First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Anyone up for a god debate?
18652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

ImDivinity wrote:

allahu akbar?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2nByd2cr4

Fast forward to 0:17 to just get to it.

Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16
I can't find any logical reason to believe in God personally. The various religions around the world haven't given me any persuasive arguments that convince me of God's existence. Even disregarding religious institutions, I never felt that whole "divine presence" thing at any time during my life.

Meh. I think people just want answers for things they don't understand and religion provides answers that satisfy some people.
15202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

eviscery wrote:

I think there is a reason that all successful human societies have held some kind of religious belief. There must have been some kind of advantage to a collective belief in some form of supernatural entity. Otherwise we wouldn't see this kind of convergent evolution across the board.
My opinion on religion is that it is a natural adaption of the human race to help social cohesion in a time long before the concept of globalisation was even a thing. If it was not something that benefited humanities survival it would not have formed independently hundreds of times over.
Nonetheless religion is an affront to individualism and promotes a lack of self-awareness, creativity and originality. It's a blight on the modern world.

As to the 'god question' the answer is simple. God is as likely to exist as any other form of super natural being. Leprechauns, Vampires, Witches etc etc etc. There is no logical reason to believe in one without validating the existence of the others. This isn't to say we know God doesn't exist. Strictly speaking we cannot say with certainty that anything doesn't exist. We would have to explore the entirety of all existence to know for sure that there isn't a God hiding somewhere. Which is physically impossible.

Often we just believe what seems to make sense based on our knowledge and understanding of the world. God does not. So we can safely say there isn't a God.


I agree with you that religious beliefs definitely provide advantages and cohesion in societies. I think the USA is a pretty good example of a country that was once unified under similar values (which were largely religious) and whose values and convictions have fragmented to the point where its people can barely understand each other. Religion (especially monotheistic religions, and Christianity in particular) has huge benefits to society.

As for religion being an affront to creativity and self awareness... How so? I see the exact opposite in many cases, though it seems to depend a great deal on the religion.

I'm extremely interested in your claim that God is as likely to exist as any other form of super natural being. How do you support this claim? I mean... What if we had TONS of ancient accounts from all over the world over the course of millennia about vampires, but only one piece of folklore in Ireland about Leprechauns. The claim about vampires is still JUST as probable? What do you mean?

I completely agree with you on this point, though: often we DO just believe what seems to make sense based on our knowledge and understanding of the world. It just turns out that everyone's understanding of the world is a little different.
73 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16
Pffffft. Here's a God for Ya. Yato God of War, Calamity, and Depravity! -Noragami.
6636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/16
i hitched a ride to this planet 66 million years ago and not once have a seen anything you humans consider a god. and at first though those stories were meant to be entertaining in someway not taken seriously.
15202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

HeartDisease wrote:

I can't find any logical reason to believe in God personally. The various religions around the world haven't given me any persuasive arguments that convince me of God's existence. Even disregarding religious institutions, I never felt that whole "divine presence" thing at any time during my life.

Meh. I think people just want answers for things they don't understand and religion provides answers that satisfy some people.


I think I could have written this exact same thing not too long ago. There doesn't seem to be an easy argument that proves God's existence, and of course disproving his existence is impossible. I've certainly never "felt God," whatever that means. And I've certainly met some people who use religion as a crutch.

Whether God exists or not has always seemed like an important question to me--I mean, if he's not there, then I'm basically on my own to figure my life out. If he is there, then he probably knows better than me how to live my life. If he's not there, then all of history is basically an accident, and my life is basically pointless since I'm going to die anyway. If he's there, then he might have a plan for history, and there might be a purpose for me existing.
13315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16
This is why I don't bother with gods:

https://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them

This is about 50% or so of KNOWN gods. Probably many more unknown. Too much of a bother.
15202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

mutronbiphase wrote:

If you believe in god or don't how will it make a difference in your life?
Going from a believer to non believer didn't change how I acted, but it changed how I thought. I no longer had to "explain away" things that didn't jive with Christianity. I can now just accept the world how it is. It's like going from a foggy glass to a clear glass.


Belief or disbelief in God makes an enormous difference in your life--most people would agree with that. If changing your belief in God didn't affect your actions, then it sounds like you were taught to blindly repeat religious dogma. =/
15202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16

Dark_Alma wrote:

This is why I don't bother with gods:

https://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them

This is about 50% or so of KNOWN gods. Probably many more unknown. Too much of a bother.


My response would be the same as the second comment on that article:

"Theists reject those gods because...

1. The first commandment.

So already they are not rejecting gods individually but en masse.

2. Essentialism is for morons.

It isn't necessary to imagine a God for every silly thing we revere or do not understand. A god for the moon, one for the earth, one for gardening, one for war, another one for basket weaving, one for country music, and one for western. Multitheism is redundant and knee-jerking.

3. They haven't even heard of many of them.

Therefore theists would not in fact understand why you are atheists against monotheism because they are not in fact atheisting (hey it's your concept not mine) against many gods the same way you do.

Your argument is the result of lazy bean-counter reasoning with no substance or meaning invested in it and not surprisingly it turns to dust. If someone else wants to show me the tofu and potatoes I'm listening because so far this offering tastes like cardboard."
12381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16
Raise your hands and give you power to me like everyone did for Goku to gather power for his spirit bomb in the buu arc of DBZ, so that I may become a god!!!
13315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

thewhitemoogle wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

This is why I don't bother with gods:

https://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them

This is about 50% or so of KNOWN gods. Probably many more unknown. Too much of a bother.


My response would be the same as the second comment on that article:

"Theists reject those gods because...

1. The first commandment.

So already they are not rejecting gods individually but en masse.

2. Essentialism is for morons.

It isn't necessary to imagine a God for every silly thing we revere or do not understand. A god for the moon, one for the earth, one for gardening, one for war, another one for basket weaving, one for country music, and one for western. Multitheism is redundant and knee-jerking.

3. They haven't even heard of many of them.

Therefore theists would not in fact understand why you are atheists against monotheism because they are not in fact atheisting (hey it's your concept not mine) against many gods the same way you do.

Your argument is the result of lazy bean-counter reasoning with no substance or meaning invested in it and not surprisingly it turns to dust. If someone else wants to show me the meat and potatoes I'm listening because so far this offering tastes like cardboard."


I dare say you misunderstood me. I don't follow ANY god. Not the Christian, Aztec, Chinese, Japanese.

I am not saying I don't deal with any gods other than Yahweh.
12381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/10/16

thewhitemoogle wrote:

Your argument is the result of lazy bean-counter reasoning with no substance or meaning invested in it and not surprisingly it turns to dust. If someone else wants to show me the meat and potatoes I'm listening because so far this offering tastes like cardboard."


I'm vegan and that part offends me...
90896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:


ImDivinity wrote:

allahu akbar?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2nByd2cr4

Fast forward to 0:17 to just get to it.



Just a quick just so you know:
If you add &t=17 to the end of your URL, it will automatically skip to 0:17 for who ever clicks it. This also works for Crunchyroll videos.
73 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16

Madoka Kaname!

15202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

Dark_Alma wrote:


thewhitemoogle wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

This is why I don't bother with gods:

https://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_list_of_gods_but_nowhere_near_all_of_them

This is about 50% or so of KNOWN gods. Probably many more unknown. Too much of a bother.


My response would be the same as the second comment on that article:

"Theists reject those gods because...

1. The first commandment.

So already they are not rejecting gods individually but en masse.

2. Essentialism is for morons.

It isn't necessary to imagine a God for every silly thing we revere or do not understand. A god for the moon, one for the earth, one for gardening, one for war, another one for basket weaving, one for country music, and one for western. Multitheism is redundant and knee-jerking.

3. They haven't even heard of many of them.

Therefore theists would not in fact understand why you are atheists against monotheism because they are not in fact atheisting (hey it's your concept not mine) against many gods the same way you do.

Your argument is the result of lazy bean-counter reasoning with no substance or meaning invested in it and not surprisingly it turns to dust. If someone else wants to show me the meat and potatoes I'm listening because so far this offering tastes like cardboard."


I dare say you misunderstood me. I don't follow ANY god. Not the Christian, Aztec, Chinese, Japanese.

I am not saying I don't deal with any gods other than Yahweh.


Oh, yep, I think did. My apologies.

So you don't follow any god because...it's too much work to sift through them all?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.