First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What if This Reality Is Just a Dream?
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
Title says it all. What if this reality we're all "living" in is just a dream, and we're all alseep. When we "die", we wake up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as (Rick and Morty's interpretation)



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dSVJRdu8N4 (Vanilla Sky Interpretation)


Both are great interpretation of this theory, but I'd recommend the rick and morty's one if you want a 2 minute video. 2nd choice, Vanilla Sky, if you want a more thorough explanation that mind f**ks u even harder.
7005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
I think that since we live so much in our imaginations and are so detached from our actual experience that the way we conduct ourselves in life is like we're living in a dream and for the most part it isn't even our dream but someone elses.
1141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
If it is I wish there were more jump cuts that way the audience don't have to watch me scratch my balls or watching me walk from place to place.
13328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
I don't think I would want to be a person who could dream the lives that some people have.
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
And when we wake up, we're still in a simulation, when we die in that reality, we wake up again, and again and again. Do you see how ridiculous this sounds?

This sort of thing belongs with mythology, religions, bigfoot and alien sightings. People are bored and cannot face up to reality so they feel the need to invent ridiculous things to feel excitement. Or they're just stupid and delusional. Pick your poison.
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16

NyxUlric wrote:

And when we wake up, we're still in a simulation, when we die in that reality, we wake up again, and again and again. Do you see how ridiculous this sounds?

This sort of thing belongs with mythology, religions, bigfoot and alien sightings. People are bored and cannot face up to reality so they feel the need to invent ridiculous things to feel excitement. Or they're just stupid and delusional. Pick your poison.


Or maybe when we die, it'll be just like before we were born. Nothingness. Honestly, wouldn't be good or bad. It'd just be feeling at ease, no worries, stress, or feelings.
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16

OnePunchJoJo wrote:
Or maybe when we die, it'll be just like before we were born. Nothingness. Honestly, wouldn't be good or bad. It'd just be feeling at ease, no worries, stress, or feelings.


Exactly. All evidence and observations points to that conclusion, memories and personalities are stored in the brain, not in some imaginary thing inside our body invented by nutjobs. That is why when people hit their head and get total amnesia, they become a totally different person.

When we die, the brain is dead, there is no more "you". Your memories and personalities aren't magically transferred by a fairy into your imaginary non-physical body.
4455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
Mister Anderson.
69 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16

NyxUlric wrote:

And when we wake up, we're still in a simulation, when we die in that reality, we wake up again, and again and again. Do you see how ridiculous this sounds?

This sort of thing belongs with mythology, religions, bigfoot and alien sightings. People are bored and cannot face up to reality so they feel the need to invent ridiculous things to feel excitement. Or they're just stupid and delusional. Pick your poison.


I disagree. It's entirely possible that we live in a simulated reality. Civilization is already on its way to creating life simulations, so what's leading to the conclusion that we are the first and original of all simulations? Even today, we have already started replicating the five human senses for robot technology. It sounds absurd to dismiss the whole concept simply because it sounds "ridiculous" to you.
1141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
A microcosm in a macrocosm that is also considered a microcosm in a macrocosm.
1764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Shanghai China
Online
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
well according to the math nothing in our reality is real its just a computer simulation and its looking more and more like it actually is possible and more and more scientists are looking into the possibility that we are inside a computer simulation. I was wondering when someone would make a post about this. This includes scientists at the university of Washington. I am not sure because its not my area of expertise but I think it has to do with the fact that deep within super string theory someone found binary code where it shouldn't be and its not just any binary code its error correcting binary code that computers use.
Ejanss 
15939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
"Did you ever hear the story of the Chinese philosopher, who dreamed he was a butterfly and when he woke up, said 'Am I man who dreamed I was a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming I am a man?'?"
"...Either way, get ready with the net."

-- Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy
15097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 11/10/16
please god let it be a dream.
21050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 11/10/16 , edited 11/10/16
Even if it were it is irrelevant since this reality seems real enough to me.

In the end, it is a matter of perspective.


gsm642 wrote:

well according to the math nothing in our reality is real its just a computer simulation and its looking more and more like it actually is possible and more and more scientists are looking into the possibility that we are inside a computer simulation. I was wondering when someone would make a post about this. This includes scientists at the university of Washington. I am not sure because its not my area of expertise but I think it has to do with the fact that deep within super string theory someone found binary code where it shouldn't be and its not just any binary code its error correcting binary code that computers use.


This has not been proven, but it is considered a realistic possibility.

That being said, what is to say our understanding of physics and math is still severely flawed and we are therefore drawing the wrong conclusions?
1141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 11/10/16

Adjacent-Taurus wrote:

A microcosm in a macrocosm that is also considered a microcosm in a macrocosm.


And that macrocosm is also a microcosm connected to other microcosms forming a macrocosm.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.