First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Spiritual Fasting - Experiences, Advice, and Opinions.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
This is pretty open.

Basically, just share your thoughts on the matter.

Advice? Absolutely.

Opinions, even the ones I don't agree with? For sure, you have the right to your beliefs.

Experiences? Please share these.

All I can say on the subject is that I have not yet done it, but my grandmother often did it in times of need. I have always held fasting in high regard.
1921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
I don't understand why you would do it.
10620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 11/6/16 , edited 11/6/16
Best suggestion is not to start.
6073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
Deprivation is the worst thing you could do to your body.
If you want to make a statement or want to show cometment to God maybe take the Jewish practice of Lent it's pretty much the same concept except instead of doing something detrimentaly effective to your body you give up something non essential that you hold in high regard for a specific amount of time it can be anything it can be candy, a hobby, anime, video games what have you.

I don't really believe in God but I can put myself in the perspective of others fairly easily. Whatever helps you cope with life.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
My opinion is that assuming that your god exists and that he loves you, he probably wouldn't want you to do something that's detrimental to your body.
And why would you have to anyway? He's omniscient. He knows you'd do it. That should be enough, honestly...
One Punch Mod
85885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 11/6/16 , edited 11/6/16

52infinity wrote:

Deprivation is the worst thing you could do to your body.
If you want to make a statement or want to show cometment to God maybe take the Jewish practice of Lent it's pretty much the same concept except instead of doing something detrimentaly effective to your body you give up something non essential that you hold in high regard for a specific amount of time it can be anything it can be candy, a hobby, anime, video games what have you.

I don't really believe in God but I can put myself in the perspective of others fairly easily. Whatever helps you cope with life.


That observation for Lent is a Christian practice, particularly among Catholics. Observant Jews do have fast days during the year, but not Lent.
6073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/6/16

lorreen wrote:


52infinity wrote:

Deprivation is the worst thing you could do to your body.
If you want to make a statement or want to show cometment to God maybe take the Jewish practice of Lent it's pretty much the same concept except instead of doing something detrimentaly effective to your body you give up something non essential that you hold in high regard for a specific amount of time it can be anything it can be candy, a hobby, anime, video games what have you.

I don't really believe in God but I can put myself in the perspective of others fairly easily. Whatever helps you cope with life.


That observation for Lent is a Christian practice, particularly among Catholics. Observant Jews do have fast days during the year, but not Lent.


I forget that my freind was Catholic I just have Jews on the brain from societies current lax yet increasingly anti-Semitic behavior I guess well anyway I appreciate you clearing that up.

I still stand by my statement though I believe that religious practices can be shared from what I understand not even God has the monopoly on free will.

By the by are you Jewish you seem to know alot? If you are that speaks volumes for your already seemingly unbound tolerance.
33369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
Couldn't you meditate and gather spiritual energy to sustain you?
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/6/16

Syndicaidramon wrote:

My opinion is that assuming that your god exists and that he loves you, he probably wouldn't want you to do something that's detrimental to your body.
And why would you have to anyway? He's omniscient. He knows you'd do it. That should be enough, honestly...
Fasting is not the same as starving, I hope we're on the same page on this.
7240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Pensacola
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
don't be an idiot.
3846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
I'm not sure forcefully starving yourself trying to seek a spiritual experience is spiritual...Perhaps there is a difference between starving yourself and fasting for spiritual reasons. Maybe depending on the tradition there are different aims and reasons for fasting. I don't think fumbling in the dark is all that great in this situation, and if anything it probably just stimulates our imagination, further removing/distracting/distorting us from whatever it is we wanted to accomplish.
24265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
Consult your doctor.
3245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In a Yaoi Fanfic
Offline
Posted 11/6/16 , edited 11/6/16
I'm sure fasting is good for breaking any lakc of self-control with food, but other than that I don't see a point in starving for your god.

But I've never been religious and I've always thought that if there's a god me starving myself probably wouldn't make any difference to them.
22134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 11/6/16 , edited 11/6/16
Splurg the night before with a big dinner and late night snack, the later for both the better. That should at least make you survive through the next day ^.^ I grew up around a lot of Muslim practitioners, that's basically how they made it through Ramadan, though it was harder for them since it's such a long fast.
5216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
I mean, they did it a lot in the Bible, and it is supposed to sharpen your focus and draw you closer to God. I don't really think it's necessary, though, and I don't see any reason to do it if you're not religious.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.