First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Humans is technically only one race
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago

MrAnimeSK wrote:


spear_bearer wrote:

Humans are one SPECIES, with several varieties or races.


You beat me to it. This.
We are the same species, not the same race.


You may be right
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denisovan#/media/File:Spread_and_evolution_of_Denisovans.jpg
Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
Ya, but there are like 30 genders..... so this could all be a lie
46651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 6 days ago

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Inb4 Amyas_Leigh posts.



Beat me to it. Race is just a social construct, biologically speaking there is nothing that proves the concept of race. We are just humans.
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago , edited 6 days ago
Well i guess it depends how one defines race. Either way liberals tends to oversimplify it sometimes.
24962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
We're not very genetically diverse after epidemics culled 80% of the population over and over again, no. Fortunately, we discovered antibiotics, so that particularly extinction event might not complete itself.
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
I mean humans are diverse. So there you kinda have it. Humans are amazing aren't they not.
17457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6 days ago


That's smoking hot
11779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
It has nothing to do with being a SJW if you say that human races don't exist (anymore). It's simply not proven (so far) that there are human races.
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago , edited 6 days ago
No i mean is aslong as you are cool it doesnt really matter. The thing is humans just have babies in general. Different species and races creates this and that, sure some main occurance may be responsible for this and that. But in general we have mixtures of DNA with different stuff so it doesnt really matter in general i think. Some may have DNA from arabians, chinese, japanese, mexican, spanish, french, english, portuguese, dutch, nigerian. Like it doesn't really matter to put it frankly

Its usually very boring to talk about.
2277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 6 days ago

Deyre wrote:


spear_bearer wrote:

Humans are one SPECIES, with several varieties or races. The dog is a subspecies of the grey wolf, with several varieties or races. Also, the term "race" has no significant scientific meaning. You may learn some things by reading the answers on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/10m8st/from_a_genetic_perspective_are_human_races/


The thing is we are technically one race.

Asians have like 15 to 30% dna from neanderthal.
Caucasians have 2-4% dna from neanderthal
Africans are pure homosapiens with no mixture from neanderthal.

Basically neanderthal are like known for having bigger brains but they are not the best good looking people to say the least : 3


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think he's quite handsome. Okay, no I really don't. I just sort of feel bad for the big headed dude. If only they had learned how to work together and didn't have so many problems with breeding. I think I remember reading that scientists didn't think the Neanderthal could breed as fast as homo sapiens. Or maybe it was just that they didn't work together in as large groups and use complex tools.

But yeah, we humans are only one race. Some of us may have a little more Neanderthal blood in us but that fact doesn't change that we are one species. Why are there no Neanderthal power groups? There are no Neanderthal supremacy groups. Nobody is worried about bringing back the pure Neanderthal race which is a bit sad I guess. The sad thing is that Neanderthal supremacy sort of makes more sense than white power at least if you look at it from a pure scientific view seeing as how we're really all one race whereas Neanderthals are a bit different.
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:


Deyre wrote:


spear_bearer wrote:

Humans are one SPECIES, with several varieties or races. The dog is a subspecies of the grey wolf, with several varieties or races. Also, the term "race" has no significant scientific meaning. You may learn some things by reading the answers on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/10m8st/from_a_genetic_perspective_are_human_races/


The thing is we are technically one race.

Asians have like 15 to 30% dna from neanderthal.
Caucasians have 2-4% dna from neanderthal
Africans are pure homosapiens with no mixture from neanderthal.

Basically neanderthal are like known for having bigger brains but they are not the best good looking people to say the least : 3


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think he's quite handsome. Okay, no I really don't. I just sort of feel bad for the big headed dude. If only they had learned how to work together and didn't have so many problems with breeding. I think I remember reading that scientists didn't think the Neanderthal could breed as fast as homo sapiens. Or maybe it was just that they didn't work together in as large groups and use complex tools.

But yeah, we humans are only one race. Some of us may have a little more Neanderthal blood in us but that fact doesn't change that we are one species. Why are there no Neanderthal power groups? There are no Neanderthal supremacy groups. Nobody is worried about bringing back the pure Neanderthal race which is a bit sad I guess. The sad thing is that Neanderthal supremacy sort of makes more sense than white power at least if you look at it from a pure scientific view seeing as how we're really all one race whereas Neanderthals are a bit different.



I kinda changed my mind. But the case it it doesnt matter so much because of it. I could write it again but just scroll up above and you'll see.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
Well, if you're using the word in the sense of 'common ancestry' or 'lineage' then you're right. But then again, if you go back far enough, dogs and humans are the same 'race,' and I find it sort of a useless thing to say. What possible point could you want to make with such a statement?

'Race' is a word used to draw distinctions between things, and pretending the distinction doesn't exist doesn't seem to me to help anything. Particularly when it describes actual biological differences. If I said, for example, "blacks have a higher incidence of heart attacks," it seems ridiculous to me to reply with, "there's no such thing as blacks, we're all just one race." It's a substantive distinction. Plus, you run the rather Orwellian risk of trying to erase an idea by erasing a word. It does no good telling an actual racist that there's no such thing as racism since we're all one race. They'll still behave the same way, and the behavior is what we ought to be concerned with. What the hell are we going to do if we can't even use words to describe or discuss the phenomenon? It's not, I think, what you're proposing, but it is incipient in your basic claim.
9102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 6 days ago
Your thread posts crack me up
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6 days ago , edited 6 days ago

theYchromosome wrote:

Well, if you're using the word in the sense of 'common ancestry' or 'lineage' then you're right. But then again, if you go back far enough, dogs and humans are the same 'race,' and I find it sort of a useless thing to say. What possible point could you want to make with such a statement?

'Race' is a word used to draw distinctions between things, and pretending the distinction doesn't exist doesn't seem to me to help anything. Particularly when it describes actual biological differences. If I said, for example, "blacks have a higher incidence of heart attacks," it seems ridiculous to me to reply with, "there's no such thing as blacks, we're all just one race." It's a substantive distinction. Plus, you run the rather Orwellian risk of trying to erase an idea by erasing a word. It does no good telling an actual racist that there's no such thing as racism since we're all one race. They'll still behave the same way, and the behavior is what we ought to be concerned with. What the hell are we going to do if we can't even use words to describe or discuss the phenomenon? It's not, I think, what you're proposing, but it is incipient in your basic claim.


The thing is humans are in definition diverse. Which is why you can or may trace DNA back to " arabians, chinese, japanese, mexicans, spanish, french, english, portuguese, dutch, nigerian (the list goes on)". So the point is it doesn't matter even if some ancestors may have made some big differences which i mentions of asians, caucasians and blacks. The point is it doesn't matter one dime, humans are in definition diverse and different and are that way and thats not a bad thing. Which concludes that the whole race thing is completely stupid more or less in terms of modern times.

Although i think disliking cultures is totally ok if you dont like it. Like if a culture has a pee culture i would say its crappy, wouldn't care if some was offended just common sense talking. Either way just be cool to people and thats ok.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6 days ago

Deyre wrote:


I don't see how they are diverse by definition. If there were two people that happened to be genetically identical, do they cease to be human? And what's more, I would assume that you wouldn't say that because dogs are diverse, they are human? This seems ridiculous. If the answer to both these questions is 'no,' then diversity seems to be neither necessary nor sufficient for humanity. As far as I know, humans are defined not by their diversity, but by their homogeneity. Roughly, that they have the common ability to reproduce with each other.

Regardless, it is a fact that we have differences. However, we also have similarities. And many of those similarities are passed down genetically, that is, via ancestry. Demarcating these similarities to draw distinctions seems to be the basis for separating races. Whether any particular distinction is meaningful, however, is another story. The problem with racial distinctions is not that they are racial, persay. It is, rather, that they are inaccurate. Saying "asians have a higher average IQ score than whites" is accurate. Saying "this person is dumber than that because one is asian and the other is white" is a method likely to come up wrong in a non-trivial number of cases.

Finally, I refuse to be cool to people. In fact, I firmly believe that agitation is an excellent motivation for development.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.