First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
A Lot of Really Interesting Perspectives. A Lot of It Really Makes Sense.
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago
This link is to Prager U's web site. You'll find all kinds of very interesting ideas discussed, here. Everything from race issues, gun control issues, economic issues, political issues, government policy, family, etc., etc., etc. are discussed in short videos.

https://www.prageru.com/

I was looking at the closed thread, "Safer Spaces in Nerdom," when I came across AnimeAddictANN69's link to a video explaining why "Safe Spaces" don't teach character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyEbvehRPhY

I was expecting a spoof or a bit of comedy. Instead, I saw a very well thought out talk, about "Safe Spaces."

You know how Youtube works. You can't just watch one video. I clicked on successive links, and found a ton if short and very interesting talks given from a perspective that isn't SJW or PC, or Progressive Liberal.

In short, these are some well thought out arguments against some ideas that, so far, have not worked. It is well worth a look.

Some of their ideas, I think, are radical. Especially the ones about race. Have a look for yourselves. If you listen with an open mind, you might find yourself thinking very seriously about why our problems don't seem to be improving, despite decades of effort.
Humms 
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago
Yeah but if I wanted to make a safe space to discuss about cutting myself, we can get right into the details. What we would use, how often, hell throw some pictures up

Or are you going to discriminate? We are depressed, are you going to say we can't have this discussion because of depression? How dare you, depression is a serious illness.

I'd like to think I can discuss just about anything and put a safe space slogan right on the header.

I might just see what I can do for fun, because why not. Let's put it to the test.
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

Humms wrote:

Yeah but if I wanted to make a safe space to discuss about cutting myself, we can get right into the details. What we would use, how often, hell throw some pictures up

Or are you going to discriminate? We are depressed, are you going to say we can't have this discussion because of depression? How dare you, depression is a serious illness.

I'd like to think I can discuss just about anything and put a safe space slogan right on the header.

I might just see what I can do for fun, because why not. Let's put it to the test.


You are off topic.

This thread is NOT about safe spaces.

This topic is about many, many points of views of many many topics, that are not Progressive Liberal points of view.

EDIT:

Don't try to hyjack my thread and start bullshit.

There are many topics discussed, and Safe Space was only one of those. I want to focus on the many, many points of views. discussed on that web site.

EDIT:

Go to the site. Listen carefully to one of the videos. Post a link to it, and be very constructive, as you post your views about what you heard.

EDIT:

Not the Safe Space one, that's already been discussed on other threads.
Humms 
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:


Humms wrote:

Yeah but if I wanted to make a safe space to discuss about cutting myself, we can get right into the details. What we would use, how often, hell throw some pictures up

Or are you going to discriminate? We are depressed, are you going to say we can't have this discussion because of depression? How dare you, depression is a serious illness.

I'd like to think I can discuss just about anything and put a safe space slogan right on the header.

I might just see what I can do for fun, because why not. Let's put it to the test.


You are off topic.

This thread is NOT about safe spaces.

This topic is about many, many points of views of many many topics, that are not Progressive Liberal points of view.

EDIT:

Don't try to hyjack my thread and start bullshit.

There are many topics discussed, and Safe Space was only one of those. I want to focus on the many, many points of views. discussed on that web site.

EDIT:

Go to the site. Listen carefully to one of the videos. Post a link to it, and be very constructive, as you post your views about what you heard.

EDIT:

Not the Safe Space one, that's already been discussed on other threads.


But I like my safe space


Oh and just to humor myself I watched one video. Saying in 2025 we will experience a shortage of water with 60 % of land mass experiencing some kind of drought . So let's just invade Isreal! Oh ok.

So to say we will have a shortage of water is Bullshit. We sure seem to keep a good supply of plastic bottles floating around in the ocean, and I would love to see how they deal with this, just like global warming and climate change right? Like how people stop saying global warming now and just say climate change, because it's on a larger scale, and it sounds like serious business.

So good perspective when this is just speculation, which is most if not all of our first world problems.

3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago
Lol, isn't Prager U that christian fundie "university" that makes all those idiotic videos against gay marriage?
Also, may I point out that this is blatantly not a thread intended for discussion, but purely to push an agenda? Did you even ask or prompt a single question?
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 24 days ago

Humms wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


Humms wrote:

Yeah but if I wanted to make a safe space to discuss about cutting myself, we can get right into the details. What we would use, how often, hell throw some pictures up

Or are you going to discriminate? We are depressed, are you going to say we can't have this discussion because of depression? How dare you, depression is a serious illness.

I'd like to think I can discuss just about anything and put a safe space slogan right on the header.

I might just see what I can do for fun, because why not. Let's put it to the test.


You are off topic.

This thread is NOT about safe spaces.

This topic is about many, many points of views of many many topics, that are not Progressive Liberal points of view.

EDIT:

Don't try to hyjack my thread and start bullshit.

There are many topics discussed, and Safe Space was only one of those. I want to focus on the many, many points of views. discussed on that web site.

EDIT:

Go to the site. Listen carefully to one of the videos. Post a link to it, and be very constructive, as you post your views about what you heard.

EDIT:

Not the Safe Space one, that's already been discussed on other threads.


But I like my safe space


Oh and just to humor myself I watched one video. Saying in 2025 we will experience a shortage of water with 60 % of land mass experiencing some kind of drought . So let's just invade Isreal! Oh ok.

So to say we will have a shortage of water is Bullshit. We sure seem to keep a good supply of plastic bottles floating around in the ocean, and I would love to see how they deal with this, just like global warming and climate change right? Like how people stop saying global warming now and just say climate change, because it's on a larger scale, and it sounds like serious business.

So good perspective when this is just speculation, which is most if not all of our first world problems.



Scientists say we've already passed the 'tipping point,' and anything we do now is futile.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3812087/Global-warming-milestone-scientists-warn-Earth-passed-carbon-tipping-point-good.html

They say that by 2050, all of the polar caps will have melted and the sea levels will be so high, that many cities and countries at sea level will be thirty feet below water.

We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.

If it happens, then Global Warming was real, and the big money corporations and their lobbyists lied to the world. If none of it happens, then Global Warming will be revealed to be the biggest multi government hoax ever perpetrated in the history of the entire world.

EDIT:

However, while these guys believe that climate change is real, they are saying that it's not happening as fast as other scientists think it's happening.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/environmental-science/climate-change-whats-so-alarming

They contend that the scientists saying it's already too late ("You're already climate changed." Kenshiro style), are "alarmists" trying to get everyone to pay attention to the problem.

I think, in this case, that the guy is one of the left over climate change deniers who realized that they can't refute the science, and are finding another way to slow any progress towards reducing the carbon output of the world, because it's what big businesses and certain governments want.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

DeadlyOats
They say that by 2050, all of the polar caps will have melted and the sea levels will be so high, that many cities and countries at sea level will be thirty feet below water.

We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.

If it happens, then Global Warming was real, and the big money corporations and their lobbyists lied to the world. If none of it happens, then Global Warming will be revealed to be the biggest multi government hoax ever perpetrated in the history of the entire world.


And if it proves to have been correct?
62 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The Grand Line
Offline
Posted 25 days ago
PragerU is pretty much notorious for being part of the religious right and while I agree it's nice to see viewpoints beyond the social justice spectrum I don't think that turning to regressive ideas from the other side is going to help here...
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

Syndicaidramon wrote:

Lol, isn't Prager U that christian fundie "university" that makes all those idiotic videos against gay marriage?
Also, may I point out that this is blatantly not a thread intended for discussion, but purely to push an agenda? Did you even ask a single question?


No, it is not. It is founded by a conservative non-orthodox Jew. His name is Dennis Prager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Prager

You can say that if you want, but where is your proof that I'm just pushing an agenda? Is your assertion based on a notion that it's something that you disagree with? Then is your 'well reasoned' argument to ridicule and belittle another group of people, because that group of people disagrees with your point of view?

Listen to this guy to understand why your argument fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

Syndicaidramon wrote:


DeadlyOats
They say that by 2050, all of the polar caps will have melted and the sea levels will be so high, that many cities and countries at sea level will be thirty feet below water.

We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.

If it happens, then Global Warming was real, and the big money corporations and their lobbyists lied to the world. If none of it happens, then Global Warming will be revealed to be the biggest multi government hoax ever perpetrated in the history of the entire world.


And if it proves to have been correct?


I don't know yet.


We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:
You can say that if you want, but where is your proof that I'm just pushing an agenda? Is your assertion based on a notion that it's something that you disagree with? Then is your 'well reasoned' argument to ridicule and belittle another group of people, because that group of people disagrees with your point of view?

Listen to this guy to understand why your argument fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs


It's pretty obvious considering that the entire OP can be boiled down to "here's a bunch of links to this religious/political thinktank".
And no, it's not based on the notion that it's something I disagree with. Although I will certainly ridicule that which I find to be ridiculous -- which includes thinktanks that promotes theism, "traditional marriage only" points of views and conservativism in general -- it has nothing to do with my assessment in regards to the purpose of this thread, nor will I base my argument on ridicule or the fact that I disagree with it.

As for what that guy says, I agree with him all the way, and I have been pretty much always (always being the last two-three years).
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


DeadlyOats
They say that by 2050, all of the polar caps will have melted and the sea levels will be so high, that many cities and countries at sea level will be thirty feet below water.

We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.

If it happens, then Global Warming was real, and the big money corporations and their lobbyists lied to the world. If none of it happens, then Global Warming will be revealed to be the biggest multi government hoax ever perpetrated in the history of the entire world.


And if it proves to have been correct?


I don't know yet.


Tell me, are you familiar with pascal's wager?
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

Syndicaidramon wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:
You can say that if you want, but where is your proof that I'm just pushing an agenda? Is your assertion based on a notion that it's something that you disagree with? Then is your 'well reasoned' argument to ridicule and belittle another group of people, because that group of people disagrees with your point of view?

Listen to this guy to understand why your argument fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs


It's pretty obvious considering that the entire OP can be boiled down to "here's a bunch of links to this religious/political thinktank".
And no, it's not based on the notion that it's something I disagree with.
Although I will certainly ridicule that which I find to be ridiculous -- which includes thinktanks that promotes theism, "traditional marriage only" points of views and conservativism in general -- it has nothing to do with my assessment in regards to the purpose of this thread, nor will I base my argument on ridicule or the fact that I disagree with it.

As for what that guy says, I agree with him all the way, and I have been pretty much always (always being the last two-three years).


I took a closer look at the site. There is nothing in there that says non-traditional marriage is wrong. You made that up. You assumed that something like that was in there.

The purpose of my thread was to look at ideas that are different from what Progressive Liberals think. I stated that very clearly in my opening thread. I'm not trying to do anything sneaky. But hear you are reporting my thread (somebody reported it), and here you are ridiculing a set of ideas that are contrary to yours, because they are conservative - while simultaneously saying that you are not basing your arguments purely based on ridiculing conservative ideas.
37423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 25 days ago

Syndicaidramon wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


DeadlyOats
They say that by 2050, all of the polar caps will have melted and the sea levels will be so high, that many cities and countries at sea level will be thirty feet below water.

We don't have to wait 34 years to see if that's true. If it's true, we'll start seeing the signs within five years, as popular beaches shrink and beach side roads are closed do to the rising ocean levels.

If it happens, then Global Warming was real, and the big money corporations and their lobbyists lied to the world. If none of it happens, then Global Warming will be revealed to be the biggest multi government hoax ever perpetrated in the history of the entire world.


And if it proves to have been correct?


I don't know yet.


Tell me, are you familiar with pascal's wager?


I misread your question.

I thought you were asking me if it has already been proved to be correct, "And it's proved to have been correct."

That's what I thought I read, and that's why I answered the way I did.

I actually think global warming is real. I see the satellite images of the ice caps shriniking, and I see the news of polar bears drowning, and big clouds of methane hissing out of the thawing trundra, and bubbling out of the thawing frozen lakes in the tundra.

But many people still don't believe it. People who work in the fossil fuel industry do not believe it.

The scientists say it's already too late. Nothing we do from here on out will matter. They say we have about 30 years for all of the ice caps to be gone, and sea levels to rise (I forget how many meters) enough to displace entire countries.

WHEN, not IF it turns out to be true, we will face food, fresh water, shortages. Billions of people will be displaced from their countries and cities, and there will be an immigration crisis unlike anything the world has ever seen. Wars will likely start to fight for more water and farmland.

It's going to be bad in 2050.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:

I took a closer look at the site. There is nothing in there that says non-traditional marriage is wrong. You made that up. You assumed that something like that was in there.

The purpose of my thread was to look at ideas that are different from what Progressive Liberals think. I stated that very clearly in my opening thread. I'm not trying to do anything sneaky. But hear you are reporting my thread (somebody reported it), and here you are ridiculing a set of ideas that are contrary to yours, because they are conservative - while simultaneously saying that you are not basing your arguments purely based on ridiculing conservative ideas.


I did not just assume that Prager was against gay marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTE9zWaQc_Y
Although I WAS wrong about PragerU having made anti-gay marriage videos. I was confusing them for another conservative think tank.

And I'm not ridiculing these ideas BECAUSE they are conservative. I ridicule them because they are stupid, and also happen to be conservative. The reason I say I will ridicule ideas promoting conservativism is because conservativism is generally stupid. That does not however mean that I will ridicule it outright simply for being conservative in nature or that I will not consider its notions to be valid.
It's just that generally, that tends to not be the case.

So indeed, I could've phrased myself better, but there it is anyway...

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.