Post Reply NHK news attributes idol culture to lack of love life in Japanese youth
33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/2/16 , edited 12/2/16
(I'm tempted to make a joke here regarding how NHK is a compiracy but I don't think everyone would get it...)

In a news show discussion current social issues, NHK blames the lack of love life among Japanese youth to manga and idol culture, specifically naming the idol group AKB48 as a main culprit.

Article with full text (Japanese)
http://www.j-cast.com/2016/11/28284602.html

Basically it says something like that when young people have their romantic emotions satisfied by things such as "hand shake sessions" with idols such as AKB48, they would be less inclined to seek out girlfriends.

Of course, this triggered online outrage among Japanese fans.

Normally I would slap a sticker written with "comically horrid causal mis-attribution" and call it a day (with some fans saying to the effect of "it's the reverse- We go to idols BECAUSE we don't want a relationship") but in this case I actually think it's NHK doing a good job of trolling for publicity. Here I am, talking about NHK too.


Notice how maid cafe, manga, and AKB48 handshake sessions were lumped in with stalking, sexual harassment, corrupt industry and sexless divorce... Good job.


#lolwut
14424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/2/16
They're just blaming everyone except the policies of the country itself. Amazing.
12844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 12/2/16
NHK:

terrible work culture that makes people work very long hours and stay very late at night for unpaid extra time because of the already established social norms in place as well as the prohibitive costs of maintaining a healthy relationship with a significant other?
the high costs of living that gave rise to 1000 yen or so capsule hotels? of course not, it's all due to anime, manga and the idol culture

(not a direct translation)
33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/2/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

NHK:

terrible work culture that makes people work very long hours and stay very late at night for unpaid extra time because of the already established social norms in place as well as the prohibitive costs of maintaining a healthy relationship with a significant other?
the high costs of living that gave rise to 1000 yen or so capsule hotels? of course not, it's all due to anime, manga and the idol culture

(not a direct translation)


yep yep it's allllllllllllllllllllll anime
14424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/2/16
Ah, then the answer is to make an anime encouraging people to have babies despite everything! Or a tax subsidy covering the entire cost of raising children, from food to clothes to their weird education system.
22232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 12/2/16 , edited 12/2/16
I am not even sure if the claim is entirely wrong, despite the prejudice bias against youth culture. It might contribute. I am not sure. I'd have to look up studies.
1103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Da UK
Offline
Posted 12/2/16
shouldn't a bunch of teens go to japan and then everything would be solved?
14424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/2/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I am not even sure if the claim is entirely wrong, despite the prejudice bias against youth culture. It might contribute. I am not sure. I'd have to look up studies.


A guy on YouTube asked a bunch of people about this topic, and their three main reasons were time, money, and loss of freedom.
22232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 12/2/16

gornotck wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I am not even sure if the claim is entirely wrong, despite the prejudice bias against youth culture. It might contribute. I am not sure. I'd have to look up studies.


A guy on YouTube asked a bunch of people about this topic, and their three main reasons were time, money, and loss of freedom.


Yeah, relationships are very restricting in terms of time and money. That I admit. Likely solutions would have to target youth it seems. It is harder to fix adults.
You must be logged in to post.