First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Coolest Katana Picture
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/13/08 , edited 2/13/08
Hey everyone. there hasn't really been any activities going on in this group lately so I decided to make a little contest.

Whoever uploads the picture of the coolest katana will be rewarded. Of course not with anything material haha. I will put that member's name in the main page of the group and recognize him or her as winner, and his or her picture will be used as avatar of the group. Please do participate. THEe deadline is....well, I'll give out that information soon.

Thanks!

jc-san
Posted 2/14/08
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 2/17/08
heres a pretty cool pic



and the katana, and katana deluxe cellphone!





Member
710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / In the Hearts and...
Offline
Posted 2/18/08
The legendary Muramasa of the Edo period.......


The sword of the real Okita Souji.......


Nagasone Kotetsu
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/18/08
I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them
Member
710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / In the Hearts and...
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


the process of making a katana is grueling. THe literal test for their sharpness after completion is *dropping* a piece of silk on it and letting it run down the blade. If the blade is perfect- the silk should split
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


Then where are the real ones?
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

Macedonian wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


the process of making a katana is grueling. THe literal test for their sharpness after completion is *dropping* a piece of silk on it and letting it run down the blade. If the blade is perfect- the silk should split


I didnt know they did that to test its sharpness. thnks for the information
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 2/19/08

jc-san wrote:


Macedonian wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


the process of making a katana is grueling. THe literal test for their sharpness after completion is *dropping* a piece of silk on it and letting it run down the blade. If the blade is perfect- the silk should split


I didnt know they did that to test its sharpness. thnks for the information


the process of making real katanas is quite interesting. Its a slew of metal layer compression, and stone sharpening/polishing. The stone polishing/sharpening is particularly unique.
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/19/08
oh yea, i did know that. but it still quite amazing how they do it.
Member
710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / In the Hearts and...
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


Then where are the real ones?


The real ones are could have been lost/destroyed in battle, own by really rich guys, or in museums in Japan.
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


Then where are the real ones?


The real ones are could have been lost/destroyed in battle, own by really rich guys, or in museums in Japan.


too bad. but well, if they still exist, those things would be like antiques.
10508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / I go where Ryu go...
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


Then where are the real ones?


The real ones are could have been lost/destroyed in battle, own by really rich guys, or in museums in Japan.


too bad. but well, if they still exist, those things would be like antiques.


at the westernization of japan, swords were melted down for their metal in order to make guns (and if you would believe it- bayonettes). Its more common to find a katana handgrip than a whole katana. My grade 10 substitute art teacher had lived in Japan for a number of years. He said the real katanas if you would like to buy one is: a pain in the ass to find and at the least 10 grand. He bought a real samaurai costume for i think 5 grand and hes bought the handgrip of a katana for i think (i dont quite remember) 1 grand. I think hes gonna get a blade put on that hilt.
Creator
1687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 2/20/08

Macedonian wrote:


jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:


jirvildavid wrote:


jc-san wrote:

I like the 3 last ones. I wish I could have one of them


They look good aren't they? But those are just replicas, they're nothing compared to the real ones.


Then where are the real ones?


The real ones are could have been lost/destroyed in battle, own by really rich guys, or in museums in Japan.


too bad. but well, if they still exist, those things would be like antiques.


at the westernization of japan, swords were melted down for their metal in order to make guns (and if you would believe it- bayonettes). Its more common to find a katana handgrip than a whole katana. My grade 10 substitute art teacher had lived in Japan for a number of years. He said the real katanas if you would like to buy one is: a pain in the ass to find and at the least 10 grand. He bought a real samaurai costume for i think 5 grand and hes bought the handgrip of a katana for i think (i dont quite remember) 1 grand. I think hes gonna get a blade put on that hilt.



how much is a grand?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.