First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people see Australians as racist
9301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8 days ago , edited 8 days ago

Bailey86 wrote:

in australia theres an unwritten rule.

if i am comfortable with the piss being taken out of me - i can take the piss out of other people.

therefore if i am comfortable with someone taking the piss out of my nationality - theirs is also fair game to me(but this i would only apply with people i actually know)

whats a bit of harmless racism between friends right?


Not sure if you're being sarcastic but this is actually true.
As i've mentioned multipe times at this forum, i work in a rather multi cultural environment. And we do at times make racist jokes. Sometime we do make jokes about each others race or racial stero types and yes, take the piss out of each other as well as ourselves.
Of course you have to be careful, and you dont make racial jokes to someone new or someone that you dont know/have just met or someone that you dont get along with.

Even the Asian guys, they make jokes about who's blacker or about Aboriginies or etc so its not just whites.

I actually like to ask people about their country and culture and try to learn from them. Try to find common ground and make converation and etc. But it's funny, when i talk to a black person like as African for instance, you really have to think before you say anything as so much is considered racist now.
Like i feel racist if i ask a black person if he likes hip hop because that would be a stero type, right? That's how it is for white people lol.
I've had interesting conversations with a Muslim guy as well. i asked him if he would kill someone if they drew a cartoon of Muhammad lol
I reckon he would ^^; i mean its good to learn from each other.
He said he worries for his daughter and wants to take her back to the middle east so she wont turn out Australian, not in those exact words. is that racist? well sort of but not really, it's his kid.
But if i told him, go back then. RACIST! ha ha

Posted 8 days ago

Ryulightorb wrote:

I don't get it ....i mean sure alot of us make race related puns and jokes but its all in good humour \o/


I've never seen aussies as racist, but the % of aussies that are propagandized and believe it hook line & sinker reaches levels not seen outside of dutch or swedish youths.
18458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 8 days ago
Not sure why either mate. But I will assume it will be due to their individual experiences... and how Aussies treat them.
NC2612 
4027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 8 days ago , edited 8 days ago
Most of us a pretty racist if you include white, and non white Australians (Not openly for the most part), though we're less racist than most Asian countries. I will say though, that we appear to be more racist than we used to be in that past, though that's probably because of the increase in how many... err foreign nationals are migrating as well as refugees/asylum seekers.
9524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8 days ago

NC2612 wrote:

Most of us a pretty racist if you include white, and non white Australians (Not openly for the most part), though we're less racist than most Asian countries. I will say though, that we appear to be more racist than we used to be in that past, though that's probably because of the increase in how many... err foreign nationals are migrating as well as refugees/asylum seekers.


>White
>NonWhite

What's left?
NC2612 
4027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 8 days ago , edited 8 days ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


NC2612 wrote:

Most of us a pretty racist if you include white, and non white Australians (Not openly for the most part), though we're less racist than most Asian countries. I will say though, that we appear to be more racist than we used to be in that past, though that's probably because of the increase in how many... err foreign nationals are migrating as well as refugees/asylum seekers.


>White
>NonWhite

What's left?



I only put it like that, because when most people say Australian's are racist, they tend to only be referring to the white Australians.
9301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8 days ago , edited 8 days ago
It might have something to do with the way they seem to have gone about immigration here. It's almost like they took turns on what sort of people to suddenly bring here in mass numbers.
Rather than a big mixture at the same time. Like first it was Italians an greeks, then suddenly the Vietnamese, then Indians, Then Africans, now Arabs (of course its not lierally only one race at a time and there are Asians and Europeans from all over here) but i guess it makes them stand out more and is just more noticible.
More likely to feel like a big change has happened so suddenly and cause clashes and fears and the feel of an invasion.

It is good though how there is such a mix. Like it dose not feel like Muslisms will take over because the Asians wont have that. Nor will the Europeans and i dont think the Africans will either(some Asians and Africans are Muslim, yes i know).

It must really piss the Aboriginal people off. Like i reckon there are 10 times as many Indians in Australia now than there are Aboriginal people.

Another reason we are considered racist is because alot of Aboriginal people live like shit and dont work and we get the blame. Plus when we celebrate "Australia day" and all go out and celebrate and have a fun day filled with BBQ's and going to the beach and drinking and just enjoying living in Australia and how safe we are here, the Aboriginies see it as "invasion day" and see it as us celrbrating the day they were invaded by the English.
37407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8 days ago

starshots wrote:


penguincat wrote:

It's stuff like openly attacking people of different races on public transport.
Only recently in the past few weeks there were two girls from Asia talking in there native language getting screamed at by a woman on a bus "we speak English here go back to where you came from if you don't speak English" It's stuff like that goes around the world due to youtube etc and gets everyone labeled.



That reminds me of this video: https://youtu.be/ZBdYvN49eRU?t=1m23s



I think she was just triggered. Someone set her off. We didn't see what started her rant. Not excusing her behavior. But people don't go off the deep end like that unless someone got on their last nerve. We don't get to see what that was. Yet, she sure made a very strong effort to be as offensive as she could be.

I have to add, that being American, I can't understand Australian English that well. It sounds foreign to me. So, I didn't understand most of what was said in that video.
1432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / North
Offline
Posted 8 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:


starshots wrote:


penguincat wrote:

It's stuff like openly attacking people of different races on public transport.
Only recently in the past few weeks there were two girls from Asia talking in there native language getting screamed at by a woman on a bus "we speak English here go back to where you came from if you don't speak English" It's stuff like that goes around the world due to youtube etc and gets everyone labeled.



That reminds me of this video: https://youtu.be/ZBdYvN49eRU?t=1m23s



I think she was just triggered. Someone set her off. We didn't see what started her rant. Not excusing her behavior. But people don't go off the deep end like that unless someone got on their last nerve. We don't get to see what that was. Yet, she sure made a very strong effort to be as offensive as she could be.

I have to add, that being American, I can't understand Australian English that well. It sounds foreign to me. So, I didn't understand most of what was said in that video.


Then your entire post means absolutely nothing.

3376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / In a Yaoi Fanfic
Offline
Posted 8 days ago

DeadlyOats wrote:

I have to add, that being American, I can't understand Australian English that well. It sounds foreign to me. So, I didn't understand most of what was said in that video.


It's really not hard to understand, hard to hear at the beginning, yes, but not hard to understand.

16789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 8 days ago
"Political correctness in Australia is calling someone a cunt instead of a fucking cunt" -Some cunt
17307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My Couch
Offline
Posted 8 days ago
Never knew people thought of them that way. The only thing I think about when it comes to australia is how everything can kill you over there.
17925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 8 days ago
Huh? I never heard of this.

Got an Aussie friend and never gave me a racist vibe. He's offensive to everyone but not racist.
5248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8 days ago
I'm from the western hemisphere and I have yet to see why Australians are racist. I did talk to some cold-hearted ones, but I don't really have bad overall experience with Australians (some guild leader of mine in a Korean mmorpg game is Australian and he's pretty laid-back).
37407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8 days ago

Dogempire wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:

I have to add, that being American, I can't understand Australian English that well. It sounds foreign to me. So, I didn't understand most of what was said in that video.


It's really not hard to understand, hard to hear at the beginning, yes, but not hard to understand.



So, yeah! You and I heard the same thing! I couldn't understand the beginning part of what was being said, either. However, she was clearly triggered, the video didn't start until she was already going. So, the part that got her started was not shown, either.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.