First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Discussion thread in an attempt to have Safer Spaces in Nerdom
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

redokami wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
[[post being responded to has been removed for condescending and disrespectful tone.]


I totally agree with you, she should have thought about it before posting, considering what is going on and how safe spaces are thoroughly being mocked -and for good reason imo-


I dunno what you were responding to but it likely pointed out how the OP is a racist and a sexist. Stop badmouthing white people and stop badmouthing males. Stop excluding people based on sex and skin color. Stop hating.
18696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

Emtro wrote:


redokami wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
[[post being responded to has been removed for condescending and disrespectful tone.]


I totally agree with you, she should have thought about it before posting, considering what is going on and how safe spaces are thoroughly being mocked -and for good reason imo-


I dunno what you were responding to but it likely pointed out how the OP is a racist and a sexist. Stop badmouthing white people and stop badmouthing males. Stop excluding people based on sex and skin color. Stop hating.


what? im not badmouthing whites, males, etc. what are you going on about
16843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
I don't know if I'm welcome here, being as I'm not keen on safe-spaces, but then again I've never been in one. I hear safe-spaces have cookies, so maybe that's one good thing. Except, this is an online forum. No cookies.

I mean, I just found this thread when I clicked on the Forums link and I just got curious. I'll probably just f**k right off after answering the OP's questions.


belladonnagrrl wrote:
....

....

Let's start light: What is your favorite anime and why? or How are you feeling today? How are you taking care of yourselves in these hard times?

Question 1&2
That's a tough one. I like a lot of anime. The last one I saw was Muromi-san; it was a fun little show, with some interesting plot details touching upon ancient history & recent history, all stuff for the show to basically play around with.
I guess the first one that frequently comes to mind is Wolf's Rain. I haven't seen that in over ten years, but it was a lovely anime, and I especially recall the ending.

Question 3
I'm feeling okay, although today's almost over with. It's a day like any other for me. I'm neither jovial nor miserable. Oh wait; actually, I feel accomplished because I released a new MikuMikuDance video. It was one I was nervous about releasing, but I went through with it anyway.

Question 4
Well, since I live in a small town, I'm doing pretty good. I'd hate to live in a big city; although dreams can come true in big cities, it's very competitive. Plus, so far, crazy sh!t's happening in the big cities throughout the country. Anybody living in big cities ought to stay safe. Maybe just forget all the BS happening out there and enjoy some animu on Crunchyroll.
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

Dogempire wrote:


runec wrote:

Given the eroding state of GD over the course of this election cycle I can easily understand where the op would get that impression of CR.

I would also say that anyone who does not understand the idea of a safe space ( and I mean an actual one, not what the alt right imagines them to be ) has lived a fortunate life. There is nothing wrong with that. However, there is something wrong with passing judgement on the not so fortunate from your position. Your life is not is everyone else's and not everyone else is you. Demanding they be like you or feel the same way you do is contributing to the problem you're opining against.

Safe spaces aren't about you. If women want a safe space from men or minorities want a safe space from white people or LGBT want a safe space from hetero people that is not a personal insult against you just because you happen to be male, white or straight. And you think that certainly you have never done anything to a woman, minority or LGBT person. It's not about you as an individual. So don't take it as a slight against you as an individual.

If someone has spent their entire life being barked at and bitten by dogs you could surely understand why they wouldn't want to be around dogs all the time. And why they wouldn't appreciate you bringing a dog to their dog free park and saying "Hey, MY dog isn't like that. Really!".

On the other hand, if safe spaces upset you because you feel like you are being excluded from a special club or that you have the right to be there regardless? Well then get the fark over yourself. Your attitude is part of the problem to begin with.

TL;DR: It's not about you.



Considering that we're trying to end racism, sexism, and homophobia, I'm pretty sure it's a step in the wrong direction to start segregating everyone into separate groups.



I'm 100% with Runec on this. Being around assholes 24/7 who harass you all day is not going to help defend against segregation, it's going to breed more resentment. Honestly, people who need a place to breathe need a place to breathe because they are regularly dealing with crap from others, everyone does it anyways. It's why people retreat to their homes, to their friend groups, to their churches, to their clubs, those are safe spaces. They're places where we can feel accepted and just be left the fuck alone, to rest with people we trust to respect us. If you think safe spaces are a bad thing, unless you are literally tied to a live gorilla 24/7, you're an honest to god hypocrite. So stop whining about people wanting to gather with like-minded individuals, just because you go to church doesn't mean you'll stick every atheist you meet on a pike the next day, seriously. Are there people who do not venture outside of their hometown, out of their church, out of their small web of friends, or even their homes? Yes. Can those people develop narrowminded views? Yes. But you know what's a great way to make them never want to try and see from your side of things? Complaining about them having the places and people they call family and friends and home.

Safe spaces aren't daycares they're rest stops, without the ones in your life you'd go crazy too. Jesus people whine about how you can't fucking speak your mind anywhere and then harass anyone who tries to find a place to do just that. Sometimes you're not looking for a life changing view, you don't want a 500 reply thread or an 80 minute series of youtube videos from some random crusty guy with a green screen who thinks 15 minutes in the deep web and googling conspiracy theories makes you know the secrets of the universe, people don't have the energy to waste on that. No human has the energy to waste on that, it doesn't make you weak it just means you have a damn limit. Sometimes you just want to rant, be listened to, and be in a space where what you say is just simply rhetorical and be around people who can easily relate to your experiences. Seriously grow up, get off your holier than thou high horse of yours, and mind your own business, it costs $0 and 0 cents. I truly dislike being so heavy handed and aggressive, but honestly. (this was not just to you Dogempire, I dont have time to spend on a forum debate, but I'm just tired of this)
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

redokami wrote:

what? im not badmouthing whites, males, etc. what are you going on about


I apologize for the ambiguity of my word order. Those comments were directed at the OP. The first sentence was a response to your post, the rest were for the OP.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

redokami wrote:


what do you have against me


Nothing, but that's the point, isn't it?
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

belladonnagrrl wrote:

I would educate you, but that would require a history lesson, a lecture on privilege, and for you to have at least an once of empathy.


a lecture on privilege huh...please enlighten

my favorite anime is Gintama
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

uncletim wrote:

it's sometimes hard to tell between yuri and yuri bait or Shoujo Ai such as Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana (both great show)


They are lovely shows, Sasameki Koto is definitely one of my all time favorites, but actually, Shoujo Ai and Yuri aren't so solidly distinct as you'd think. Yuri and Shoujo Ai in the Yuri culture in japan pretty much fall under the same umbrella of "Yuri". Wikipedia will tell you that Yuri is distinctly more sexual in nature, but the terms are very loosely used and rarely distinguished between the two, Yuri is by far the most used term to describe both in the industry. So Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana will both be called Yuri, they may focus on romance, and if you wish you can call it Shoujo Ai for that, but the authors and the Japanese circles will consider them both "Yuri" and as much so as something like Yuri Kuma Arashi. I hope that makes sense ^.^
666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

ClothStatue wrote:

Jesus people whine about how you can't fucking speak your mind anywhere and then harass anyone who tries to find a place to do just that.

^
960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
I don't feel welcome here
3169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In a Yaoi Fanfic
Online
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

ClothStatue wrote:

I'm 100% with Runec on this. Being around assholes 24/7 who harass you all day is not going to help defend against segregation, it's going to breed more resentment. Honestly, people who need a place to breathe need a place to breathe because they are regularly dealing with crap from others, everyone does it anyways. It's why people retreat to their homes, to their friend groups, to their churches, to their clubs, those are safe spaces. They're places where we can feel accepted and just be left the fuck alone, to rest with people we trust to respect us. If you think safe spaces are a bad thing, unless you are literally tied to a live gorilla 24/7, you're an honest to god hypocrite. So stop whining about people wanting to gather with like-minded individuals, just because you go to church doesn't mean you'll stick every atheist you meet on a pike the next day, seriously. Are there people who do not venture outside of their hometown, out of their church, out of their small web of friends, or even their homes? Yes. Can those people develop narrowminded views? Yes. But you know what's a great way to make them never want to try and see from your side of things? Complaining about them having the places and people they call family and friends and home.

Safe spaces aren't daycares they're rest stops, without the ones in your life you'd go crazy too. Jesus people whine about how you can't fucking speak your mind anywhere and then harass anyone who tries to find a place to do just that. Sometimes you're not looking for a life changing view, you don't want a 500 reply thread or an 80 minute series of youtube videos from some random crusty guy with a green screen who thinks 15 minutes in the deep web and googling conspiracy theories makes you know the secrets of the universe, people don't have the energy to waste on that. No human has the energy to waste on that, it doesn't make you weak it just means you have a damn limit. Sometimes you just want to rant, be listened to, and be in a space where what you say is just simply rhetorical and be around people who can easily relate to your experiences. Seriously grow up, get off your holier than thou high horse of yours, and mind your own business, it costs $0 and 0 cents. I truly dislike being so heavy handed and aggressive, but honestly. (this was not just to you Dogempire, I dont have time to spend on a forum debate, but I'm just tired of this)


I think you're broadening the definition of safe space too much, and you really shouldn't be heavy handed because you completely misinterpreted what I was talking about. Not only that but you broadened the definition far too much.

I'm not talking about safe spaces in the scheme of a quiet room in your home or a club meeting, I don't consider those safe spaces.

By safe spaces I mean when you deliberately go out of your way to close off a room or area and make it say "People of color only, no whites allowed." That's what I mean by safe spaces.

Nobody in their right mind would want to be on full blast from people 24/7, because if you were it would be impossible to sleep.
runec 
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

Dogempire wrote:
Considering that we're trying to end racism, sexism, and homophobia, I'm pretty sure it's a step in the wrong direction to start segregating everyone into separate groups.



Kavalion wrote:
I apologize if this is unfairly challenging your opinion, but didn't we have a lot of safe spaces once upon a time? You know, the whole "dog free park" kind of thing you described, but applying to types of people. Was it really alright?


How in the world did we get from "safe space" to segregation? No one pushing for segregation. They just want some place they can go now and then to get away from all the shit they have to put up with. With people that understand and have had similar experiences. As Judar just said, we ALL have safe spaces whether we officially call them that or not. Hell, there are many "safe spaces" operating in an official capacity day in and day out for far less onerous reasons.

For point number one: Why is the onus of ending racism, sexism and homophobia on the victims of those things rather than the propagators? If you stepped onto a bus and there was someone screaming "Get off the bus, nigger!" at a black woman would you step in and tell the person yelling to fuck off? Or would you go over to the black woman and ask her why she isn't doing enough to stop racism?

For point two: I'm not sure how you tied those two together. There's a pretty clear difference between state enforced racial segregation at behest of the ruling people and the people traditionally being punished by it wanting some place they can go now and then to get away from the historical echos of that kind of treatment.



10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

pansyforyourthoughts wrote:


ClothStatue wrote:

Jesus people whine about how you can't fucking speak your mind anywhere and then harass anyone who tries to find a place to do just that.

^


Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

It's actually the opposite. See, we don't care what someone says, we're irritated that a thread in a forum can be created that's so obviously sexist and racist, but no one is allowed to point that out, because the OP invoked the mighty "safe space." So, it isn't that they spoke THEIR mind, but that no one else is allowed to speak theirs.

And, honestly, the reason I'm entirely against this whole concept isn't because of what it is intended to be, but what it actually is. The reality is that this is people running away from anything they find offensive, and that's not psychological health.
The healthy thing would be actually listening, using critical thinking, and coming to a conclusion. In fact it's okay if that conclusion is that the other person is a racist asshole. It's okay. In fact, that's what people SHOULD do when facing stupid people. In your mind, you SHOULD say, "That person is a bigot, and I'm awesome. What they say doesn't matter."

What you should not do is curl up into a little ball, stick your fingers into your ears and say, "Lalalala!"
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

Dogempire wrote:

I think you're broadening the definition of safe space too much, and you really shouldn't be heavy handed because you completely misinterpreted what I was talking about. Not only that but you broadened the definition far too much.

I'm not talking about safe spaces in the scheme of a quiet room in your home or a club meeting, I don't consider those safe spaces.

By safe spaces I mean when you deliberately go out of your way to close off a room or area and make it say "People of color only, no whites allowed." That's what I mean by safe spaces.

Nobody in their right mind would want to be on full blast from people 24/7, because if you were it would be impossible to sleep.


No you literally can do that. Can you do it legally? No, if you happened to be some pasty white boy who wants to walk into a black only student association they won't stop you, but you're gonna look like an ass, because you're invading their safe space for the sake of doing so. Because whether you like it or not, race is a social construct that has shaped these people's lives and our cultures, so naturally they deal with different experiences that someone who is a pasty white boy and they want to talk about those experiences with people they know that will see things closer to their view of things. It would be nice, if we all had the same experiences and we all lived happily ever after, but save those debates for the classroom.
22126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

HolyDrumstick wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

It's actually the opposite. See, we don't care what someone says, we're irritated that a thread in a forum can be created that's so obviously sexist and racist, but no one is allowed to point that out, because the OP invoked the mighty "safe space." So, it isn't that they spoke THEIR mind, but that no one else is allowed to speak theirs.

And, honestly, the reason I'm entirely against this whole concept isn't because of what it is intended to be, but what it actually is. The reality is that this is people running away from anything they find offensive, and that's not psychological health.
The healthy thing would be actually listening, using critical thinking, and coming to a conclusion. In fact it's okay if that conclusion is that the other person is a racist asshole. It's okay. In fact, that's what people SHOULD do when facing stupid people. In your mind, you SHOULD say, "That person is a bigot, and I'm awesome. What they say doesn't matter."

What you should not do is curl up into a little ball, stick your fingers into your ears and say, "Lalalala!"


You have missed the entire point of what I'm saying. Particularly the "mind your own business" part. Argue it later. If you truly wish to convince anyone of anything, invading the places they rest is the best way to make sure that never ever happens.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.