that he is somehow destroying America by hiring immigrants.

I would bet good money that the same people complaining a successful immigrant is trying to help out other immigrants would not bat an eyelash at being a shoe in for a job at a company that a friend of their dad's owns.
37984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

kinga750 wrote:

Whatever your thoughts are on allowing more refugees in, I think everyone can agree that those already in the country should be allowed and encouraged to work. That's how you integrate these people into society. Discriminate against them and we create an insular, angry, and poor group of people that are much more likely to commit the kind of violence/terrorism opponents of immigration have been so scared of.


Yeah. I have to agree with your point of view on this. On the other hand, don't let so many of them in that terrorists sneak in with the true refugees, and don't let so many of them in that actual Americans start to have trouble finding work.... You know? It's tough finding work as it is, already.
17484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/2/16
Has anyone ever tasted chobani yogurt... And liked it?
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 11/2/16

Rujikin wrote:


runec wrote:

Isn't attacking Chobani over this, by definition, anti-American? I mean, isn't this the whole point? Land of Opportunity, the American Dream, anyone can make it here with hard work and spirit, shining beacon on the hill, etc etc?

Why do these people hate America? ;p



A little background on this:

Chobani, owned by a Turkish Muslim immigrant, has already filled 30 percent of its 600 positions at the world’s largest Yogurt plant in Twin Falls, Idaho, with refugees resettled in America through a U.S. State Department program carried out in cooperation with the United Nations.

This comes at a time when Twin Falls is embroiled in a firestorm of controversy involving an alleged sexual assault of a 5-year-old special-needs girl by refugee boys from Sudan and Iraq.
The city’s mayor, Shawn Barigar, called for calm in the community and lectured his residents at a Monday city council meeting that they should not spread a “false narrative” about the case that he accused Internet bloggers and others of creating.

WND has learned that Barigar was instrumental in recruiting Chobani to Twin Falls back in 2011, and he now plays a dual role of elected official and president/CEO of the local Chamber of Commerce.

“Twin Falls is really a microcosm of what we find going on in so many of the refugee communities across the U.S., where you have people moving in and out of government and the Chamber of Commerce with a vested interest in making sure a meatpacking plant or some other industry has continuous access to refugee labor,” said Corcoran. “Only in this case we have a blatant example of conflicts of interest by an elected official who is also the head of the Chamber enticing companies to come in and make use of the steady influx of cheap, overseas labor.

“These are jobs that Americans would be happy to fill but they are forced to compete now with someone from Sudan or Iraq who is used to working for a dollar a week.”



Refugees account for about 30 percent of the total workforce at Ulukaya’s yogurt plants. That means about 600 of Chobani’s 2,000 employees in the U.S. are foreign refugees.

“There are 11 or 12 languages spoken in our factories,” Ulukaya told Financial Times. “We have translators 24 hours a day.”

Corcoran said the strategy being pushed by corporate America is done in the name of compassion but actually leaves jobless Americans and veterans in its wake.

“Take UPS, for example. Almost every county has a UPS depot, and it’s a really nice job for people who are low skilled, loading the trucks,” said Corcoran. “It’s kind of a job that people are willing to do. You don’t have to ship people here from the Third World to fill those jobs.”


Yeap, and the cover-up that went down in Twin Falls was something else.
24551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/16 , edited 11/2/16

redokami wrote:


kinga750 wrote:

Whatever your thoughts are on allowing more refugees in, I think everyone can agree that those already in the country should be allowed and encouraged to work. That's how you integrate these people into society. Discriminate against them and we create an insular, angry, and poor group of people that are much more likely to commit the kind of violence/terrorism opponents of immigration have been so scared of.


just because a person works somewhere doesn't mean they have integrated into society


I can be working at apple, Microsoft, or a grocery store and still have anti American views


Thanks to the First Amendment. Yes, immigrants, refugees and even illegal immigrants have some constitutional rights.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.