First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Globalism Going To Be Shoved Down Our Throats?
18483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 11 days ago

Lemontitties wrote:


XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:


True. And that's fine, but what I do fear is a culture hostile toward American culture.


We already have enough of that as it is.


Sadly, very true. Hopefully we can curb this over the next few years.
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Online
Posted 11 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:

No but it seems like threads like these will be.


Yup! Also, the fact that we embraced globalism a lo~ng time ago! XD
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago
Who cares what other people think of your culture. That just means they have a sense of national pride but still not broad enough of a world view. You don't end hostility toward your culture by remaining apart from the "enemy" (not the right word but bear with me). You end hostility by performing so well that others need you, or by conquering them and unifying the people.

Cultural hostility is sort of like personal animosity. Someone's going to hate you for little or no reason and you can't really do much about that. All you can do is your best to succeed. You can overtake others through your respectable and efficient work, causing them to change their views, or you can overtake them through conquest and unification.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago
Still, people against globalization because they fear there is not enough nationalism DO have a point. Nationalism is just as important as globalization. You need to have a sense of self in and a sense of belonging as an anchor point from which to view other different cultures in the world. Sort of like how you can only measure distance if you have a point A and a point B.

Can't really ditch nationalism OR globalization. You can turn one up and the other down as you wish, or the other way around, but you do so too quickly at your own expense. You need the infrastructure and social habit necessary to support the changes in order to minimize damage during times of change.

I'm speaking as a person of multiple backgrounds. My family is Taiwanese, my grandma raised me but she is pretty much Japanese in behavior, my great grandfather was Japanese, and I grew up in the US. Trust me when I say you're better off taking what works and discarding what doesn't rather than stubbornly sticking to one when it comes to deciding how to deal with multiple cultures. Your brain won't run out of space from understanding multiple cultures, so you have very little reason not to make an attempt.
4573 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 11 days ago

MopZ wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

No but it seems like threads like these will be.


Yup! Also, the fact that we embraced globalism a lo~ng time ago! XD


This is true.
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / North
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago

XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:

My ancestral culture is safe in China and the Netherlands and I can visit it at any time. The Great Wall is still there and so are the windmills, tulips, wooden clogs and damned good cheese. And as long as no one tries to destroy those cultures, I'm perfectly content.

Since, I'm in agreement with American culture, I don't think I'm destroying it, rather, I'd look to defend it. Seeing the effects of mass immigration in the EU scares me, and I would never want that for America.


Agreed.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago
Any sort of cultural change is a type of cultural destruction. But people only seem to consider it destruction when it is caused by another culture.
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago

Kernman wrote:

I honestly haven't seen any hate besides maybe 2 threads... you either don't like politics or your team lost.. this is the discussion section. American culture is being subverted by the Democrat ELITE by pushing policies that run counter to rule of law. Me saying this isn't hateful because 67 percent polled want immigration drastically reduced.


Agreed, but there are informed an uninformed ways of approaching the issue. For example, the fastest growing demographic of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. is Indians, not Mexicans. Where would you build a wall to keep them out? For that matter, most undocumented immigrants did not get here by crossing the border illegally; they entered the country on valid temporary visas and simply didn't leave. And if you want rule of law: outstaying your visa is not a crime. Many of the laws that people are mad about not being enforced don't actually exist is the first place, and the solutions they seek (such as building a wall) are costly and ineffectual way to address the issue.


It's a point of view that has nothing to do with hate. Just like most of both the left and the rights points of view neither side is 100 right and neither side has moral high ground. There are benefits and costs to everything.. the Middle class American worker hasn't had a pay raise since 70's when fixed for inflation.


Which would be a good thing. Unfortunately, we've actually slipped backwards quite far, especially when compared to the 60s. It used to be that you could work a part-time job at minimum wage and earn enough for a full college education at a top-tier school. That same education today would require working something like 17 hours per day at minimum wage. "Adjusted for inflation" too often means "adjusted for cheep food and clothing."


Massive immigration hurts legal immigrants and the poor black and white Americans who have to compete with a ever growing FOREIGN population, Negative to the republican side is the negative aspects of enforcing the rule of law which include breaking families apart, and possibly harming people currently living in Mexico because remittance payments are a huge boon to Mexican economy. Neither side is perfectly good, but who is our government supposed to put first? I hope both parties fall apart and people become more right on economics and more left on social issues..


"Right on economics"? Like Kansas under Brownback or Louisiana under Jindal? It's hard to talk about conservative economic policy because so much of what's out there and popular isn't really good fiscal policy. We keep rehashing trickle-down economics even though it has proven to be a failure several times over. That doesn't mean I disagree with you. Charles Koch actually has some really good things to say about economic policy in our country. Unfortunately a lot of policies seem to get the support of the lottery-playing masses: "Well, if I ever strike it rich, I want to benefit from it as much as possible, so I'm going to vote for rich interests." As a result, we get a trickle-up economy. No one gets ahead by working harder anymore. It saddens me.
Posted 11 days ago
Conservatism has been hijacked by Neocons just as the Progressives have hijacked the democrats. I cant say liberalism there, because it made me think of actual classical liberalism, not the usurped Progressive Liberal definition where Progressives had to start calling themselves liberals since Progressive was getting to be a dirty word.

A true fiscal conservative would not be supportive of the MIC war machine's constantly increasing flow of funds to it.
37289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago

Morbidhanson wrote:

Still, people against globalization because they fear there is not enough nationalism DO have a point. Nationalism is just as important as globalization. You need to have a sense of self in and a sense of belonging as an anchor point from which to view other different cultures in the world. Sort of like how you can only measure distance if you have a point A and a point B.

Can't really ditch nationalism OR globalization. You can turn one up and the other down as you wish, or the other way around, but you do so too quickly at your own expense. You need the infrastructure and social habit necessary to support the changes in order to minimize damage during times of change.

I'm speaking as a person of multiple backgrounds. My family is Taiwanese, my grandma raised me but she is pretty much Japanese in behavior, my great grandfather was Japanese, and I grew up in the US. Trust me when I say you're better off taking what works and discarding what doesn't rather than stubbornly sticking to one when it comes to deciding how to deal with multiple cultures. Your brain won't run out of space from understanding multiple cultures, so you have very little reason not to make an attempt.


Accepting other cultures is not the same thing as globalization. Nationalism is not a rejection of other cultures. Globalism is a rejection of other cultures.

Nationalism is how a country defines who and what they are. It guards against outside encroachments (If your country likes doing that, that's fine, but don't try to force that shit on my country).

Globalism is how a world body defines who and what all countries are. It encroaches on sovereign countries, forcing its outside views onto those countries (You have to give up that outmoded way of doing things. You have to open up your borders, and you must follow our global laws).

American people are finally waking up to what "New World Order" really means. American people are not very keen on the idea of being ruled by an "outside world governing body." Americans understand that outside governing bodies do not necessarily espouse the freedoms guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights.

Americans are starting to understand that The Patriot Act, and that the Department of Homeland Security, are tools designed to take our Bill of Rights away from us. This is why Hillary lost. This is why Obama has been repudiated. This is why Trump was elected. This is why Americans will be sure that Trump follows through on dismantling globalization in the United States.
8453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago
I don't think globalism is inherently bad, and that the way the technology is advancing it might be inevitable. That being said, the more I learn of the TPP the less I am a fan of it. I don't like the fact that a job that could be done by an American can be outsourced to India. That being said, those who are pure capitalist should be for it. Capitalism is all about the corporations maximizing their profits.That's not me defending it, that is just the facts.
I don't believe we are losing jobs because of NAFTA, but rather due to automation. Jobs that used to be done by humans are now being done by machines. Whether or not globalization progresses or not that is inevitable.

I'm for globalization if that means the world governments are working closer together in a way that benefits the most amount of people, I'm all for it.

Will there be losers? Yes. But don't pretend that losers arise from globalization and when everyone was an isolationist country, only poking their heads out to declare war that they were somehow better off. There have always been winners, and there have always been losers.

18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago
Globalism is a process that wants simplify/unify, taken to its extremes it becomes oppressive, there are some good points that should be encouraged and other points that should be fought till defeated. That process requires thoughtful analysis of the issues, something acceptable to one side is not all bad nor all good
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 11 days ago
HAIL TRUMP! HE WILL FIX GLOBALISM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=1o6-bi3jlxk

Just got a laugh from this. Not really. It scares me.
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11 days ago , edited 11 days ago
Meh. Too much of a smell of tinfoil hats than I like. Whether you like it or not, globalization is going to happen. Probably not one world government or anything dramatic like that, but not many countries, especially one as influential as the US, can simply tear out all the strands on its network and become totally self-sufficient. That's not realistic. Or possible.

The more resources are used, the more you will have to look toward neighbors to provide. As more and more people require care, more people will do dumb crap, and more individual liberties will be lost for greater overall protection for all. We see that in individual countries and it's no different than what will happen with globalization. Naturally, you will then have to consider your neighbor's rules if you want them to help you. It's not an absolute determination of what you will do, since nobody is forcing you to make that choice, but it is definitely a powerful point of consideration when you need to run an entire country. There are more people on this planet than there ever have been before, natural resources reserves and natural environments are increasingly threatened despite our best efforts, and the globe is warming. This is essentially a new situation never before encountered by humankind.

People might pull away now and try to go back to some romantic era where their country is manly and independent and leaderlike, but that's not likely to stay that way for long even if it somehow happens for a while.

I'm fairly sure WW3 is coming soon as tensions rise as some nations strive to pull away from dependence from other countries. Or others want help from a neighbor who refuses to assist. Still, others will try to take land to get more resources and territory and poke the sleeping tiger to see how much they can get away with before war begins. The scary part will be that there is no villain figure painted red; everyone will have some valid reasons for doing as they do. Tensions will spiral into conflict, and conflict into full-blown war. I feel like we're overdue for another bloodbath. Big wars have always happened and there's no indication that they will stop.
29030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11 days ago
Can't beat them' join globalization
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.