First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Politics - Red Vs. Blue. and my way of apologizing.
2271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
Okay so this was a nasty election. If we can't all agree on anything else then I think we can agree on this. I really didn't think people would vote for Trump. His comments alluding to sexual assault alone were enough in my mind to turn everyone away from this man but I was looking at it all wrong. I was caught up in the whole Hillary vs Trump affair and while both have their passionate supporters I think most people who voted really weren't voting for a single candidate. Honestly I think everyone who broke for Trump didn't necessarily do so because they love him or his message. It was more a repudiation of both parties. Voting for Trump as president feels more like people just said enough and voted against both Democrats and Republicans. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think so. People are fed up and they want something, anything different from the status quo. So it is quite wrong to assume that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist or bigot. I'm sure there are plenty of racists who did vote for Trump but then again I'm equally sure the same applies to Hillary. I just think it is wrong to generalize people based on our own narrow opinions and like a lot of people this election I definitely generalized a lot.

I failed to see that this wasn't so much a popularity contest or that people who voted one way or another were actually voting for that persons message. I just don't see everyone who voted for Trump being down with racism or hatred. There's just not that many nasty people out there. Yes, we're seeing an uptick of racism at the moment and that's because of a minority of people who live on the fringe feel emboldened to use this opportunity to try and spread their own hatred. Does this mean that everyone who voted for Trump shares in that hatred? I don't believe it does. Just like I don't believe that those looting and rioting in protest against Trump actually represent Hillary Clinton. Once again they are a few bad apples who are using this opportunity to spread misery.

Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.

So let's all just sit back and give Trump a chance and then judge him based on his actions. Only time will tell if this was a bad choice or not. Personally I just think all of the generalizations need to stop and we shouldn't always be at each other throats over a difference of opinions. When you boil everything down to it's purest essence then you realize that we were all voting for nearly the same things. We just have different opinions on how to best go about it is all. So if I allowed myself to put everyone in a one shoe fits all approach then I'm sorry.
3754 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
This is the only Red vs Blue I care about
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
I couldn't agree with you more . And you are right from what I can tell it wasn't about race either just as you said a dissatisfaction with our system. Hopefully something good comes out of all this.

I mean I know how most people view us Texans and I'm fine with that but we nearly turned blue this election, if that doesn't say something I don't know what will. I personally didn't vote for either one because I couldn't morally justify putting either one in office, we just had a bad pick of the litter this election.

Nice to see some people are willing to stay peaceful regardless of their opinions of the election. Just gotta hakuna matata.
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:
Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.


Nope, no backsies. They voted for this horror showing knowing full well what it entailed. No, not everyone that voted for Trump is a racist, sexist, etc etc etc. But by voting for him they fully condoned his behaviour and sent a message to the rest of the country / world ( including the absolute bowels of it which are racist, sexist, etc and bubbling up ) that this sort of behaviour was acceptable in society. The end result is this vile morass of awfulness we have rising to the surface. Nevermind that they voted for *exactly* what they claimed to be against: Corruption, lies, self serving leaders, etc.

You are responsible for your vote and everything it entailed. No one made you vote a certain way and to be brutally frank every stupid/awful thing he does should hung around the neck of everyone who voted for Trump for the next 4 years and beyond. Because literally every available sign was staring them in the face this entire time. None of what is happening or what will happen is going to be a surprise. You knew, we knew, the world knew.

Own your shit, people.
18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

runec wrote:


TheOriginalStraynge wrote:
Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.


Nope, no backsies. They voted for this horror showing knowing full well what it entailed. No, not everyone that voted for Trump is a racist, sexist, etc etc etc. But by voting for him they fully condoned his behaviour and sent a message to the rest of the country / world ( including the absolute bowels of it which are racist, sexist, etc and bubbling up ) that this sort of behaviour was acceptable in society. The end result is this vile morass of awfulness we have rising to the surface. Nevermind that they voted for *exactly* what they claimed to be against: Corruption, lies, self serving leaders, etc.

You are responsible for your vote and everything it entailed. No one made you vote a certain way and to be brutally frank every stupid/awful thing he does should hung around the neck of everyone who voted for Trump for the next 4 years and beyond. Because literally every available sign was staring them in the face this entire time. None of what is happening or what will happen is going to be a surprise. You knew, we knew, the world knew.

Own your shit, people.


no no, we all know that we are -all of the above- after all everyone is calling us those things
37289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

runec wrote:


TheOriginalStraynge wrote:
Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.


Nope, no backsies. They voted for this horror showing knowing full well what it entailed. No, not everyone that voted for Trump is a racist, sexist, etc etc etc. But by voting for him they fully condoned his behaviour and sent a message to the rest of the country / world ( including the absolute bowels of it which are racist, sexist, etc and bubbling up ) that this sort of behaviour was acceptable in society. The end result is this vile morass of awfulness we have rising to the surface. Nevermind that they voted for *exactly* what they claimed to be against: Corruption, lies, self serving leaders, etc.

You are responsible for your vote and everything it entailed. No one made you vote a certain way and to be brutally frank every stupid/awful thing he does should hung around the neck of everyone who voted for Trump for the next 4 years and beyond. Because literally every available sign was staring them in the face this entire time. None of what is happening or what will happen is going to be a surprise. You knew, we knew, the world knew.

Own your shit, people.


Everyone who voted had their own reason for voting. For me it was to break the Bush-es, Clintons, and Obama's out of the government. To take back our government from giant corporations.

It is you, and others like you, who tried insanely hard to make this a race war. That is because, that was YOUR reason for voting. You cannot imprint YOUR reasoning on others. You can only voice your point of view.

And just as my reasons for voting for Trump was rejected, many people rejected your point of view, as well. You are one of those, that generalizes and issues blanket labels on others for voting a certain way. And it is this kind of narrow thinking that won't let the division, that has been created during this very rough election, to heal.

It has been pointed out, over and again. That counties across the U.S. that voted for President Obama - twice, had had enough, of his failed policies, and didn't want a Clinton that would only continue down his failed path. So they voted for Trump. Yet, you won't give them that. You continue to insist that it was an irresponsible vote for racism and other bad-isms.
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:
Everyone who voted had their own reason for voting. For me it was to break the Bush-es, Clintons, and Obama's out of the government. To take back our government from giant corporations.


By handing it to a billionaire that lives in a gold plated condo at the top of tower with more conflicts of interesting than any president in history. Who doesn't even know what a blind trust is and is busy bringing nepotism back into style. Good call there.



DeadlyOats wrote:It is you, and others like you, who tried insanely hard to make this a race war. That is because, that was YOUR reason for voting. You cannot imprint YOUR reasoning on others. You can only voice your point of view.


Nope. Trump is what he is. Pence is what he is. Both are a matter of record. Its not a point of view. I am also not American so "YOUR reason for voting" doesn't apply.



DeadlyOats wrote:And it is this kind of narrow thinking that won't let the division, that has been created during this very rough election, to heal.


And you voted the man responsible for that division into office. Thereby legitimizing that division. You don't get to play the healing come together card after supporting that.



DeadlyOats wrote:
You continue to insist that it was an irresponsible vote for racism and other bad-isms.


Is it not, by definition, irresponsible to vote for the most uniquely unqualified candidate in the country's history? One who ran a campaign of unprecedented hate, anger, pettiness and dishonesty? Who repeatedly demonstrated he has no idea at all how the office of the president, the government in general or world politics at large works?

Sorry, but no, you can't try and take some sort of higher purpose / morale high ground over this. This is your candidate. You picked him. You looked straight into the well of shit and corruption he hung out in front of the nation without a shred of shame and you cheered.

This is all on you. Are you not the "Party of Personal Responsibility(tm)"? Well then, take responsibility for your vote.






54 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12 days ago

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

Okay so this was a nasty election. If we can't all agree on anything else then I think we can agree on this. I really didn't think people would vote for Trump. His comments alluding to sexual assault alone were enough in my mind to turn everyone away from this man but I was looking at it all wrong. I was caught up in the whole Hillary vs Trump affair and while both have their passionate supporters I think most people who voted really weren't voting for a single candidate. Honestly I think everyone who broke for Trump didn't necessarily do so because they love him or his message. It was more a repudiation of both parties. Voting for Trump as president feels more like people just said enough and voted against both Democrats and Republicans. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think so. People are fed up and they want something, anything different from the status quo. So it is quite wrong to assume that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist or bigot. I'm sure there are plenty of racists who did vote for Trump but then again I'm equally sure the same applies to Hillary. I just think it is wrong to generalize people based on our own narrow opinions and like a lot of people this election I definitely generalized a lot.

I failed to see that this wasn't so much a popularity contest or that people who voted one way or another were actually voting for that persons message. I just don't see everyone who voted for Trump being down with racism or hatred. There's just not that many nasty people out there. Yes, we're seeing an uptick of racism at the moment and that's because of a minority of people who live on the fringe feel emboldened to use this opportunity to try and spread their own hatred. Does this mean that everyone who voted for Trump shares in that hatred? I don't believe it does. Just like I don't believe that those looting and rioting in protest against Trump actually represent Hillary Clinton. Once again they are a few bad apples who are using this opportunity to spread misery.

Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.

So let's all just sit back and give Trump a chance and then judge him based on his actions. Only time will tell if this was a bad choice or not. Personally I just think all of the generalizations need to stop and we shouldn't always be at each other throats over a difference of opinions. When you boil everything down to it's purest essence then you realize that we were all voting for nearly the same things. We just have different opinions on how to best go about it is all. So if I allowed myself to put everyone in a one shoe fits all approach then I'm sorry.


Nice to hear a rational opinion again, it's been awhile.

I whole heatedly agree that we should give the guy a chance first, many of the negative traits listed above were probably blown out of proportion thanks to just how much mudslinging and general childishness the media on both sides engaged in during the election so who knows, maybe he's not as bad as we think.
60151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12 days ago

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.

So let's all just sit back and give Trump a chance and then judge him based on his actions. Only time will tell if this was a bad choice or not. Personally I just think all of the generalizations need to stop and we shouldn't always be at each other throats over a difference of opinions. When you boil everything down to it's purest essence then you realize that we were all voting for nearly the same things. We just have different opinions on how to best go about it is all. So if I allowed myself to put everyone in a one shoe fits all approach then I'm sorry.


Is it safe to say that I agree with what you're saying, but not with what you're doing? After all, in the same breath as you stated that the generalizations need to stop, you are also saying that people who voted for Trump were doing it for these reasons and not those reasons. If you really want to show that you're sorry for generalizing their positions, then I think you should stop telling people what their reasons were for voting for Trump.
27595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

Okay so this was a nasty election. If we can't all agree on anything else then I think we can agree on this. I really didn't think people would vote for Trump. His comments alluding to sexual assault alone were enough in my mind to turn everyone away from this man but I was looking at it all wrong. I was caught up in the whole Hillary vs Trump affair and while both have their passionate supporters I think most people who voted really weren't voting for a single candidate. Honestly I think everyone who broke for Trump didn't necessarily do so because they love him or his message. It was more a repudiation of both parties. Voting for Trump as president feels more like people just said enough and voted against both Democrats and Republicans. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think so. People are fed up and they want something, anything different from the status quo. So it is quite wrong to assume that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist or bigot. I'm sure there are plenty of racists who did vote for Trump but then again I'm equally sure the same applies to Hillary. I just think it is wrong to generalize people based on our own narrow opinions and like a lot of people this election I definitely generalized a lot.

I failed to see that this wasn't so much a popularity contest or that people who voted one way or another were actually voting for that persons message. I just don't see everyone who voted for Trump being down with racism or hatred. There's just not that many nasty people out there. Yes, we're seeing an uptick of racism at the moment and that's because of a minority of people who live on the fringe feel emboldened to use this opportunity to try and spread their own hatred. Does this mean that everyone who voted for Trump shares in that hatred? I don't believe it does. Just like I don't believe that those looting and rioting in protest against Trump actually represent Hillary Clinton. Once again they are a few bad apples who are using this opportunity to spread misery.

Anyway, this is just my way of apologizing to those I may have generalized. Once the dust cleared and I was able to sit back and calmly look at things I had to come to the conclusion that there just can't be that many racists out there. People weren't voting so Trump would kick out all of the illegals or ban Muslims. They weren't voting for homosexual conversion therapy or any of that other nonsense. Mainly they were voting their dissatisfaction in a system that they feel is rigged against them and so they made the only choice that seemed logical to them. Try something new.

So let's all just sit back and give Trump a chance and then judge him based on his actions. Only time will tell if this was a bad choice or not. Personally I just think all of the generalizations need to stop and we shouldn't always be at each other throats over a difference of opinions. When you boil everything down to it's purest essence then you realize that we were all voting for nearly the same things. We just have different opinions on how to best go about it is all. So if I allowed myself to put everyone in a one shoe fits all approach then I'm sorry.



Thank you. One of my buddies was afraid to mention that he was a black man voting for Trump. He thought he would be insulted or worse. I told him to stand tall, I may not agree with him, but it was his right as a black American citizen to vote for whoever he chose. I think a lot of people forgot that this is democracy in action, and you vote your choice, not someone elses choice.

27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
Everyone has their own reason to vote a certain way. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they hate you.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
I think you are mostly correct. There are all kinds of reasons to vote for Trump that have nothing to do with racism or bigotry.

I hated the way Conservatives senselessly attacked Obama before he even took office. It doesn't look any better coming from the left. I hope Democrats don't think they can just dig in and stall government the way the Republicans did either. No, it's not fair; but liberals need to take the high road and work to compromise.

To be clear, I don't trust Trump. His cabinet appointments are causing me real stress. I haven't payed this much attention to current events since the markets crashed in 2008, and my sense of uneasiness mirrors that time as well. I will be paying attention and watching what happens next very closely. But I will not start losing my shit until he actually does something.
955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
Thank god i didn't vote.
123 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago
Yeah.. I didn't want Obama but I didn't start bitching until his apology tour hehe... but seriously I think in the long run it's good that the pendulum swung sooo far to the left.. Most liberals saw the extreme side of the left which used to be extremely small (people attempting to blow up federal buildings... Kent state Massacre etc etc.) So now both sides got their nuts and the people in the middle naturally look at each other and condemn the crazies... No god doesn't want gays dead and no Trumps not racist.. its crazy the comments they claim racist where literally from his first speech.. before he got feedback from both political advisers, and the public. Afterwards he was much more careful with his words. But I believe most people when they get together and actually talk are more like Dave Rubin and any conservative hes talked to... he is my favorite leftist cause he calls the bad ones on their shit and shows the good ones anyone could work with.
37140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12 days ago , edited 12 days ago

Kernman wrote:

Yeah.. I didn't want Obama but I didn't start bitching until his apology tour hehe... but seriously I think in the long run it's good that the pendulum swung sooo far to the left.. Most liberals saw the extreme side of the left which used to be extremely small (people attempting to blow up federal buildings... Kent state Massacre etc etc.) So now both sides got their nuts and the people in the middle naturally look at each other and condemn the crazies... No god doesn't want gays dead and no Trumps not racist.. its crazy the comments they claim racist where literally from his first speech.. before he got feedback from both political advisers, and the public. Afterwards he was much more careful with his words. But I believe most people when they get together and actually talk are more like Dave Rubin and any conservative hes talked to... he is my favorite leftist cause he calls the bad ones on their shit and shows the good ones anyone could work with.


I hate to break it to you, but Obama was not far left. In U.S. politics he was a completely moderate, mainstream Democrat. In global politics he would actually be considered center-right on many issues. The country never swung far to the left. It barely budged at all. Bernie Sanders is what the left looks like, and we haven't had someone like that in modern history.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.