First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Please stop -- Please read what I write and take it to heart.
11214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
Overall, the real question left from this thread is 'what is a well-adjusted millenial'.
qwueri 
16896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

gornotck wrote:

Overall, the real question left from this thread is 'what is a well-adjusted millenial'.


Any millennial able to sustain themselves and (if they have them) their kids.
10295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

qwueri wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Overall, the real question left from this thread is 'what is a well-adjusted millenial'.


Any millennial able to sustain themselves and (if they have them) their kids.


Probably one of the worst explanations possible, with our current economy.

Hell, I've been struggling off and on for years, and have needed more help than I like to admit.

But, I have made every effort from the time I graduated high school to get into a stable position in life. I joined the Marine Corps, followed up with college...

Got a job at a newspaper, struggled and struggled with the pay. Over the course of two years, my boss gave me $4 per hour in raises. It still wasn't enough.

I've went back to school, and still going, and I'm now with the Sheriff's Office as a jailer because it suits my schedule while going back to school. But, the pay is worse than the newspaper, and I'm doing it mostly for the benefits.

And that could all be incredibly different, were I to know the right people. Also, my situation is unique because I'm tied down to this area, and cannot move somewhere with higher pay.

But, my point is, how much you get paid has incredibly little to do with how well-adjusted you are. My dad made great money as an electrician, his entire life, but was a barely functioning alcoholic and habitual drug user who eventually died of an overdose. I'd hardly say he was well-adjusted.
Humms 
11074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
But... then the news would be boring and ratings will be low bad for economy.

You can't tell a dog to drop a bone just because you tell it to. You have to rip it out of its mouth. "Humms 2020"
qwueri 
16896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Probably one of the worst explanations possible, with our current economy.

Hell, I've been struggling off and on for years, and have needed more help than I like to admit.

But, I have made every effort from the time I graduated high school to get into a stable position in life. I joined the Marine Corps, followed up with college...

Got a job at a newspaper, struggled and struggled with the pay. Over the course of two years, my boss gave me $4 per hour in raises. It still wasn't enough.

I've went back to school, and still going, and I'm now with the Sheriff's Office as a jailer because it suits my schedule while going back to school. But, the pay is worse than the newspaper, and I'm doing it mostly for the benefits.

And that could all be incredibly different, were I to know the right people. Also, my situation is unique because I'm tied down to this area, and cannot move somewhere with higher pay.

But, my point is, how much you get paid has incredibly little to do with how well-adjusted you are. My dad made great money as an electrician, his entire life, but was a barely functioning alcoholic and habitual drug user who eventually died of an overdose. I'd hardly say he was well-adjusted.


Fortunately I didn't specify sustaining oneself financially. I probably gave too vague a description, but purely on the general level I'd consider being able to pay your bills, get along with others socially, and maintain your own well being sustaining yourself.
10295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

qwueri wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:

Probably one of the worst explanations possible, with our current economy.

Hell, I've been struggling off and on for years, and have needed more help than I like to admit.

But, I have made every effort from the time I graduated high school to get into a stable position in life. I joined the Marine Corps, followed up with college...

Got a job at a newspaper, struggled and struggled with the pay. Over the course of two years, my boss gave me $4 per hour in raises. It still wasn't enough.

I've went back to school, and still going, and I'm now with the Sheriff's Office as a jailer because it suits my schedule while going back to school. But, the pay is worse than the newspaper, and I'm doing it mostly for the benefits.

And that could all be incredibly different, were I to know the right people. Also, my situation is unique because I'm tied down to this area, and cannot move somewhere with higher pay.

But, my point is, how much you get paid has incredibly little to do with how well-adjusted you are. My dad made great money as an electrician, his entire life, but was a barely functioning alcoholic and habitual drug user who eventually died of an overdose. I'd hardly say he was well-adjusted.


Fortunately I didn't specify sustaining oneself financially. I probably gave too vague a description, but purely on the general level I'd consider being able to pay your bills, get along with others socially, and maintain your own well being sustaining yourself.


Yeah, I guess that's somewhat fair.

But, I'd argue more along the lines that being well-adjusted is much more about what it isn't than what it is.
10295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

gornotck wrote:

Overall, the real question left from this thread is 'what is a well-adjusted millenial'.


I'd say they appear as any other well-adjusted individual.

My definition for well-adjusted:

Having few developed or taught behaviors and habits that make life for oneself or others more difficult.
11214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
...now I feel like being stubborn.

I think you both need to work on your definitions. I admit I'm not 'well-adjusted' by anyone's scale, but both of you end up lassoing people into your categories who may actually be well-adjusted or maladjusted.

You can pay your bills, maintain social contacts, and keep yourself healthy and sane and be maladjusted. These people, from what I've seen, tend to be somewhat disingenuous. They have things they want to do, or think they have to do, but can't either do it or talk about it.

You can have people with multiple behaviors and habits that make life difficult for everyone and be well-adjusted. These people can be a handful, certainly, but they also tend to be pretty successful people.
11632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
I've been hearing the "the sky is falling" every 4 years for quite some time now. You'll notice I'm a bit up there in the years. I think the younger people today will live.


uncletim wrote:

I can't respect anyone who bought their way out of doing their duty to me that is as low as running to Canada and nothing you say is going to change my mind


What's your opinion of Ali?
18087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 11/10/16

dotsforlife wrote:

I've been hearing the "the sky is falling" every 4 years for quite some time now. You'll notice I'm a bit up there in the years. I think the younger people today will live.


uncletim wrote:

I can't respect anyone who bought their way out of doing their duty to me that is as low as running to Canada and nothing you say is going to change my mind


What's your opinion of Ali?


They stripped Ali of his title
Shouldn't they strip Trump of his presidency?
1107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
No i think I enjoy the general assholishness and dickishness that is running rampant right now. And you know what I'll revel in it as long as its still trending.
One Punch Mod
88448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
Some of the more aggressively homophobic posts and related responses have been removed or edited.

Sorry that it's likely to result in a few out of order posts.
11632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

uncletim wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:

I've been hearing the "the sky is falling" every 4 years for quite some time now. You'll notice I'm a bit up there in the years. I think the younger people today will live.


uncletim wrote:

I can't respect anyone who bought their way out of doing their duty to me that is as low as running to Canada and nothing you say is going to change my mind


What's your opinion of Ali?


They stripped Ali of his title
Shouldn't they strip Trump of his presidency?


In a fantasy, sure. If going AWOL doesn't, this won't either.
SGZone 
85 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
Agreed on the rioting and destruction, however, the large number of peaceful protesting that is one hundred percent alright. He is president nothing to be done about that. That does not mean people have to accept, respect it or be alright with it. Those protesters are exercising their freedom of speech and I say more power to them. Just because your side lost does not mean you should be silent about it. Remember he did not win the popular vote. For many of these protesters, this is a warning to Trump just because you won the presidency does not mean you won America and they are ready to fight you every step of the way. If it were a direct democracy he would have lost and this is a symbol of that.

I hope he makes good on his promises and is a "president for everyone" but we will see and until then I encourage these protesters to protest in peace and not go silently into that good night.
15099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16

SGZone wrote:I hope he makes good on his promises and is a "president for everyone" but we will see and until then I encourage these protesters to protest in peace and not go silently into that good night.


And remind him who, at the end of the day, gets to say You're Fired.
10499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Bowie-Sensei wrote:


It's not really lies. EVerything was based off of polls. Just because polls were wrong doesn't mean that they were lying, the ones being polled were. Have you heard of the shy tory factor? Basically, if someone feels like their position is socially unacceptable, they're less likely to speak up. This is also with the disparity in the brexit polls.


Shy voter did help Trump but I'm pretty sure the polls were just plain biased. They would oversample democrats in traditionally red states.

The media lies I'm talking about is more to do with the 24/7 smear campaign against Trump while either ignoring or covering for Clinton's doings.


Again, I feel like lying implied malicious intent. Many polls nowadays are online, so they're entirely dependent on who responds to them.
When I saw numbers like 90% for Hillary I knew there was a problem with demographics.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.