First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Are you aware of your own biases?
22156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 11/8/16

Ranwolf wrote:


DrunkKanti wrote:



LOL. The fact that you can't see the bias there is hilarious to me, but keep on going with this whole 'holier-than-thou I'm in the military so I'm better than the common man' shtick. Anybody who can't admit their own faults has no chance of ever fixing them.


I am not as you put it holier then thou because I serve in the CAF. I am "holier then thou" because I serve period. Military service is not the only kind of service I respect. Doctors, Teachers, Police Officers, hell even some politicians have my respect. This is because they are helping people and trying to make the world around them a better place.

However I have no respect for people like you who offer nothing but snark and criticism. And I have no respect for those who do nothing to make the world a better place. And I have nothing but contempt for those who expect the world to do everything for them. If that is bias so be it, it is better then the alternative.


Ranwolf, I just wanted to say you're a cool guy, for what it's worth. Maybe it'll turn out I disagree with you on virtually everything regarding how to make the world a better place but at least you're trying friend, so you have my utmost respect for that, and thank you for your service <3
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/16 , edited 11/8/16

ClothStatue wrote:



Ranwolf, I just wanted to say you're a cool guy, for what it's worth. Maybe it'll turn out I disagree with you on virtually everything regarding how to make the world a better place but at least you're trying friend, so you have my utmost respect for that, and thank you for your service <3


Thank you for your kind words and don't sweat it. I am use to being disagreed with, and I freely admit I am not always right but in this I think I am right, no real way to tell in the end though. I am only one man and my actions only spread so far.
628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 11/8/16

Ranwolf wrote:


DrunkKanti wrote:



LOL. The fact that you can't see the bias there is hilarious to me, but keep on going with this whole 'holier-than-thou I'm in the military so I'm better than the common man' shtick. Anybody who can't admit their own faults has no chance of ever fixing them.


I am not as you put it holier then thou because I serve in the CAF. I am "holier then thou" because I serve period. Military service is not the only kind of service I respect. Doctors, Teachers, Police Officers, hell even some politicians have my respect. This is because they are helping people and trying to make the world around them a better place.

However I have no respect for people like you who offer nothing but snark and criticism. And I have no respect for those who do nothing to make the world a better place. And I have nothing but contempt for those who expect the world to do everything for them. If that is bias so be it, it is better then the alternative.


The absolute arrogance of this post is astounding. You have absolutely no idea who I am or what I do, but you judge me based on a few posts on an anime message board. I'm sorry I'm a pacifist who didn't chose a line of work where violence and murder are not only accepted but encouraged. Being a soldier, a doctor, a teacher, or a politician aren't the only ways to make a positive impact on this world (and guess what? I've been a teacher).

But this thread is about bias, and with every post you show more and more bias. It's not an evil or terrible thing to be bias. It just means you're human.
4173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Reality
Offline
Posted 11/8/16
Completely aware.
3974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/8/16
Yes and no, there are some that are like the whole fish in water analogy I'm sure and some that I've questioned and worked with, some I'm aware of and haven't done anything with. It's a work in progress, since we're constantly accumulating layers of them within everyday life. The best we can do is cultivate some awareness, do something about it if we want and they'll shed if we're willing to put in the work to actually analyze and criticize things thoroughly, and be willing to be wrong and be willing to change.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/16

DrunkKanti wrote:


The absolute arrogance of this post is astounding. You have absolutely no idea who I am or what I do, but you judge me based on a few posts on an anime message board. I'm sorry I'm a pacifist who didn't chose a line of work where violence and murder are not only accepted but encouraged. Being a soldier, a doctor, a teacher, or a politician aren't the only ways to make a positive impact on this world (and guess what? I've been a teacher).

But this thread is about bias, and with every post you show more and more bias. It's not an evil or terrible thing to be bias. It just means you're human.


I may be arrogant according to your warped sense of viewing the world , one I disagree with. I may even be assuming a lot , I don't think I am a few words can say a lot after all.

But you've gone from simply questioning my character to accusing me of murder. Exactly how in that mind of yours does my time in Afghanistan equate to murder? The terrorists I killed were not killed in cold blood nor in a manner any court would consider illegal. They chose a path incompatible with any sort of moral or legal reason be it atheist or theist in origin. They are nothing more then scum who deal in drugs, sex trafficking, arms dealing, and bloodshed.

These crimes carry the death penalty in a lot of countries and if not some severe punishment. Criminals who resist Police Officers by use of lethal force are in return dealt lethal force. Every single member of the ISAF was doing nothing more then your average Police Officer would do on the streets of a western city when faced with the same situation.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 11/9/16

Ranwolf wrote:Well that is a truly depressing viewpoint and a utterly wrong one as far as I am concerned. It does explain why you are too jaded to see any positives to a truly selfless attitude though. And as a side note your parents were terrible people if that was the lesson they taught you.


As for this is a piss poor way of supporting your jaded viewpoint. If Student A was truly in a position to offer his help to Student B that means a) he either has enough free time that he can make up his own studies later or b) He finds the subject matter easy enough to understand that a grinding study session(s) are not needed for him. If neither of these conditions are true Student A would not been helping Student B or he wouldn't if he had an gram of sense.


I'm sorry but you are aware of how contradictory these two points are right? Your first point you are condemning someone for not seeing any positives in being truly selfless and in the next paragraph you condemn someone as not possessing a gram of sense for putting another's needs ahead of theirs and then go on to state it would be better if they did not help at all. I think I understand the point you were trying to make but please be aware it wasn't articulated in a particularly clear manner (I know, pot kettle black. I'm an ineloquent fecker at the best of times).

As someone from a military background and family I do respect anyone who serves but I cannot say I respect your attitude towards serving. Just because someone is a soldier, teacher, doctor or police officer doesn't make them better than other people. Everyone from a farmer to a factory worker to a check out assistant deserves recognition for what they do; if it wasn't for them you wouldn't eat, you wouldn't have clothes on your back or a roof over you head and you can be damn well sure if it wasn't for tradesmen and engineers those doctors wouldn't have a hospital to work out of or equipment to use.
Same goes for you as a soldier. You wouldn't be able to do your job if it wasn't for a whole laundry list of people working jobs that enable you to do so.
If anyone deserves respect it is those who feed you, cloth you, put a roof over your head and enable you to live the life you do.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 11/9/16

MacMeaties wrote:
I'm sorry but you are aware of how contradictory these two points are right? Your first point you are condemning someone for not seeing any positives in being truly selfless and in the next paragraph you condemn someone as not possessing a gram of sense for putting another's needs ahead of theirs and then go on to state it would be better if they did not help at all. I think I understand the point you were trying to make but please be aware it wasn't articulated in a particularly clear manner (I know, pot kettle black. I'm an ineloquent fecker at the best of times).

As someone from a military background and family I do respect anyone who serves but I cannot say I respect your attitude towards serving. Just because someone is a soldier, teacher, doctor or police officer doesn't make them better than other people. Everyone from a farmer to a factory worker to a check out assistant deserves recognition for what they do; if it wasn't for them you wouldn't eat, you wouldn't have clothes on your back or a roof over you head and you can be damn well sure if it wasn't for tradesmen and engineers those doctors wouldn't have a hospital to work out of or equipment to use.
Same goes for you as a soldier. You wouldn't be able to do your job if it wasn't for a whole laundry list of people working jobs that enable you to do so.
If anyone deserves respect it is those who feed you, cloth you, put a roof over your head and enable you to live the life you do.


I also said I respect those who try to make the world a better and those who service contributes to that. Did I paint in too broad strokes when I used the examples of soldier, teacher, doctor , and police officers as the kind of service I respect ? Maybe but honestly if I am going to be as specific as you seem to want me to be I'd be here all day. I mean just the sheer amount of people involved in just putting clothes on our backs is actually mind boggling when you think about it let alone any of the other material things in our lives.

As for being inarticulate I have never claimed in my entire life to be a wordsmith. I have always preferred to let my own two hands do my talking for me. Be it handing change to a homeless person to using a rifle in service of God and Country. I don't believe in dancing circles around anything. All this over complicating things people like to do is pointless. Ya can split hairs all day long if ya feel like it mate , it doesn't mean ya any more right then those who chose the more direct route.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 11/9/16

Ranwolf wrote:I also said I respect those who try to make the world a better and those who service contributes to that. Did I paint in too broad strokes when I used the examples of soldier, teacher, doctor , and police officers as the kind of service I respect ? Maybe but honestly if I am going to be as specific as you seem to want me to be I'd be here all day. I mean just the sheer amount of people involved in just putting clothes on our backs is actually mind boggling when you think about it let alone any of the other material things in our lives.

As for being inarticulate I have never claimed in my entire life to be a wordsmith. I have always preferred to let my own two hands do my talking for me. Be it handing change to a homeless person to using a rifle in service of God and Country. I don't believe in dancing circles around anything. All this over complicating things people like to do is pointless. Ya can split hairs all day long if ya feel like it mate , it doesn't mean ya any more right then those who chose the more direct route.


And as I said it is something I'm as guilty of as you. Just letting you know why some people in the thread are getting so butthurt over it.
Something we can definitely both agree on I imagine is that people who disrespect what service members do need a slap.
Posted 11/9/16

Ranwolf wrote:

I may be arrogant according to your warped sense of viewing the world , one I disagree with. I may even be assuming a lot , I don't think I am a few words can say a lot after all.

But you've gone from simply questioning my character to accusing me of murder. Exactly how in that mind of yours does my time in Afghanistan equate to murder? The terrorists I killed were not killed in cold blood nor in a manner any court would consider illegal. They chose a path incompatible with any sort of moral or legal reason be it atheist or theist in origin. They are nothing more then scum who deal in drugs, sex trafficking, arms dealing, and bloodshed.

These crimes carry the death penalty in a lot of countries and if not some severe punishment. Criminals who resist Police Officers by use of lethal force are in return dealt lethal force. Every single member of the ISAF was doing nothing more then your average Police Officer would do on the streets of a western city when faced with the same situation.


you killed for banksterism and helped the cia move the opium crop.


you are not to blame, you didnt know this when you thought you were helping humanity

22156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 11/9/16

ClothStatue wrote:

I keep lowering my expectations of men and yet so many seem determined to disappoint me.


I'd like to reflect on this with the results of the election. I feel more justified than ever in my bias.
1039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 11/9/16
I knew Trump would win despite what the polls show. The polls don't truly have an accurate pulse on the people. Plus I wished i wasn't right because my faith in people is at an all time low from their character to intelligence.
2022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/9/16 , edited 11/9/16
Same here I cant wait until LGBT and trans funds are cut and marriage is returned to its proper pedestal.
1682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 11/9/16
or to be more precise - I'm biased against sexists, racists, people like that
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.