First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Rem vs Emilia
Nikuma 
6638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / オランダ Holland
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
I like them both what are you going to do now?
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/3/16

sundin13 wrote:


Ryuouka wrote:

I don't see how ''Rem is developed way more'' is a logical reason to favor her over Emilia? Can someone explain this to me?

#Team Emilia


Because Rem is an interesting character while Emilia is a cardboard cutout of a generic waifu.


So 95% of all Re:Zero watchers favors Rem because she's interesting? While it's subjective, I just can't see what's so interesting about a character solely based on her love for the MC. What other qualities does she have that makes her out to be such a obvious winner of the two?

In a case scenario where they switched places, and Emilia got all that development while still maintaining her character, would that make the 95% favor her instead?

14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/3/16 , edited 11/3/16

Frenzify wrote:


Ryuouka wrote:

I don't see how ''Rem is developed way more'' is a logical reason to favor her over Emilia? Can someone explain this to me?

#Team Emilia


As someone whose "best girl" probably isn't the most developed girl in her series, but also as someone who favours Rem, I will say that sometimes there just isn't any logic in which girl you favour in a series.

I mean, you should know that. You favour Emilia, after all.


That's fair. There's always the chance that you simply favor Rem because you do. However, this reasoning also hit mostly every other watcher somehow.

And I favor Emilia because of her design and voice. I think Rem's design is really simple and bad, and her voice is annoying. It can't just be me thinking this, so why is absolutely everyone on Rem's ass...
15796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
I think everyone is forgetting who the real best girl is...



Rem and Emilia can share second place I suppose.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16

Ryuouka wrote:


sundin13 wrote:


Ryuouka wrote:

I don't see how ''Rem is developed way more'' is a logical reason to favor her over Emilia? Can someone explain this to me?

#Team Emilia


Because Rem is an interesting character while Emilia is a cardboard cutout of a generic waifu.


So 95% of all Re:Zero watchers favors Rem because she's interesting? While it's subjective, I just can't see what's so interesting about a character solely based on her love for the MC. What other qualities does she have that makes her out to be such a obvious winner of the two?

In a case scenario where they switched places, and Emilia got all that development while still maintaining her character, would that make the 95% favor her instead?



The original question was why people think that Rem being better developed is a logical reason to favor her. I responded that people tend to prefer characters to cardboard cutouts. Does that account for everyone that likes Rem? Of course not. I think her maid gimmick thing is certainly part of it for some people, but even that gives her 10x more personality than Ms. Nothing (aka Emilia). However, I think the fact that her relationship with the main character was developed, she changed meaningfully over the course of the series, you got a bit of a feel for her backstory, she actually did things, etc certainly helped make people like her as a character (and therefore as a waifu).

If she stayed a background character like Emilia (yes, I mean what I just said), she would still have some followers, but she would likely have fans like Crusch or drill hair girl, or hell, even her sister, but her overwhelming support is largely because she is just a better character than Emilia (which is also one of the huge downsides of the series).
11018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
Just saying here, no hate meant for anyone, but Rem is someone that can never be obtained, i mean it is her name, she is only obtainable through your dreams, because she is Rem, or Rapid Eye Movement, Feels bad man but it is the truth.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16

mydk666 wrote:

Just saying here, no hate meant for anyone, but Rem is someone that can never be obtained, i mean it is her name, she is only obtainable through your dreams, because she is Rem, or Rapid Eye Movement, Feels bad man but it is the truth.


If Rem means Rapid Eye Movement, what does Ram mean? Rapid Ass Movement?
32282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
honest to god didn't think i'd get that many replies so thanks everyone, i was really interested to read your comments and enjoyed almost everyone of them!
60157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16 , edited 11/3/16

sundin13 wrote:

The original question was why people think that Rem being better developed is a logical reason to favor her. I responded that people tend to prefer characters to cardboard cutouts. Does that account for everyone that likes Rem? Of course not. I think her maid gimmick thing is certainly part of it for some people, but even that gives her 10x more personality than Ms. Nothing (aka Emilia). However, I think the fact that her relationship with the main character was developed, she changed meaningfully over the course of the series, you got a bit of a feel for her backstory, she actually did things, etc certainly helped make people like her as a character (and therefore as a waifu).

If she stayed a background character like Emilia (yes, I mean what I just said), she would still have some followers, but she would likely have fans like Crusch or drill hair girl, or hell, even her sister, but her overwhelming support is largely because she is just a better character than Emilia (which is also one of the huge downsides of the series).


"Ms. Nothing" is an oppressed, half-elf royal candidate. She's also kind and considerate with a strong sense of duty and responsibility. And although she is essentially alone in the world, she has really no other choice but to rely heavily on others. Her character was developed pretty well in the subtext, and the fact that it has yet to be expanded in the foreground gives her a bit of an air of mystery. I wouldn't exactly call her a cardboard cutout.

I see Rem as an obsessive screw-up with a really low sense of self worth. Naturally, that's not all there is to it, and I don't hate her character nor would I see her as a bad person, but I certainly cannot see eye-to-eye with many of the downright saintly portrayals some of her fans have used to describe her character. I really can't speak for anyone who would identify as a member of #Team Rem, but to give people something to reflect on, perhaps she is so widely loved because she is excessively vulnerable.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/3/16 , edited 11/3/16

staphen wrote:

"Ms. Nothing" is an oppressed, half-elf royal candidate. She's also kind and considerate with a strong sense of duty and responsibility. And although she is essentially alone in the world, she has really no other choice but to rely heavily on others. Her character was developed pretty well in the subtext, and the fact that it has yet to be expanded in the foreground gives her a bit of an air of mystery. I wouldn't exactly call her a cardboard cutout.

I see Rem as an obsessive screw-up with a really low sense of self worth. Naturally, that's not all there is to it, and I don't hate her character nor would I see her as a bad person, but I certainly cannot see eye-to-eye with many of the downright saintly portrayals some of her fans have used to describe her character. I really can't speak for anyone who would identify as a member of #Team Rem, but to give people something to reflect on, perhaps she is so widely loved because she is excessively vulnerable.



I wish I can achieve your vocabulary someday, this was point on. Development doesn't just explore a character, it also limits one.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16 , edited 11/3/16

staphen wrote:

"Ms. Nothing" is an oppressed, half-elf royal candidate. She's also kind and considerate with a strong sense of duty and responsibility. And although she is essentially alone in the world, she has really no other choice but to rely heavily on others. Her character was developed pretty well in the subtext, and the fact that it has yet to be expanded in the foreground gives her a bit of an air of mystery. I wouldn't exactly call her a cardboard cutout.

I see Rem as an obsessive screw-up with a really low sense of self worth. Naturally, that's not all there is to it, and I don't hate her character nor would I see her as a bad person, but I certainly cannot see eye-to-eye with many of the downright saintly portrayals some of her fans have used to describe her character. I really can't speak for anyone who would identify as a member of #Team Rem, but to give people something to reflect on, perhaps she is so widely loved because she is excessively vulnerable.


Cardboard cutout may be a bit harsh, but I really don't see her as much more developed than a character like Felt, who is gone for 99% of the series. Her identity feels imposed and not intrinsic. These attributes were given to her, but they don't hold much weight, and it doesn't feel like her character would change without them and really, the story has been a bit of a mess, so I don't really think it would even change too much if most of those attributes weren't present (at least in season 1).

Now, I don't think Rem is the best character ever, but her character feels like it is inseparable from her experiences and the story makes sure to give her attributes weight to her character as opposed to Emilia whos attributes feel skin deep.

I think this is largely a product of how the show handles the two characters. Emilia takes the (somewhat canon?) role of "idea" to Subaru. Subaru's love for her becomes selfish to the extent where he doesn't love her as a character, he loves the idea of her, and to demonstrate that, I think the show held back on her development, which unfortunately had the side effect of alienating some viewers because it didn't fully commit to the idea (this story was far too all over the place to make such a concept work imo). Rem on the other hand took the role of friend and confidant. To get her there they worked through the relationship between Subaru and Rem, made him have to win her trust and likewise make her have to prove herself to him to earn that role. Subaru fell in love with Emilia because she was a pretty, nice girl who he met first. Subaru because friends with Rem because they fought together and struggled together and learned about each others faults and ultimately saved one another. The connection is so much deeper and as a result, the character has to be so much deeper for Rem.

Now, I understand that this is all opinion. I admit I was just picking a fight a bit because this show aggravated me so much, but I do believe that Emilia's characterization was very lackluster and the show suffered greatly because of it. If she was developed well, Episode 18 wouldn't have made me want to snap my laptop in half.
60157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16

sundin13 wrote:


staphen wrote:

"Ms. Nothing" is an oppressed, half-elf royal candidate. She's also kind and considerate with a strong sense of duty and responsibility. And although she is essentially alone in the world, she has really no other choice but to rely heavily on others. Her character was developed pretty well in the subtext, and the fact that it has yet to be expanded in the foreground gives her a bit of an air of mystery. I wouldn't exactly call her a cardboard cutout.

I see Rem as an obsessive screw-up with a really low sense of self worth. Naturally, that's not all there is to it, and I don't hate her character nor would I see her as a bad person, but I certainly cannot see eye-to-eye with many of the downright saintly portrayals some of her fans have used to describe her character. I really can't speak for anyone who would identify as a member of #Team Rem, but to give people something to reflect on, perhaps she is so widely loved because she is excessively vulnerable.


Cardboard cutout may be a bit harsh, but I really don't see her as much more developed than a character like Felt, who is gone for 99% of the series. Her identity feels imposed and not intrinsic. These attributes were given to her, but they don't hold much weight, and it doesn't feel like her character would change without them and really, the story has been a bit of a mess, so I don't really think it would even change too much if most of those attributes weren't present (at least in season 1).

Now, I don't think Rem is the best character ever, but her character feels like it is inseparable from her experiences and the story makes sure to give her attributes weight to her character as opposed to Emilia whos attributes feel skin deep.

I think this is largely a product of how the show handles the two characters. Emilia takes the (somewhat canon?) role of "idea" to Subaru. Subaru's love for her becomes selfish to the extent where he doesn't love her as a character, he loves the idea of her, and to demonstrate that, I think the show held back on her development, which unfortunately had the side effect of alienating some viewers because it didn't fully commit to the idea (this story was far too all over the place to make such a concept work imo). Rem on the other hand took the role of friend and confidant. To get her there they worked through the relationship between Subaru and Rem, made him have to win her trust and likewise make her have to prove herself to him to earn that role. Subaru fell in love with Emilia because she was a pretty, nice girl who he met first. Subaru because friends with Rem because they fought together and struggled together and learned about each others faults and ultimately saved one another. The connection is so much deeper and as a result, the character has to be so much deeper for Rem.

Now, I understand that this is all opinion. I admit I was just picking a fight a bit because this show aggravated me so much, but I do believe that Emilia's characterization was very lackluster and the show suffered greatly because of it. If she was developed well, Episode 18 wouldn't have made me want to snap my laptop in half.


I agree with you that Emilia's relative lack of character development was indeed intentional, but I do not believe that it was for the sake of giving her the role of "idea" to Subaru. I think the author gave her personality a bit too much reality to pull that off, instead making it seem to me as though Subaru was clearly in the wrong for idolizing her. Her lack of development probably had much more to do with the delivery of the overarching story. The end of this first season rather overtly implies that Emilia is going to be the central driver for future plot developments. Given that the story has literally only just begun in relation to the full breadth of it, it would make sense for the author to withhold much of the relevant information, which almost certainly includes Emilia's background, from the viewer.

As for how she compares to Felt in terms of development, I would agree that they do seem to have had about the same amount of development, at least at a high level. We've been introduced to their families, gotten a taste of their daily lives, borne witness to hints about their pasts, seen some of their struggles and how they fight, and caught glimpses of the mysteries surrounding each of them. We have yet to see much in the way of growth or backstories from either of them. Based on the author's tendencies so far, I'm pretty confident in my assertion that it's only a matter of time before both Emilia and Felt receive more attention from the writing.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/3/16

staphen wrote:
I agree with you that Emilia's relative lack of character development was indeed intentional, but I do not believe that it was for the sake of giving her the role of "idea" to Subaru. I think the author gave her personality a bit too much reality to pull that off, instead making it seem to me as though Subaru was clearly in the wrong for idolizing her. Her lack of development probably had much more to do with the delivery of the overarching story. The end of this first season rather overtly implies that Emilia is going to be the central driver for future plot developments. Given that the story has literally only just begun in relation to the full breadth of it, it would make sense for the author to withhold much of the relevant information, which almost certainly includes Emilia's background, from the viewer.

As for how she compares to Felt in terms of development, I would agree that they do seem to have had about the same amount of development, at least at a high level. We've been introduced to their families, gotten a taste of their daily lives, borne witness to hints about their pasts, seen some of their struggles and how they fight, and caught glimpses of the mysteries surrounding each of them. We have yet to see much in the way of growth or backstories from either of them. Based on the author's tendencies so far, I'm pretty confident in my assertion that it's only a matter of time before both Emilia and Felt receive more attention from the writing.


Thats fair. I am judging the anime based on what I've seen without really much regard for the fact that there will eventually be more, largely due to the problems I had with the pacing and the general plot structure, but that is a whole other point entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if they do give Emilia much more development and depth in future seasons and I'm sure that will bring some people around to liking her more, but I think for me its too late. Unless the anime really does something amazing, I probably wont be watching the second season.
jeng88 
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/3/16
#TeamEmilia because the heart wants what the heart wants. And she is super cute! and never killed suburu.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.