First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Are You Getting a PS4 Pro ?
41758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 18 days ago , edited 18 days ago



From what I have hear if your strictly gaming stick with Intel. Their per core performance is just OP at this point at how most games are it's not the how many cores you have but how good of cores you have.

AMD benchmarked a Zen chip along with a 5820k maybe it was a 6850k I don't quite remember either way they pretty much sat neck and neck for the most part and at the price these chips are rumored to retail for its very appealing. However the AMD chip had 2 more cores and 4 threads... So a lot of that performance was made up by the extra cores. I generally like AMD and I want to help them with as a company but they have drifted a good bit away from the gaming focus.

I mean you could have two CPU's one that's a quad core and one that have 500 cores. At the end of the day if the quad core CPU has significantly better per core performance then it doesn't really matter how many extra cores the other has as 95% of games do not use more then 4 cores.

I'm honestly thinking about making a second PC just for the Zen all I would need is a motherboard and a second power supply. Well the CPU as well but that's kinda a given.

Sorry for the rambling I'm actually pretty sleepy.
709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Kansas, USA
Offline
Posted 18 days ago

LosingHope wrote:




From what I have hear if your strictly gaming stick with Intel. Their per core performance is just OP at this point at how most games are it's not the how many cores you have but how good of cores you have.

AMD benchmarked a Zen chip along with a 5820k maybe it was a 6850k I don't quite remember either way they pretty much sat neck and neck for the most part and at the price these chips are rumored to retail for its very appealing. However the AMD chip had 2 more cores and 4 threads... So a lot of that performance was made up by the extra cores. I generally like AMD and I want to help them with as a company but they have drifted a good bit away from the gaming focus.

I mean you could have two CPU's one that's a quad core and one that have 500 cores. At the end of the day if the quad core CPU has significantly better per core performance then it doesn't really matter how many extra cores the other has as 95% of games do not use more then 4 cores.

I'm honestly thinking about making a second PC just for the Zen all I would need is a motherboard and a second power supply. Well the CPU as well but that's kinda a given.

Sorry for the rambling I'm actually pretty sleepy.


I'm interested in seeing how Zen measures up, at least. The demonstration presented by AMD... somewhat recently... against Intel pitted Summit Ridge against the 6900k, and AMD did edge above it by a hair. The problem is that that demonstration was biased as it utilized the rendering engine in Blender, which is very favorable to multi-threading, where AMD traditionally has an advantage to begin with. There were some benchmarks on engineering chips that surfaced, but it isn't certain what line of processors they belong to. Other rumors don't cite particularly viable resources, so whether or not AMD is putting out a product on their high-end line that will compete with the 6700k or 4770k (any of the crowd favorites, really) is still in the air.

What I am excited for is that Zen is a 14nm architecture, supposedly designed to be SMT capable at 2 threads per core, and sits roughly in line with Intel on TDP (albeit at a lower stock clock.) I can't really expect that it would compare exactly, but it does close the gap between the two significantly. At the lower prices AMD markets at, that would seriously improve its price to performance margin compared to Intel chips and previous architectures, while still being a viable option for gaming. I'll wait for someone else to test it out before burning money on a mobo, cpu, and memory modules, though
468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16
Offline
Posted 18 days ago
no bro
1618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 17 days ago
deus ex mankind divided is not doing so well with the Pro patch

Rise of Tombraider now has some frame rate problem after the patch


patching the games will make it worst for some games.. even the base game is also affected if you download the update they released


it will take a while for them to fix this..
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
I'm thinking to get it for soa and vr.
1618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
I don't think the price of the PS4 pro will be $400 for long

during this Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale.. i saw the price of the system going up and down around $340-$360

Bestbuy is offering the system with COD infinete warefare legacy edition for $399

by the time Scorpio came out in 2017 Sony can just easily chop the price down to $350-- sure it's not a true 4K gaming machine but for $350 it's hard to beat.. plus with next gen console coming out around 2019?

there's a clear difference between console gamers vs pc gamers

i'm a console gamer for a reason.. i don't like having to upgrade my system or worry not being able to play the latest games on my 2-3 year old system..
Gets It.
24767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 12 days ago

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
i'm a console gamer for a reason.. i don't like having to upgrade my system or worry not being able to play the latest games on my 2-3 year old system..


I'm a console gamer solely for the fact that I'm always in front of a computer for work.
I could probably connect a desktop to one of the televisions and have at it - but, at the same time, it just doesn't have the same feel as sitting on your sofa and playing a few games. I like playing games on the PC from time to time; but, alas, I can never pull off the amount of gameplay that I do when playing a console (it's just how I function as a whole, I guess).

There's no way I could pull off something like this on a PC:



Getting Platinum on any game is next to impossible for me on a PC, just because of the amount of time invested versus the comfort level for me. That being said, I don't mind upgrading consoles every few years - I do the same with PC and am quite fine that way. It's more so the process of having multiple configurations causing greater instability. Which is what we're kind of seeing with the PS4 Pro patches. Though, to be fair, it's not quite to the point where developers are focusing on optimizing their Pro patches just yet (some are, most aren't).
1618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
with PC games you can still play those games when you get a new system right?

you can't do that with a console-- backward compatibility (BC) is a big thing with some console gamers

me not so much -- but i don't like the new system every 3 years-- maybe the transition into 4K is the exception ?

Consoles have been 6-7 year cycle with supporting going into 10-ish year

gaming on a budget..

when they turned it into like PC.. i think they will lose the core console gamers..

My PS4 slim uncharted 4 bundle just arrived (i'm a late adoptor)- along with the system i also bought 30+ games

yes.. i got them at a good deals.. but i don't want to go through the console upgrade this frequent since that's a PC thing.. not console




ninjitsuko wrote:







this image-- PS4 pro screenshot ? what's the resolution?

is it worth it getting a PS4 pro if you only have 1080p tv ?

with the PS4 pro using more power to just run the based game (non patched pro titles) is a turn off for me
9102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 12 days ago

ninjitsuko wrote:


I'm a console gamer solely for the fact that I'm always in front of a computer for work.
I could probably connect a desktop to one of the televisions and have at it - but, at the same time, it just doesn't have the same feel as sitting on your sofa and playing a few games. I like playing games on the PC from time to time; but, alas, I can never pull off the amount of gameplay that I do when playing a console (it's just how I function as a whole, I guess).

There's no way I could pull off something like this on a PC:



Getting Platinum on any game is next to impossible for me on a PC, just because of the amount of time invested versus the comfort level for me. That being said, I don't mind upgrading consoles every few years - I do the same with PC and am quite fine that way. It's more so the process of having multiple configurations causing greater instability. Which is what we're kind of seeing with the PS4 Pro patches. Though, to be fair, it's not quite to the point where developers are focusing on optimizing their Pro patches just yet (some are, most aren't).


What game is that? and wow. must say... that does look kinda nice.
Gets It.
24767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 12 days ago
AnimeAddict2014 and Shiimmer:
The game is Watch Dogs 2.
Resolution was 3840 x 2160 (4K). The image was shrunken down because of Crunchyroll's forum and how it handles image attachments.

As for more power for non-Pro (base) game, it's an overall system that's been clocked higher - so it's natural that it'll consume more power overall. It's not much different than a PC in that regard. I'm uncertain as to how things appear on an HD (1080) television, I've only connected them to a 4K UHD one. I believe that on an HD television, you still have slightly improved frame rate if there's a patch for it (1080 @ 60fps). Some games allow for either or to be triggered, but you have to manually set your preference on the PS4 Pro - either the 4K @ 30fps (30fps is default PS4 fps anyways) or 1080 @ 60fps.

1618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago

ninjitsuko wrote:

AnimeAddict2014 and Shiimmer:
The game is Watch Dogs 2.
Resolution was 3840 x 2160 (4K). The image was shrunken down because of Crunchyroll's forum and how it handles image attachments.

As for more power for non-Pro (base) game, it's an overall system that's been clocked higher - so it's natural that it'll consume more power overall. It's not much different than a PC in that regard. I'm uncertain as to how things appear on an HD (1080) television, I've only connected them to a 4K UHD one. I believe that on an HD television, you still have slightly improved frame rate if there's a patch for it (1080 @ 60fps). Some games allow for either or to be triggered, but you have to manually set your preference on the PS4 Pro - either the 4K @ 30fps (30fps is default PS4 fps anyways) or 1080 @ 60fps.




true. It uses more power to run the base games without any improvement whatsoever

i was told by another gamer that without a 4K tv the difference in graphic is minimal.. so guess i'll stick with my ps4 slim until the PS5 comes out

Sony should keep in mind to create a console that can deliver games!!.. graphic should be 2nd + energy efficient

energy efficient is important for me

PSvita is pretty powerful but looks like sony let it died out quietly.. so don't repeat the same mistake again with the consoles.

graphical power is great but it should not be the priority of the system

i've been playing on the PS3 for the last 3 years even after the PS4 was already out

if they look up the numbers.. more people are buying the slim vs the pro in general

most of us console gamers don't really care much for graphic (not like PC gamers would)

PS4 Pro is a good transition console-- after it maybe.. just maybe the PS5 will finally be a true Native 4K @60fps console system
87 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / San Diego, Califo...
Offline
Posted 11 days ago
Strictly got the PS4 Pro for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. After that it's just a glorified blue ray player.
Gets It.
24767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Raleigh, North Ca...
Online
Posted 11 days ago

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

true. It uses more power to run the base games without any improvement what so ever

i was told by another gamer that withou a 4K tv the difference in graphic is minimal.. so guess i'll stick with my ps4 slim until the PS5 comes out

Sony should keep in mind to create a console that deliver a system that can deliver games!!.. graphic should be 2nd + energy efficient

energy efficient is important for me


Yeah, I haven't bothered connecting it to one of the few 1080 televisions I have left in the house. I gave one away to my girlfriend's parents for their beach house (hey, I did survive a week with them - I'm still alive!). I'm pretty sure the graphical increase wouldn't be all that remarkable, other than shading and colors (at most). I did go through the efforts of forcing my television to view the PS4 Pro as a 1080 device (and turned off HDR). It wasn't too bad, but it definitely looked closer to what I'm used to on my base PS4.

Because consoles are trying to race towards the graphical fidelity of the PC, you'll learn that the methodology of Microsoft and Sony will shift drastically in the next two or three console iterations. What I mean by that is that energy efficiency will become something that won't be as focused upon. To be fair, the PS4 Pro/Slim both reduce their footprint drastically compared to the base model. It's not too bad at all.


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
PSvita is pretty powerful but looks like sony let it died out quietly.. so don't repeat the same mistake again with the consoles.


Well... let's talk about the PS Vita a little bit.



I actually think that the PS Vita is a strong system on its own. It's more so that they couldn't compete with Nintendo on American soil at all. I import a helluva lot of games for my Vita (it helps to speak/read Japanese). I think that the Vita in Japan is still "lukewarm". However, I would be confused as hell if Sony pushed out another handheld device anytime soon (unless they try to mimic the Nintendo Switch in some way or another). The US-based games I tend to get are all PSOne Classics. I have about 10 physical, America-released, PS Vita games. On the other hand, I have about 34 Japanese-released, physical Vita games.

The original "lure" of the Vita was "Remote Play" for me. I enjoyed being able to play some PS4 games on my Vita while watching television (RPGs, especially - but, I did beat "The Evil Within" using Remote Play almost exclusively). Now it's mostly a "play old school PSX games that run at the smallest possible resolution that is known to man" handheld for me (recently been playing Mega Man X4 while waiting for FFXV). It pushes out PS3-level graphics into a handheld, color me impressed.

I don't think that Sony will be falling into the realm of the Vita when it comes to their consoles. They're still reigning champions. It's a battle between XB1/Scorpio and PS4 Pro/PS5 (if/when it comes out). I'm not too hellbent on getting "native 4K" on a console. Most PC games aren't even native 4K (just that graphic cards are way more powerful and can handle it better). As for the lack of a 4K Blu-Ray player? I don't really care about that either - there's enough digital 4K content to satisfy me at the moment. :/
7881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SCANDINAVIA
Offline
Posted 11 days ago
Not so sure anymore. Really want too but eh...I'm not sure of the benefits really or if I should get a "normal" one. But then I may regret that and...idk. Mostly want FFXV right now so bad but I think it may come to PC too so ugh
1618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago

GenericMochi wrote:

Strictly got the PS4 Pro for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. After that it's just a glorified blue ray player.


from what i heard it's better to play FFXV on Pro lite if not PS4 base

instead of using a PS4 pro as a blu-ray player-- it's better to use a stand alone blu-ray for that due to power consumption

blu-ray players can also play blu-ray discs but for like 15-20W? vs the PS4 pro? 50-70W ?




ninjitsuko wrote:

Yeah, I haven't bothered connecting it to one of the few 1080 televisions I have left in the house. I gave one away to my girlfriend's parents for their beach house (hey, I did survive a week with them - I'm still alive!). I'm pretty sure the graphical increase wouldn't be all that remarkable, other than shading and colors (at most). I did go through the efforts of forcing my television to view the PS4 Pro as a 1080 device (and turned off HDR). It wasn't too bad, but it definitely looked closer to what I'm used to on my base PS4.

Because consoles are trying to race towards the graphical fidelity of the PC, you'll learn that the methodology of Microsoft and Sony will shift drastically in the next two or three console iterations. What I mean by that is that energy efficiency will become something that won't be as focused upon. To be fair, the PS4 Pro/Slim both reduce their footprint drastically compared to the base model. It's not too bad at all.

Well... let's talk about the PS Vita a little bit.


I actually think that the PS Vita is a strong system on its own. It's more so that they couldn't compete with Nintendo on American soil at all. I import a helluva lot of games for my Vita (it helps to speak/read Japanese). I think that the Vita in Japan is still "lukewarm". However, I would be confused as hell if Sony pushed out another handheld device anytime soon (unless they try to mimic the Nintendo Switch in some way or another). The US-based games I tend to get are all PSOne Classics. I have about 10 physical, America-released, PS Vita games. On the other hand, I have about 34 Japanese-released, physical Vita games.

The original "lure" of the Vita was "Remote Play" for me. I enjoyed being able to play some PS4 games on my Vita while watching television (RPGs, especially - but, I did beat "The Evil Within" using Remote Play almost exclusively). Now it's mostly a "play old school PSX games that run at the smallest possible resolution that is known to man" handheld for me (recently been playing Mega Man X4 while waiting for FFXV). It pushes out PS3-level graphics into a handheld, color me impressed.

I don't think that Sony will be falling into the realm of the Vita when it comes to their consoles. They're still reigning champions. It's a battle between XB1/Scorpio and PS4 Pro/PS5 (if/when it comes out). I'm not too hellbent on getting "native 4K" on a console. Most PC games aren't even native 4K (just that graphic cards are way more powerful and can handle it better). As for the lack of a 4K Blu-Ray player? I don't really care about that either - there's enough digital 4K content to satisfy me at the moment. :/


they can make an energy efficient console if they wanted to-- they did this every single system cycle- in their SLIM or SLIMMER (Super SLIM) version

not sure there will be a PS4 super slim o r PS4 Pro Slim ?

the Vita is a powerful game console but there are few games for the system-

1- the cost of producing games for the vita
2- the owner base of the vita

those two main reasons are why we don't have a lot of games for the vita

it's pretty clear to me when i see a $200 console can not be purchase at most retailers and the price jumped to $250-400 (NEW) in some third party merchants

people who wanted video quality prefer physical disc when it comes to movies.. which is the reason why they wanted a 4K blu-ray player in the ps4 pro

the video quality from a blu-ray disc vs streaming is pretty clear (i'm sure you can find some article or videos on the video quality comparison on the net)

I don't know there are any games that are native 4K yet..

you can really call it native 4K when the original game was developed at 720p or 900p and upscaled to 1080p or 1440 or 1800p. etc..

i know some gamers don't like the word "upscaled" but that's pretty much what it is

if they considered upscaled games as native 4K games.. then my blu-ray discs are also 4K blu-ray? when playing on a 4K tv? since those tv will upscale the movies to 4K





SatoMadoka wrote:

Not so sure anymore. Really want too but eh...I'm not sure of the benefits really or if I should get a "normal" one. But then I may regret that and...idk. Mostly want FFXV right now so bad but I think it may come to PC too so ugh


the difference is clear if you have a 4k tv and the game is patched for upscaled 4K

so either get a big enough 4K tv or sit close enough to see the difference

i'm about 13-14 ft way from my tv.. so for 4K to make a diffrence for me i'll need a 90+ in 4k tv.. either that or i can sit closer..

for now some of the 4K patches are making the game worst though-- if you downloaded the patch it will also make the base game worst.

but this is the price of early tech..

FFXV will be out on PC as well later i'm sure

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.