First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Discussion thread in an attempt to have Safer Spaces in Nerdom
18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

HolyDrumstick wrote:

I'd also like to point out that this thread, if you look at the sub-title, is directly discriminating against white cis straight males. It says, "If you are a POC, woman, queer, or a minority in anyway, come join the discussion. Allies welcome too :)"

I mean, I'm not a smart man, but that seems like an '-ism' to me. "If you aren't a minority and don't believe minorities are being oppressed you can't play with us!"

Can I start a thread for white cis straight males and 'allies' now? No? No? I mean, I wouldn't in the first place, because A.) I don't believe in this line of thinking and B.) I'm not an asshole OR a moron, and both of those seem almost like requirements at this point.


you seem to forget that only whites can be racist and bigots
3040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In a Yaoi Fanfic
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
I'm personally not sure why you feel the need to make a safe space, I've been openly gay ever since I've been on the forums and the only situations where I would even feel remotely close to being threatened or unsafe is if I come across a homophobe, which rarely happens and it doesn't really bother me, I just get amused by how they think.

It's an online forum, nobody cares about your race, gender, or sexual preference aside from a few bigoted individuals which mods will probably squash anyways.

As for your questions:

What is your favorite anime and why?
At the moment probably Yuri on ice, I'm not into ice skating but it's definitely caught and kept my attention because of the lack of same-sex relationships outside of yaoi and yuri anime. Plus it seems like the possibility of Yuuri and Victor getting together gets greater each episode that passes. Other than that I like Katekyo Hitman Reborn for some odd reason I can't put my finger on, I guess it's just because I find the characters interesting to watch.

How are you feeling today?
Slightly stressed because of an economics test tomorrow, but otherwise fine.

How are you taking care of yourselves in these hard times?

Self-confidence, just keep on building it up and you can take on the entire world.
17871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
I am going to put this out there.

I don't like Ghibli movies I know all true anime fans are suppose to pay homage at the altar of Miyazaki but I find his work boring
973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

uncletim wrote:

I am going to put this out there.

I don't like Ghibli movies I know all true anime fans are suppose to pay homage at the altar of Miyazaki but I find his work boring


That's perfectly fine i just enjoy his visual art style most of the time anyway to be honest.
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

Dogempire wrote:

I'm personally not sure why you feel the need to make a safe space, I've been openly gay ever since I've been on the forums and the only situations where I would even feel remotely close to being threatened or unsafe is if I come across a homophobe, which rarely happens and it doesn't really bother me, I just get amused by how they think.

It's an online forum, nobody cares about your race, gender, or sexual preference aside from a few bigoted individuals which mods will probably squash anyways.

As for your questions:

What is your favorite anime and why?
At the moment probably Yuri on ice, I'm not into ice skating but it's definitely caught and kept my attention because of the lack of same-sex relationships outside of yaoi and yuri anime. Plus it seems like the possibility of Yuuri and Victor getting together gets greater each episode that passes. Other than that I like Katekyo Hitman Reborn for some odd reason I can't put my finger on, I guess it's just because I find the characters insanely interesting.

How are you feeling today?
Slightly stressed because of an economics test tomorrow, but otherwise fine.

How are you taking care of yourselves in these hard times?

Self-confidence, just keep on building it up and you can take on the entire world.


I agree with what Dogempire said entirely really.

I don't have much to add on this thread without coming off as condescending and or rude so I'm going to avoid saying what I actually think of this forum.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
I think I'll take a pass on this thread since I'm one of those evil, nasty old white men. (hide your babies!).
Humms 
10537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
White men being the main focus............. You don't say.

So all of that coming here to vent without being judged -_- k.......

No this is good, I like this. Maybe we can start talking about Yaoi, and How Yuri probably has an overall better market.


I dunno maybe thats just my judgement free opinion, My unbiased approach to creating my safe space for the Yuri market.

How bout that?????
17871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

Humms wrote:

White men being the main focus............. You don't say.

So all of that coming here to vent without being judged -_- k.......

No this is good, I like this. Maybe we can start talking about Yaoi, and How Yuri probably has an overall better market.


I dunno maybe thats just my judgement free opinion, My unbiased approach to creating my safe space for the Yuri market.

How bout that?????

I think yaoi has the lager market share in manga while yuri has it in anime

2096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

SylveonLuna wrote:


Dogempire wrote:

I'm personally not sure why you feel the need to make a safe space, I've been openly gay ever since I've been on the forums and the only situations where I would even feel remotely close to being threatened or unsafe is if I come across a homophobe, which rarely happens and it doesn't really bother me, I just get amused by how they think.

It's an online forum, nobody cares about your race, gender, or sexual preference aside from a few bigoted individuals which mods will probably squash anyways.

As for your questions:

What is your favorite anime and why?
At the moment probably Yuri on ice, I'm not into ice skating but it's definitely caught and kept my attention because of the lack of same-sex relationships outside of yaoi and yuri anime. Plus it seems like the possibility of Yuuri and Victor getting together gets greater each episode that passes. Other than that I like Katekyo Hitman Reborn for some odd reason I can't put my finger on, I guess it's just because I find the characters insanely interesting.

How are you feeling today?
Slightly stressed because of an economics test tomorrow, but otherwise fine.

How are you taking care of yourselves in these hard times?

Self-confidence, just keep on building it up and you can take on the entire world.


I agree with what Dogempire said entirely really.

I don't have much to add on this thread without coming off as condescending and or rude so I'm going to avoid saying what I actually think of this forum.


I as well.

and that's coming from a female who also happens to be 100% minority.

I will say though, for someone creating a "safe space" to avoid racism, this is one of the most racist things I've seen on this site in a long, long time.

oops ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Moderator
Nicole 
73056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Space
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
Hi, everyone.

I'd like to just make a comment on this thread as it is being discussed and I find it pertinent to share my opinion about it.

This is tricky topic, the topic of "safe spaces," but one that I advocate for personally. However, I do agree that the approach was a little off in how it was presented as it was something I viewed as self-victimizing, for lack of a better term. As a whole, we, as lovers of anime and manga, are already marginalized as is. To further marginalize ourselves by splitting the demographic and specifically calling out that this is heavily white male dominated fandom in the western world is not helping to promote a unified environment where everyone can feel safe in enjoying the medium that we've come to congregate around here on Crunchyroll. In a sense, it is almost condescending and attacking, because we should not be focusing just on this thread, but rather this site, to be a safe place for women, people of color--EVERYONE.
1214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nowhere
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
Me calling out the inherent and blatant heterosexism and racism I've seen in the forums is not discriminatory. White men are welcome. However you're behavior on this forum is a true testament for why safe-spaces are needed. Some of us would like to be able to speak OUR minds without having to assimilate, without being harassed, and without white people contorting a message to be all about them again (i.e. white tears). I also declared that men, regardless of their ethnicity/color, should not hijack this thread and turn it into an opportunity to spout hateful comments and complain about how hard it is to be a man and how women are sexist for calling them sexist.

The more you post messages that are essentially telling me to "F*** my safe space!," the more you make yourself look silly and intolerant.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago
Has anyone suggested that they feel endangered by posting here? I know sometimes I feel threatened that my IQ drop a few points because of these forums, but never my life.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 19 days ago

belladonnagrrl wrote:

Me calling out the inherent and blatant heterosexism and racism I've seen in the forums is not discriminatory. White men are welcome. However you're behavior on this forum is a true testament for why safe-spaces are needed. Some of us would like to be able to speak OUR minds without having to assimilate, without being harassed, and without white people contorting a message to be all about them again (i.e. white tears). I also declared that men, regardless of their ethnicity/color, should not hijack this thread and turn it into an opportunity to spout hateful comments and complain about how hard it is to be a man and how women are sexist for calling them sexist.

The more you post messages that are essentially telling me to "F*** my safe space!," the more you make yourself look silly and intolerant.


Do you realize that is solely based on your opinions and perceptions and is not shared by everyone (dare I say most people)?

Edit: It also sounds like you wish to voice your opinions but not have anyone else disagree with you. Might I suggest writing yourself letters, if that's the case?
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
I think that the anime section of this forum shouldn't be considered "white male dominated". I think it is generally dominated by people whos race, gender or sexual orientation are irrelevant. No matter who you are, there will be a place for you to talk about anime here. However, the anime section is generally not a great place to talk about the issues facing minorities or trans people. Not because the people here aren't accepting, but because it generally isn't relevant (with some exceptions). There is very rarely any reason why who you are (as opposed to the opinions you hold) should matter in a forum like Crunchy. Because of that, I feel that the assertion that anyone needs a safe space here, or that this is a white male dominated space is just way off base

As Nicole said, anime lovers (and nerds in general) are generally "marginalized" as is. Maybe because of that, in my experience, it seems that we are accepting to anyone who shares the same passions we do. If you want to talk about anime or manga or video games, I think most of us would be happy to, no matter who you are. The issue comes when you start trying to turn a place designed to be a safe space for nerds into a safe space for whatever minority you are a part of. As nerds, we don't care who you are, so don't try to take our spaces.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.