First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply First Full Ghost in the Shell live action Trailer
2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 26 days ago , edited 19 days ago
Trailer Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4




I have to say, as an amateur animator/filmmaker, the original Ghost in the Shell is one of my biggest influences. I think it's one of the best films of all time. (Not best anime film...best FILM, in general)

And to me this has always been a specifically Japanese story. I don't like that they felt the need to add white actors in all three of the lead roles, not just Scarlett Johansson. Also if you're going to feature non-Japanese actors, why not have Hispanic actor in the lead roles? Or Indian? Or African?

I don't understand it, and I believe the casting will have the opposite effect on the movie and lose money in the US because of the unnecessary white casting.

In a lot of cases I understand casting White actors in roles that were previously a different race. (Recently I liked Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One) I don't know, as an African American filmmaker who hopes to make films in the industry one day, these kinds of decisions really bother me.

On top of that the movie just doesn't look that good to me haha And I don't believe it will be as ground breaking and as interesting as the original.

But that's just my opinion I guess. I'm curious what you guys think. Have you seen the original? If not, how does this one look?





-----------------------------------------------------------------------------



Brandon Wright
Creator of Deadstar: The Animated Series, Filmmaker, Animator, Otaku
Animated Series website: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeadstarSeries
32274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 26 days ago , edited 24 days ago
It looks okay. I have some issues with the theme there going on The major wasn't the first of her kind.. and Cybertics and such things were very commonplace in the Ghost in the Shell universe and more deal with what it was to be human and where does the machine end and the man begin...

and why is she naked for half the trailer that seem pointless or just attention grabber to me..

could Be fun if I just shut my brain off and watch it for the visuals..
2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 26 days ago

curr0001 wrote:

It looks okay. I have some issues with the theme there going on The major wasn't the first of her kind.. and Cybertics and such things were very commonplace in the Ghost in the Shell universe and more deal with what it was to be human and where does the machine end and the man begin...

and why is she naked for half the trailer that seem pointless or just attention grabber to me..

could Be fun if I just shut my brain off and watch it for the visuals..



Well remember though the very first scene in the original movie, The Major has that famous scene of her being actually shown naked in the invisible suit. Here it looks like they just made her in a skin tight suit. Of course many guys would love to see Scar-Jo naked like Kusanagi was in the original lol But I think it's PG-13 and Scar-Jo is a big time, respectable actress, so the skin-tight suit makes sense I guess.

My main problem was, why was the trailer so violent? I want the movie itself to have that violence but are they allowed to just show her shooting people like that in green-band main stream movie trailer? I don't mind violence but things have changed since I was a kid watching movie trailers lol
2220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 26 days ago
Her getup was a little too naked for me. I always really like the Major's design from the film and the Stand Alone Complex series, and this comparatively feels...stripped down?

I think it is interesting that they are trying to delve into her past, but at the same time, she has never shown any particular interest in her past throughout the various installments.The movie is also seemingly portraying her as an emotionally swayed person, when in the anime/manga she wasn't very emotionally inclined. I mean she did have emotional connections, but besides her relationship with Batou, they were all very subdued and secondary to the plot.

At the very least, Hollywood does tend to do a good job with action. I doubt that much will be lacking.

I don't want to say much on the casting. I personally would've preferred an upstart Asian actress, but I've also heard that the original author (or at least the editor) didn't necessarily envision Motoko as such. In the trailer, only the Major and Batou are present. I know Aramaki will be in the film, and hopefully they incorporate the rest of section 9, maybe even the tachikomas.

I'm trying not to have any particular expectations for this film, but I will say that hopefully it gets people interested in the source material. My biggest fear, is that people will see this, expect the GitSverse to be just like it, then be disappointed when they check out the anime.
8266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 26 days ago
I really liked the visual elements shown in the trailer with the exception of Batou who just didn't look right to me. The sets, though, are completely bang on perfect. The "naked" bodysuit design is actually less revealing than in the original movie so no issues there. I also really liked the song choice in the trailer though I do sincerely hope the main song from the original movie gets used in this version at least once. It's such an iconic piece that still grabs your ears all these years later.

I was, however, a little disappointed by where they seem to be going with the story line. Motoko's history was never really a major part of the original movie (though it may have been in the other GITS media, I'm only familiar with the movie) but in this version it seems like they are making it a major aspect. I suppose I was expecting more of a straight conversion of the original anime and less of an original story with the same characters. It may not end up being bad but I can't say I like it as of yet.

As for the casting, I'm not sure what to say. I would have loved to see an Asian actress in the role of Motoko but I also don't know if the movie would exist if that were the case. If it did exist, it would almost certainly not look this good. Scarlet is a very capable action lead but her Motoko feels too expressive to me in this trailer. The expressiveness, however, could be more on the director than on Scarlet though so I wouldn't necessarily blame her for that. There's also the fact that despite having a Japanese name, I don't know that Motoko was ever specifically identified as being Japanese in the first place (especially considering that she's not physically human). To me, it's disappointing to be sure but it's still complicated.
25081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 26 days ago

I've got no problems with the naked-like bodysuit armor nor the action sequences, costume design and environment. What I wasn't keen on were the choice of actors, both for Motoko and Batou, (haven't seen what the other characters looked like, as I'm basing this post from the trailer posted on the OP), and probably the storyline.


With Motoko alone, the delivery of lines felt wrong to me. It felt guttural, soft and very fragile. And though I give credit to Scarlet for being a top-notch actress, in my opinion, this character just does not suit her. Whether Asian or not, wish they'd have gone with someone else.


As for the story, its too hard to give a verdict based on the trailer alone. But if they're creating a majority of it around Motoko's personal story, I would rather they keep it minimal, and focus more on the cybernetics, the politics, scandals and underground insurgence that continually festers in such an advanced society.


But hey, this is Hollywood. And sadly, from what I've seen of movies based on anime and videogames, they'd either exaggerate or twist things around to make it more commercialized, even to the point of sacrificing the original material. Hence, my expectations were pretty low to begin with.
20233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Hellhole, USA
Offline
Posted 26 days ago


2198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 26 days ago

-CLICK- wrote:


I've got no problems with the naked-like bodysuit armor nor the action sequences, costume design and environment. What I wasn't keen on were the choice of actors, both for Motoko and Batou, (haven't seen what the other characters looked like, as I'm basing this post from the trailer posted on the OP), and probably the storyline.


With Motoko alone, the delivery of lines felt wrong to me. It felt guttural, soft and very fragile. And though I give credit to Scarlet for being a top-notch actress, in my opinion, this character just does not suit her. Whether Asian or not, wish they'd have gone with someone else.


As for the story, its too hard to give a verdict based on the trailer alone. But if they're creating a majority of it around Motoko's personal story, I would rather they keep it minimal, and focus more on the cybernetics, the politics, scandals and underground insurgence that continually festers in such an advanced society.


But hey, this is Hollywood. And sadly, from what I've seen of movies based on anime and videogames, they'd either exaggerate or twist things around to make it more commercialized, even to the point of sacrificing the original material. Hence, my expectations were pretty low to begin with.



I agree, Johansson is good actress, but this character doesn't really suit her though. At least not The Major I'm used. Also isn't Batou supposed to be an old, experienced, tall guy? He's young and short in this trailer. And...ya know...not Japanese haha Does Batou have to be white too? I understand Johansson is a big name but why do the other lead characters have to be white too? And it's not in America, it takes place in Japan. Weird...
63528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 26 days ago
I personally think it looks great from the trailer. I believe people get too picky when it comes to the casting. For me I could literally give a fuck. First off, it's made in Hollywood. Second, Mokoto's model isn't necessarily Asian despite her name. As long as the characters retain the same personality, I could care less who played them really. Based on Scarlet's performance in Lucy, I think this will be a good role for her.

As for the story, it seems to be taking elements from all over the series and that excites me. I can't wait to see what they can do, I just hope it isn't too bloated with them trying to smash too many things in.

It doesn't seem like it's just focused on action either so I hope we have some nice psychological themes in there as well.

Visuals look amazing, not much to add there.

And for the skin tight suit, again, literally could care less.
6399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 26 days ago , edited 26 days ago

StriderShinryu wrote:

(though it may have been in the other GITS media, I'm only familiar with the movie).


How? why? You totally should check out GitS: SAC and 2nd Gig. They're so good and deal with actual legit mature subjects in a legit mature style/way (not the faux mature b.s. that is used for shock value in other anime/manga currently). Though this is assuming you haven't tried them yet and wanting to nudge towards watching them xD

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the trailer:

Its got me intrigued, I don't mind them altering things but gotta admit there's just certain things that are lost in the translation to live-action. As much as I can appreciate them moving away from the nudity of the original movie, I think it would've been better to color the bodysuit to a non-skin color cause why bother doing that. I'd rather they use the black and grey combat suit from the SAC & 2nd Gig series instead, since the only reasoning for the skin-color suit I can see would be fan-service, by this I mean the illusion of Scarlett Johansson nude (which isn't a major point of GitS). Its definitely not looking as bad as I thought it would, though the bar is particularly high since this is a top-tier anime franchise that deserves to be treated with respect.

25081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 26 days ago

Deadstarwebseries wrote:


I agree, Johansson is good actress, but this character doesn't really suit her though. At least not The Major I'm used. Also isn't Batou supposed to be an old, experienced, tall guy? He's young and short in this trailer. And...ya know...not Japanese haha Does Batou have to be white too? I understand Johansson is a big name but why do the other lead characters have to be white too? And it's not in America, it takes place in Japan. Weird...



Indeed, Batou looks different on this one. He's a seasoned fighter that was designed in the anime to be tall but well-built, and from what I've gathered, his wall-like presence is based off of a minotaur or horse (hence, his name).


Just as I've mentioned earlier with regards to Scarlet playing Motoko, I also personally don't see any issue if Batou is cast as white or Asian. And whether we feel for or against their choice of actors, unfortunately we are not the Casting Director for this movie to make that call.

8266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 25 days ago

xCrimsonEX wrote:


StriderShinryu wrote:

(though it may have been in the other GITS media, I'm only familiar with the movie).


How? why? You totally should check out GitS: SAC and 2nd Gig. They're so good and deal with actual legit mature subjects in a legit mature style/way (not the faux mature b.s. that is used for shock value in other anime/manga currently). Though this is assuming you haven't tried them yet and wanting to nudge towards watching them xD


Honestly, I'm not sure why I haven't watched them. lol I keep telling myself that I should watch the other GITS media at some point but keep forgetting about it. In fact, I actually just rewatched the original GITS movie on Friday night and had know idea that there was an event for the live action movie or anything coming soon. Knowing that our tastes seem to align on other things, I'll be sure to take your recommendation to heart and check them out for sure this time.
17891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 25 days ago
The anime hipsters are going hate this. I think it looks great and the action captures the feel of the anime. Plus anything and I mean anything is better then that god awful Dragonball movie
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago
While I think that this looks to be more action heavy than I would have liked, I actually was pretty impressed by the trailer. For the most part everything looks pretty darn good. I have some issues with the color palette of the cloudy scenes, but other than that I think this trailer was about as good as I could have hoped. Heres hoping the full movie holds up.
1035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 25 days ago
Please i hope its not another Aeon Flux.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.