Post Reply Hunters are allegedly the greatest contributors to wildlife conservation
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
https://georgesoutdoornews.bangordailynews.com/2016/11/16/conservation/3348/

It comes from a somewhat biased source, but it nonetheless offers an interesting perspective.
10646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 22 days ago
I'd heard things like this before.
Emtro 
1563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:

https://georgesoutdoornews.bangordailynews.com/2016/11/16/conservation/3348/

It comes from a somewhat biased source, but it nonetheless offers an interesting perspective.


Um, I'm a little surprised you didn't know this. If hunters didn't hunt, our cities would be overrun with rodents and wildlife and animal in the wild would die off from food shortages. That's why it's called game and wildlife management. I believe it is world of has several night-elf story lines that parallel the ecosystem balancing hunters play in this.

I think it was Everquest 2 that has an area that has storyline parallel to this as well.
675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
Yeah, hunters and the organizations behind hunting licenses and hunting grounds are integral in many areas to conservation efforts and maintaining the local wildlife. It makes sense, especially for hunters whose livelihoods come from it, to keep the populations stable and to protect their natural habitats. In environmentalist circles, it's a bit controversial since there are a lot of vegetarians and vegans in the community who like to paint all hunting and fishing as the source of a lot of our problems and the cause of just about every animal's extinction in the past two hundred years. But it's a topic with a lot more nuance than that.
lawdog 
40439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
Modern hunters in Western society are indeed some of the best contributors to wildlife conservation. They fully understand that they need wildlife to prosper to be able to have game to hunt.

This is not to be confused with poachers who are killing endangered species, mostly in the Third World, such as rhinos and elephants being killed for their tusks, largely for folk remedies for quack medicine to help rich Asians who have ED. That is pure slaughter with only a focus on the present for the impoverished poachers.

And, of course, there's always people who go over the limit and the like, but I live in the heart of a hunting region, and have seen what happens with deer populations where hunting isn't allowed. To a large degree for our own safety, we've long since killed off many of the predators that would otherwise cull game populations. We need to take the place of the predators that are gone.

5053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 22 days ago
I still think modern day hunters are not real hunters.

The time I hunted, I stalked a deer for 3 hours with just a bow and arrow. The only way I would ever hunt again.

Now adays... Sit up in a tree fort, throw some corn, drink beer and wait. I cant call that hunting.

Now to the OP, I hear that too. However, some hunters do a good job at killing off species. Think of the poor dodo bird. White rhinos, elephants and all got fucked pretty hard by hunters. Legal vs Illegal hunters makes the difference I dare say.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

Dark_Alma wrote:

Now to the OP, I hear that too. However, some hunters do a good job at killing off species. Think of the poor dodo bird. White rhinos, elephants and all got fucked pretty hard by hunters. Legal vs Illegal hunters makes the difference I dare say.


Don't forget the Thylacine, which is now my favourite animal because I randomly told Prince Judar it was in a pm.
5053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Now to the OP, I hear that too. However, some hunters do a good job at killing off species. Think of the poor dodo bird. White rhinos, elephants and all got fucked pretty hard by hunters. Legal vs Illegal hunters makes the difference I dare say.


Don't forget the Thylacine, which is now my favourite animal because I randomly told Prince Judar it was in a pm.


Ah, I had never heard thylacine before, I had heard of the Tasmanian Tiger though. I learned something new on a CR thread. WOOOO!
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 22 days ago

Dark_Alma wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Now to the OP, I hear that too. However, some hunters do a good job at killing off species. Think of the poor dodo bird. White rhinos, elephants and all got fucked pretty hard by hunters. Legal vs Illegal hunters makes the difference I dare say.


Don't forget the Thylacine, which is now my favourite animal because I randomly told Prince Judar it was in a pm.


Ah, I had never heard thylacine before, I had heard of the Tasmanian Tiger though. I learned something new on a CR thread. WOOOO!


Boy, I wish some other CR users wer able to do that
5053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Ah, I had never heard thylacine before, I had heard of the Tasmanian Tiger though. I learned something new on a CR thread. WOOOO!


Boy, I wish some other CR users wer able to do that


Learning is the spice of life, I dare say. It is why I enjoy science and mathematics so! Oh, how I could spend hours talking about rocks, minerals and organic matter.

Back on topic. I think a lot of this need for hunters to hunt deer and other "rodents" comes from the urbanization of cities killing off or forcing natures hunters to grow. Without the bears, wolves, coyotes in higher levels, the deer, doves, rats and all can grow unchecked. This is where modern day hunters would come in. Killing these "rodents" in a regulated manner to fix the fuckup that was screwing the natural course of nature.

Makes me think of the Mississippi river. The Army Corps of Engineers has a natural levee built up to stop the river from breaking apart and moving to a new path that is west of the current river (path of least resistance). This destroys a bit of the older ecosystem and also will stop coals from being "deposited" (coals are not deposited, organic matter (trees) are, then they form under pressure/temperature.)

Long story short, as human species continues to grow, we mess up the natural flow of nature, forcing us to fix our mistakes. Such is the shortsightedness of human nature.

Edit: I am going to hibernate. I have a test tomorrow I need to get sleep on. I will resume this bsing with you tomorrow if desired.
37970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 22 days ago
I heard it from an episode of Adam Ruins Everything.
You must be logged in to post.