First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Donald Trump will probably end net neutrality
Banned
1883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/20/16
Donald pretty much knows nothing about Net Neutrality except

- It was the defining point of Obama's take on technology
- Conservatives oppose it

It definitely doesn't stop him from holding a position on it



Believing it to be some censorship thing except basically the exact opposite of that and knowing nothing about computers, radios, science, or running a business really, Donald will probably put the most Comcastic person he can find in charge of the FCC.



You can thank your nearby Trumpkins
Banned
1883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/20/16
In case you have been in the dark on the issue or voted for Donald (same thing really), the idea is that ISPs can restrict access to different parts of the global Internet at their will. It is their infrastructure after all. They should be able to do whatever they want. Conservatives cheer at the thought of less government regulation. This would be less government regulation.

This is what you wanted America. Here you go.

9983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/18/16
Put the 2nd picture in quotes. Other than that, if net neutrality gets shafted... That is going to suck. Oh well... Nothing I can do. I voted and whatnot. America does America.
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/20/16
I feel like your profile pic is saying "ooooh, ouch, sorry america"
Humms 
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/18/16
That's ok. I already pay for Data on my phone.

$20 for Data, 1 GB. Yeah doesn't that sound awesome? Now its just going to be 35$, I'll just cut it to 500 Mb. Basically this is all bullshit, just another way to get money from you.

Meh, such is life We live to feed the world, why would it be the other way around?
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/19/16

KennethKenstar wrote:

In case you have been in the dark on the issue or voted for Donald (same thing really), the idea is that ISPs can restrict access to different parts of the global Internet at their will. It is their infrastructure after all. They should be able to do whatever they want. Conservatives cheer at the thought of less government regulation. This would be less government regulation.

This is what you wanted America. Here you go.



What irony...so you regurgitate the snake oil salesman pitch of the oversimplification of what net neutrality actually entails, and then talk about in case you've been in the dark....loool

its spelled out in this 50 year old cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_se8c-wN35M
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/19/16
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-835613/usa-court-ruling-and-crunchyroll

Net neutrality has been on the chopping block since, at least, 2014. I question the decision to entirely place blame on Trump. Well, on most anything related to the recent elections, really. We're kind of yelling for the barn door to be shut long after the horses fled.
1695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/18/16

KennethKenstar wrote:

Donald pretty much knows nothing about Net Neutrality except

- It was the defining point of Obama's take on technology
- Conservatives oppose it

It definitely doesn't stop him from holding a position on it



Believing it to be some censorship thing except basically the exact opposite of that and knowing nothing about computers, radios, science, or running a business really, Donald will probably put the most Comcastic person he can find in charge of the FCC.



You can thank your nearby Trumpkins


So, what is net neutrality?

Edit: And no, your second post was not enough to explain it.
Banned
1883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/18/16

aeb0717 wrote:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-835613/usa-court-ruling-and-crunchyroll

Net neutrality has been on the chopping block since, at least, 2014. I question the decision to entirely place blame on Trump. Well, on most anything related to the recent elections, really. We're kind of yelling for the barn door to be shut long after the horses fled.


Net neutrality has been on the chopping block when people who intended to chop it had power. Obama insured that net neutrality would remain a thing. I honestly don't understand why you would think it was doomed to happen when there was a literal President who backed it.
Banned
1883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/19/16

Emtro wrote:


KennethKenstar wrote:

Donald pretty much knows nothing about Net Neutrality except

- It was the defining point of Obama's take on technology
- Conservatives oppose it

It definitely doesn't stop him from holding a position on it



Believing it to be some censorship thing except basically the exact opposite of that and knowing nothing about computers, radios, science, or running a business really, Donald will probably put the most Comcastic person he can find in charge of the FCC.



You can thank your nearby Trumpkins


So, what is net neutrality?

Edit: And no, your second post was not enough to explain it.


Instead of your ISP having authority over which connections you were allowed to make, that authority was given to the FCC who gave itself the authority and then gave itself no power to enforce which connections you were allowed to make. The intention was net neutrality. Otherwise, Comcast and others, could package which connections you were to make simply because it was profitable.

For example, Comcast hates Netflix. It costs them a shitload of bandwidth and has created a trend of dropping paying for cable TV and just streaming everything.

Instead of evolving or changing their business plan, Comcast would offset the profit it loses to Netflix by charging additional money for access to Netflix.
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/20/16

KennethKenstar wrote:


For the folks interested in the topic at hand, ignore this user. He is going on some weird rant of socialism in this topic. Typical baby boomer response to the issues at hand.


yes yes, tell people to avoid competing arguments, dont even look at them! good little bot.
Humms 
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/18/16

KennethKenstar wrote:


Humms wrote:

That's ok. I already pay for Data on my phone.

$20 for Data, 1 GB. Yeah doesn't that sound awesome? Now its just going to be 35$, I'll just cut it to 500 Mb. Basically this is all bullshit, just another way to get money from you.

Meh, such is life We live to feed the world, why would it be the other way around?


No, it would still be different from what you have now. Likely, a cell phone provider would charge for a basic data plan and then in-addition to that, would charge an additional fee for anything with streaming video.


Why do you think i said $20 to $35?
13840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/18/16 , edited 11/19/16

Emtro wrote:

So, what is net neutrality?

Edit: And no, your second post was not enough to explain it.


In simpler terms, net neutrality prevents your Internet provider from slowing things down and making you pay extra to get it back to normal speed. It means all data is treated equally. Net neutrality exists to protect the consumer, but it also exists to protect everyone who runs an online service. Doing away with net neutrality not only could cause consumers to get slower internet if they don't pay more, but it can cause online services to work worse if they don't make deals with ISPs (which pretty much means paying money). For example, there has been talk for a while about how we need more competitors to Youtube. Well, without net neutrality the existing competitors or anyone trying to break into the market could be stuck in the slow lane while Youtube enjoys the fast lane, which means worse video quality, more buffering, etc. and most likely, a dead competitor.

Hell, same with Crunchy. Crunchy is a competitor to Netflix and Hulu and they very well could be staring down ISPs saying "we need money if you don't want your connections to slow down" which means less money in Crunchy's pocket which means either they bump up membership prices or have less money to spend on licenses.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.