First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
All Inclusive semi-meta discussion thread in an attempt to have safer discussion of Nerdom
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:



There is no rights issue happening here. All of you crying about "freedom of speech" are wrong, seeing as that freedom of speech means that the government cannot censor you speaking publicly. If you honestly believe that manners being enforced in a private setting are a violation of freedom of speech you need to go to a safe space yourself, seeing as they are found on university campuses I am sure they will be able to point you to one of the classes that will give you the information you apparently lack.




When someone's 'percieved' notion of 'manners' is used as a tool to silence opposing views, yes, it is censorship. Who decides what exactly is rude and what is not?

Also, lots of stupid stuff is found on the campuses of universities, "Safe space" is just a drop in the PC bucket. Universities use many different means to silence non-conforming viewpoints.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:
There is no rights issue happening here. All of you crying about "freedom of speech" are wrong, seeing as that freedom of speech means that the government cannot censor you speaking publicly. If you honestly believe that manners being enforced in a private setting are a violation of freedom of speech you need to go to a safe space yourself, seeing as they are found on university campuses I am sure they will be able to point you to one of the classes that will give you the information you apparently lack.


It isn't about manners. It's about public institutions providing echo chambers of terrible, radical beliefs.

But, I honestly don't feel like discussing this anymore.

My smaller measures to unfuck these forums have fallen through, so I have work to do now.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
Where exactly is any of this stuff actually happening in real life? I think I'm just going to ignore all of it, because I have no idea what the fuck you guys are on about.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 20 days ago

HolyDrumstick wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:
There is no rights issue happening here. All of you crying about "freedom of speech" are wrong, seeing as that freedom of speech means that the government cannot censor you speaking publicly. If you honestly believe that manners being enforced in a private setting are a violation of freedom of speech you need to go to a safe space yourself, seeing as they are found on university campuses I am sure they will be able to point you to one of the classes that will give you the information you apparently lack.


It isn't about manners. It's about public institutions providing echo chambers of terrible, radical beliefs.

But, I honestly don't feel like discussing this anymore.

My smaller measures to unfuck these forums have fallen through, so I have work to do now.


Yes it is about manners. You can twist the truth all you want and use a few examples of misuse to define the entire concept all you want, the people forming informed opinions are never going to buy it. And your recently announced departure gives me the idea that you are aware of this as well.

Good riddance.
1150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


Radraymond01 wrote:

I'm trying to say that they should try to protect the same rights that the government protects, even if it's a private institution. Though this will never happen, since it hurts them in the pocket.


No. In any formal setting, be it a school a workplace or anything similar, rules need to be there and rules related to conduct nee to be enforced. That's the way it has always been and the way it always will be. besides, they are protecting your rights to spread whatever vitriol you may want. The existence of these spaces implies that the behaviour they discourage is allowed everywhere except there. If you want to attack the kind of people who go to safe spaces, it's actually better for you that they exist seeing as if they didn't such actions would be banned campus-wide. So what the fuck is the problem here?


The problem is people shielding themselves for ideas, and nothing else, and if you don't see this as an issue, fine(though I think something is wrong with you). We're arguing with the premise of the idea that there should be groups on campuses to allow yourself to not think. Also, "vitriol"? Do you think we're all hate filled bigots trying to hurt you because we want to? You also have this false idea that free-speech is allowed on other parts of the campus, which is untrue in many situations, see "free-speech zones".
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 20 days ago

kinga750 wrote:

Where exactly is any of this stuff actually happening in real life? I think I'm just going to ignore all of it, because I have no idea what the fuck you guys are on about.


What safe spaces? They're on a lot of university campuses dude. I gave a pretty accurate definition earlier if you need to catch up on the subject.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


kinga750 wrote:

Where exactly is any of this stuff actually happening in real life? I think I'm just going to ignore all of it, because I have no idea what the fuck you guys are on about.


What safe spaces? They're on a lot of university campuses dude. I gave a pretty accurate definition earlier if you need to catch up on the subject.


No, I don't think I do. I don't know much about university culture or whatever, but I'm guessing most of this drama will sort itself out once you have more important things to worry about.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 20 days ago , edited 20 days ago

Radraymond01 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Radraymond01 wrote:

I'm trying to say that they should try to protect the same rights that the government protects, even if it's a private institution. Though this will never happen, since it hurts them in the pocket.


No. In any formal setting, be it a school a workplace or anything similar, rules need to be there and rules related to conduct nee to be enforced. That's the way it has always been and the way it always will be. besides, they are protecting your rights to spread whatever vitriol you may want. The existence of these spaces implies that the behaviour they discourage is allowed everywhere except there. If you want to attack the kind of people who go to safe spaces, it's actually better for you that they exist seeing as if they didn't such actions would be banned campus-wide. So what the fuck is the problem here?


The problem is people shielding themselves for ideas, and nothing else, and if you don't see this as an issue, fine(though I think something is wrong with you). We're arguing with the premise of the idea that there should be groups on campuses to allow yourself to not think. Also, "vitriol"? Do you think we're all hate filled bigots trying to hurt you because we want to? You also have this false idea that free-speech is allowed on other parts of the campus, which is untrue in many situations, see "free-speech zones".


Shielding from ideas has nothing to do with it. These spaces are for people who want to get away from hostility they may face. That isn't not thinking, that's something everybody does in such a situation.

Also the vitriol thing was a hypothetical scenario. Are you really upset about me talking about a "what if?"? I said: "whatever vitriol you may want" Don't insult others for supposedly being fragile when you get offended so easily yourself.
Posted 20 days ago
Huh more PC bullshit. This is the safe reason humanity has not been able to go to other planets.

1150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


Radraymond01 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Radraymond01 wrote:

I'm trying to say that they should try to protect the same rights that the government protects, even if it's a private institution. Though this will never happen, since it hurts them in the pocket.


No. In any formal setting, be it a school a workplace or anything similar, rules need to be there and rules related to conduct nee to be enforced. That's the way it has always been and the way it always will be. besides, they are protecting your rights to spread whatever vitriol you may want. The existence of these spaces implies that the behaviour they discourage is allowed everywhere except there. If you want to attack the kind of people who go to safe spaces, it's actually better for you that they exist seeing as if they didn't such actions would be banned campus-wide. So what the fuck is the problem here?


The problem is people shielding themselves for ideas, and nothing else, and if you don't see this as an issue, fine(though I think something is wrong with you). We're arguing with the premise of the idea that there should be groups on campuses to allow yourself to not think. Also, "vitriol"? Do you think we're all hate filled bigots trying to hurt you because we want to? You also have this false idea that free-speech is allowed on other parts of the campus, which is untrue in many situations, see "free-speech zones".


Shielding from ideas has nothing to do with it. These spaces are for people who want to get away from hostility they may face. That isn't not thinking, that's something everybody does in such a situation.

Also the vitriol thing was a hypothetical Are you really upset about me talking about a "what if?"? Don't insult others for supposedly being fragile when you get offended so easily yourself.

"hostility" = unfriendliness
Do you see how I can apply this to ideas?
Fuck this, I'm done. I'm getting way too mad trying to sharpen your dull rock.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 20 days ago , edited 20 days ago

Radraymond01 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Shielding from ideas has nothing to do with it. These spaces are for people who want to get away from hostility they may face. That isn't not thinking, that's something everybody does in such a situation.

Also the vitriol thing was a hypothetical Are you really upset about me talking about a "what if?"? Don't insult others for supposedly being fragile when you get offended so easily yourself.

"hostility" = unfriendliness
Do you see how I can apply this to ideas?
Fuck this, I'm done. I'm getting way too mad trying to sharpen your dull rock.


HA! So you refuse to listen to what I am saying? The best part is you probably don't even see the irony.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
While I often disagree with certain implementations of safe spaces, this reaction to just the mere idea (as opposed to the implementation) is ridiculous. The idea is not and never has been a problem. Like many others have stated, everyone has safe spaces and for most of us, there are times when we just want to unwind or vent and not have people trying to argue with every little thing we say. That is perfectly normal. This kneejerk reaction seems to me like just a bunch of people getting triggered because they heard a word that they associate with "PC culture".

I swear, I feel more and more each day that the anti-SJW/progressive movement is just slowly becoming everything they hate.
1458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Virginia, USA
Online
Posted 20 days ago

kinga750 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


kinga750 wrote:

Where exactly is any of this stuff actually happening in real life? I think I'm just going to ignore all of it, because I have no idea what the fuck you guys are on about.


What safe spaces? They're on a lot of university campuses dude. I gave a pretty accurate definition earlier if you need to catch up on the subject.


No, I don't think I do. I don't know much about university culture or whatever, but I'm guessing most of this drama will sort itself out once you have more important things to worry about.


It's really not that big of a deal. People are just loud whiners and then loud whiners loud whine at other loud whiners.
4714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 20 days ago

sundin13 wrote:

I swear, I feel more and more each day that the anti-SJW/progressive movement is just slowly becoming everything they hate.


You and me both. Horseshoe theory seems to be becoming less and less of a theory.
1458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Virginia, USA
Online
Posted 20 days ago
Also you have the crowd that thinks universities indoctrinate people. Typically, they also have never been to a university either.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.