First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply who is your fav marvel character and why?
18774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 15 days ago , edited 14 days ago


I like doctor strange -ive only seen the movies, the only comics ive read are the Harley Quinn ones-

I like him because he over came his egotistical narcisstic self, and actually had to learn his powers, also the powers are bad ass lol'
-second fav would be iron man-


inb4 kevin comes in and says spiderman
4882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 15 days ago
If you like the Dr. Strange movie then you owe it to yourself to read the comics. They contain some of the best artwork and most daring storytelling in the entire medium.



As for me, my favourite Marvel hero is probably She-Hulk.



I know, right? I like She-Hulk the best because of her mind. She has a fun and upbeat personality but never has a problem with acting seriously when the time calls for it. Not only that, but she is the smartest member of the Hulk "family" by a long shot, able to gain control of her hulked out persona much faster than the others. She's also quite brilliant, becoming one of America's greatest lawyers at a relatively young age while balancing being a superhero (way better than Matt Murdock) If you need more proof of her incredible mind then just look at the fact that she can use her extraordinary thinking and strategising to keep up with all the other Hulks in battle despite being one of, if not the, weakest in terms of raw physical power. That isn't to say that she's weak however, as even in her weakest form she was able to defeat Iron man one-on-one and surpassed the entire maximum lifting capacity of The Thing with only one hand.

I can also appreciate her for her physical appearance. Not just because she looks hot as a gamma bomb, but also because of the way she's treated by the story. In 36 years of She-Hulk comics I cannot recall having ever seen her be drawn in sexually pandering ways (not in the comics, anyway) she's just a really attractive character and the story doesn't have to compromise itself to let us know that.
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 15 days ago


I got a thing for tragic characters. To be able to wish away your enemies and turn them into dust. I mean come on...
18774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 15 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:

If you like the Dr. Strange movie then you owe it to yourself to read the comics. They contain some of the best artwork and most daring storytelling in the entire medium.



As for me, my favourite Marvel hero is probably She-Hulk.



I know, right? I like She-Hulk the best because of her mind. She has a fun and upbeat personality but never has a problem with acting seriously when the time calls for it. Not only that, but she is the smartest member of the Hulk "family" by a long shot, able to gain control of her hulked out persona much faster than the others. She's also quite brilliant, becoming one of America's greatest lawyers at a relatively young age while balancing being a superhero (way better than Matt Murdock) If you need more proof of her incredible mind then just look at the fact that she can use her extraordinary thinking and strategising to keep up with all the other Hulks in battle despite being one of, if not the, weakest in terms of raw physical power. That isn't to say that she's weak however, as even in her weakest form she was able to defeat Iron man one-on-one and surpassed the entire maximum lifting capacity of The Thing with only one hand.

I can also appreciate her for her physical appearance. Not just because she looks hot as a gamma bomb, but also because of the way she's treated by the story. In 36 years of She-Hulk comics I cannot recall having ever seen her be drawn in sexually pandering ways (not in the comics, anyway) she's just a really attractive character and the story doesn't have to compromise itself to let us know that.


>hot as a gamma bomb. lol

where can I read the comics though? and where would I even start
4882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 15 days ago , edited 15 days ago

redokami wrote:

>hot as a gamma bomb. lol

where can I read the comics though? and where would I even start


Well there's marvel unlimited for one. It's basically a netflix-esque streaming service where you can read almost all the marvel comics in existence up to those released about 6 or 7 months ago. I recommend physical copies if you can afford them however and unless you want to go hardcore and collect the old issues your best bet is graphic novels that collect them all together. There are many different ways to read Dr. Strange through this but the best way to start will probably be with the Marvel masterworks: Doctor Strange series. The first volume can be found on amazon for $25.

https://www.amazon.ca/Doctor-Strange-Vol-Marvel-Masterworks/dp/0785111808

If you'd rather look at other GNs your local comic and book shops will definitely be happy to help you out.
18774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 15 days ago

octorockandroll wrote:


redokami wrote:

>hot as a gamma bomb. lol

where can I read the comics though? and where would I even start


Well there's marvel unlimited for one. It's basically a netflix-esque streaming service where you can read almost all the marvel comics in existence up to those released about 6 or 7 months ago. I recommend physical copies if you can afford them however and unless you want to go hardcore and collect the old issues your best bet is graphic novels that collect them all together. There are many different ways to read Dr. Strange through this but the best way to start will probably be with the Marvel masterworks: Doctor Strange series. The first volume can be found on amazon for $25.

https://www.amazon.ca/Doctor-Strange-Vol-Marvel-Masterworks/dp/0785111808

If you'd rather look at other GNs your local comic and book shops will definitely be happy to help you out.

thank you so much, do you have any idea how many volumes there are? and spin offs if there is such a thing in the comic book universe - like I said I don't read comics I domanga and anime lol

4882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 15 days ago

redokami wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


redokami wrote:

>hot as a gamma bomb. lol

where can I read the comics though? and where would I even start


Well there's marvel unlimited for one. It's basically a netflix-esque streaming service where you can read almost all the marvel comics in existence up to those released about 6 or 7 months ago. I recommend physical copies if you can afford them however and unless you want to go hardcore and collect the old issues your best bet is graphic novels that collect them all together. There are many different ways to read Dr. Strange through this but the best way to start will probably be with the Marvel masterworks: Doctor Strange series. The first volume can be found on amazon for $25.

https://www.amazon.ca/Doctor-Strange-Vol-Marvel-Masterworks/dp/0785111808

If you'd rather look at other GNs your local comic and book shops will definitely be happy to help you out.

thank you so much, do you have any idea how many volumes there are? and spin offs if there is such a thing in the comic book universe - like I said I don't read comics I domanga and anime lol



Well for the Marvel Masterworks volumes Dr. Strange has 7 volumes total, and they should cover the character's history up until about 1979 at which point you will probably have to start looking at other graphic novel collections if you want to keep going. I don't think I can think of anything Dr. Strange related as far as spinoffs go aside from this one where he teams up with doctor doom.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dr-Strange-Doom-Triumph-Torment/dp/0785184546

He's also a founding member of The Defenders and is present on most of the team's incarnations. Superhero teams are sorta like spinoffs I would say. He's also had tenures on other teams like the Avengers and the Illuminati.

https://www.amazon.com/NEW-AVENGERS-ILLUMINATI-MARVEL-LIMITED/dp/B004OEXK32
17931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 15 days ago , edited 15 days ago


I liked this guy ever since I read Infinity Gauntlet as a kid back in the 90's. I love it when villains teeter on the verge of good & evil. While he's mostly been a bad guy during his career he has at times shown valor and been dubbed a 'Samaritan" while he repented. His courtship of "Death" has been interesting since their relationship is always back and forth. I have almost every comic book of this guy including his 1st appearance and even his first story in Logan's Run #6.

Every time Thanos is on a panel I soak it up.
39080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
... thwip
4882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 15 days ago

MysticGon wrote:



I got a thing for tragic characters. To be able to wish away your enemies and turn them into dust. I mean come on...


Yeah. I think X-Men is a pretty cool girl. esh comes back from the dead ans doesnt afraid of anything.
108080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / strangereal
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
I like she-hulk the most for female marvel characters. She's a fun and endearing character.

For others I suppose venom, task master,ghost ride, shuma gotath and dormammu for edge and magic edge. Black panther is also pretty cool. I can't really think of any other on top of my head right now.
29636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Midnight City
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
17931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 15 days ago


Call me old school but I preferred Eddie Brock Venom. I'm surprised Agent Venom lasted as long as it did. Not that I dislike him, but I always though the idea was gimmicky. Turning him into Call of Duty instead of the monster he's supposed to be. But from what I hear he's back to being a monster, but it's not Brock. I even liked Gargan's run as Venom during the Thunderbolts & Dark Avengers. He actually ate people.



7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 15 days ago
I still find myself more drawn to Marvel's team books than solo books. The Original Guardians of the Galaxy, The Squadron Supreme, The Invaders, The Avengers, The Defenders, The Champions, The Thunderbolts, The X-Men, etc. but as far as solo heroes go there's only one I can honestly say I fell in love with reading every month...



Loved how he was like Batman, Dr. Fate and Daredevil all rolled into one.
14781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 15 days ago , edited 15 days ago
I grew up liking the old 80's "fuzzy-elf"-era Nightcrawler, before they decided to revise him into a morose born-again Catholic. (We see a LITTLE bit of it in X2, but not enough, and a lot more of it in XM:Apocalypse, but not in the classic 90's TAS cartoon, from after he turned into a boring wet-blanket...Unglaublich!)


Before--even up through the Chris Claremont years before "Excalibur" went down the toilet without him--Kurt was the circus-raised showoff and class-clown, who always thought he was the sword-dueling Errol Flynn of the group, but was also the peacemaker who was more in touch with the ideas of Everybody Getting Along.

I was a straight teen who read X-Men; to me, "not being accepted" was more about Kurt being the nice guy who couldn't go out in public, and couldn't really do much in a fight, but it didn't stop him from being the official team Designated Nice Guy and Showoff. :)


octorockandroll wrote:

As for me, my favourite Marvel hero is probably She-Hulk.



I know, right? I like She-Hulk the best because of her mind. She has a fun and upbeat personality but never has a problem with acting seriously when the time calls for it. Not only that, but she is the smartest member of the Hulk "family" by a long shot, able to gain control of her hulked out persona much faster than the others. She's also quite brilliant, becoming one of America's greatest lawyers at a relatively young age while balancing being a superhero (way better than Matt Murdock) I


I was just about to say my second favorite.

Not just because I'd first read her during her parody "Sensational" John Byrne years, when she invented Deadpool's "Fourth-wall" act by teaming up with Howard the Duck and sticking up for other Marvel characters whose titles had flopped in the 70's:


But after Byrne had his big fight with Marvel (something about a gag where Jennifer can't shave her legs because the razors keep breaking?), the parody title folded, they kept her sassy wit as a running character bit in the Avengers, and like you say, she became the team's valuable conscience in the field of Super Law.
(Unlike Matt Murdock, who was vigilante in his spare time, and broke rules when he had to.)

Making her, arguably, the hero of Civil War II, by defending a past reformed super-villain against criminal profiling.
Superheroes who guise as big-city lawyers are nothing new, but it's rare that you actually manage to root for them as lawyers as well.
Also, in the Marvel spirit, she doesn't have a Secret Identity, and doesn't moon over transformations like Bruce Banner did--A gamma boost in the 90's stuck her as big and green, meaning that even as attorney, she still walks into court in 7'2" district-attorney power-wardrobe..."Take a good look, NY, green is the new black!"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.