First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply More Gun Control Is Needed! After The Ohio Attack ???
12545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 11/29/16 , edited 11/29/16

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:


AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

i was busy with online shopping so i didn't pay attention to the news for the past few days

Ohio State University Student Shot Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hRScE-lbA

OSU Attacker Facebook Rant Investigated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRsAbScMzm4

Weapons of choice in this domestic terror attack were knife and car

not sure how guns had anything to do with it but if they want to go that route...how about looking at it this way then

if you look at these terror attacks closely.. you will notice the common thing that all these terrorists/psychos used in their attack

can you guess what it is ?



so.. um.. maybe we should have some sort of control - background checked required as well ?

it will help prevent these attacks no ?


how about knife control? pressure cooker control ? etc.. more control is needed after each attack right? what's next? i can't even go to home depot or some appliance store without show my ID too ?

it looks like they are treating the side effects but not the cause of the problem.




Oh stop would you. Every time we have another tragedy you all come out of the woodwork trying to prove your agenda to the masses. How about instead of screaming about more gun freedom or more gun control we all show a little bit of respect to the victims and not use this tragedy for personal gain? Wouldn't that be a little more decent? We can all discuss gun control to our hearts content at a later time. Show a little respect for those who were injured. Thank goodness nobody was killed which is a fact that I could use to prove my side of the argument if I so wished but this is not the time or the place in my opinion. How about we just wish all of the victims a speedy recovery instead? This argument isn't going anywhere and we can pick it up again tomorrow.


I am not sure. If a place has loose guns laws and someone died by a felon buying a gun at his local shop (Not that it can happen), wouldn't it be ignoring the elephant in the room to use said discussion as a springboard to assess faults within our society?
This argument doesn't necessarily have to be about guns. If someone dies by anything, say, unregulated medicine, or a legal loophole, wouldn't it be smart to address these concerns?

I don't quite see the difference between my advocacy for affordable mental health services and his stance on gun rights, other then the attack themselves are held by such a tenuous connection just because he didn't use a gun (If he did, we'd probably have someone else make the thread. Maybe that is a key difference, and in that case, I agree with you Straynger.

36560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Online
Posted 11/29/16

GenericMochi wrote:

The subject is a extremely EXTREMELY sensitive.
However the whole "I need a gun because he has one" mentality seems quite off.
It all derives from what society guns are raised from. (I.E Sweden, Japan Etc Etc)

I honestly have little to no problem with American Gun Laws. It's just the social support that comes with it.
It is easier to buy a gun than to seek out medical treatment because of how expensive it is.
It is cheaper to buy a bullet than to buy proper medication.

I agree with the advocates that states "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." But why is there little to no healthcare infrastructure to actually assisting the people doing the shooting sprees and to prevent it from happening it in the first place?

But that's is just my opinion in the whole mess.


I think a lot of it has to do with the social stigma of having a mental illness or seeing a therapist, rather than availability. Also some people don't want to lose their rights just because they had a case of depression or anxiety.

As a side note, studies have shown that mentally ill folks are far more likely to be victims of violence than to commit violence. And of some of the 'mentally ill' mass shooters we've had actually had access to mental care, had been taking medication (that may have even caused the psychosis in the first place).
776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / In a dumpster wit...
Offline
Posted 12/11/16
I feel like taking a 50 BMG rifle and walking onto a college campus, while holding a sign that says "MY GUN WILL PROTECT YOU". See how many people go crazy and call me a school shooter.
17969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 12/11/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


GenericMochi wrote:

The subject is a extremely EXTREMELY sensitive.
However the whole "I need a gun because he has one" mentality seems quite off.
It all derives from what society guns are raised from. (I.E Sweden, Japan Etc Etc)

I honestly have little to no problem with American Gun Laws. It's just the social support that comes with it.
It is easier to buy a gun than to seek out medical treatment because of how expensive it is.
It is cheaper to buy a bullet than to buy proper medication.

I agree with the advocates that states "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." But why is there little to no healthcare infrastructure to actually assisting the people doing the shooting sprees and to prevent it from happening it in the first place?

But that's is just my opinion in the whole mess.


I think a lot of it has to do with the social stigma of having a mental illness or seeing a therapist, rather than availability. Also some people don't want to lose their rights just because they had a case of depression or anxiety.

As a side note, studies have shown that mentally ill folks are far more likely to be victims of violence than to commit violence. And of some of the 'mentally ill' mass shooters we've had actually had access to mental care, had been taking medication (that may have even caused the psychosis in the first place).


this^
in arizona one bout of depression and you lose your right to own a gun forever. any mental illness will do it. even if its just social axiety.
and in arizona, out of every 11 mentally ill people, 10 are in prison and one is in a hospital.
and yeah, state run doctors in arizona have been im my experiance, dangerously incomptent. and in some cases, unable to communicate in english.
51306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16
I firmly believe in gun control, am a liberal (don't like being grouped with Democrats though) and I also own a 12 ga shotgun, a .30-06, a CZ 75B 9mm, and a S&W M&P .40. On top of my dresser are approximately 3,000 rounds combined for the guns I own. I guess I must hate myself for being for gun control and also owning guns. Or I could be like the majority of gun owners who are law abiding citizens and don't mind having to pass a background check to purchase a firearm. The only people worried about background checks and how "the man" wants to prevent them from owning full auto military hardware, are the people who really Should NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THEM. Seriously with these things called computers we have nowadays background checks don't even take that long, the longest I had to wait was an hour for my first handgun, and about 15 minutes for the others. Screaming against gun control lets the terrorists win, you know since being on the terror watchlist doesn't effect your ability to legally purchase a firearm in the slightest, which it really should but anti-gun control nuts scream bloody murder everytime that it is proposed.
48111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

One can inversely say "Why not Nuke Control?" Which many nations exercise. I don't think it is a good argument. Some people draw the line at guns, and there are several convincing criteria for doing so, namely the purpose of a tool and lethalness. Is it that hard to comprehend? We already banned bomb making, something I consider sensible measure, why can't I use your argument, saying "We banned bombs, why not knives?" I believe it is called "Slippery Slope" and a bit of a Strawman to assume everyone wants to ban guns entirely.



And another things, cars are already subject to several regulation not afforded to guns, including registration and competence testing. If we do so for cars, why not guns?

Note, I generally support gun rights as of now, I know nothing about the supposed loopholes, which should be closed even if they are not being exploited on a large scale if that were the case, but I just dislike bad arguments.


So I am only talking about the U.S.(specifically UT and TX which are the states I have the most familiarity with) but Gun ownership is subject to FAR FAR FAR more regulations than car ownership, in fact I don't think there are any laws/regulations associated with simple ownership if a car in most states. I personally was able to buy a car without a license or insurance at age 15(from a dealer) and the only thing I had to do was give the dealership all the money I had saved from working and get someone with a license to drive it home.

My point is that virtually all regulations around cars only come into effect if you want to use it on public roads, there are no laws regarding use on private property aside from having the consent of the property owner.


Finally, there is little actual data that shows that gun control has any significant affect on homicide or suicide rates. Most places that have implemented drastic changes in favor of making guns harder to legally obtain(such as when Australia did its mandatory buy back) see a short term increase in homicide, but then after 1-2 years it settles back down to where it would be expected. You also can see that after significant changes making guns easier to obtain that there is a short term decrease in homicides that then levels off after a few years.


Most of my sources can be found here:
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southwest Finland
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
No offence or anything but does american gun laws even exist?
Posted 12/12/16
Liberals blame lack of gun control for everything, yet it's the cities and states with strict gun control that have the most gun violence, but most liberals live in bizarro world so that's only natural.
25210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

DarkBlade19 wrote:

No offence or anything but does american gun laws even exist?


Well, yeah, they do. It varies from state to state. Usually, there are open carry permits, concealed carry permits, it's still illegal to carry a gun in certain areas like schools and courts, and buying a firearm involves providing ID, being an adult, and signing some forms that go on record proving you bought that particular firearm.
15306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16
Gun laws are typically created by politicians who have very little clue as to how the real world works. The only people you hurt when making gun laws to control their sales are law abiding citizens. Criminals get their weapons and ammo through less than legal channels, often by paying someone to go to a gun show and purchase a weapon for them. There's also a thing called "ghost guns", which are guns whose serial number has usually been filed off and these weapons have usually been used in another crime. These are fairly easy to obtain. I could drive down to the Hegenberger section of Oakland right now and pick one up for $600.
6185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16
Other people have commented on this much better then I have example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_UiEz5Uxs
27304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
Step 1: An attack happens.

Step 2: "We need gun control!"

Step 3: "No we don't, we need guns to protect ourselves."

Step 4: *Cue gun debate*

Step 5: End up not doing anything.


Repeat these steps over and over again.
557 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southwest Finland
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

Kavalion wrote:


DarkBlade19 wrote:

No offence or anything but does american gun laws even exist?


Well, yeah, they do. It varies from state to state. Usually, there are open carry permits, concealed carry permits, it's still illegal to carry a gun in certain areas like schools and courts, and buying a firearm involves providing ID, being an adult, and signing some forms that go on record proving you bought that particular firearm.

Doesn't feel like they do exist.
19109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
how is no one talking about how OBVIOUS it is now that there is a gun control agenda, for fuck sake HE HAD NO GUN
6071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

redokami wrote:

how is no one talking about how OBVIOUS it is now that there is a gun control agenda, for fuck sake HE HAD NO GUN


good point
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.