First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Lying is inefficient and impractical
7158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
Depends on what you see as a lie. If you're in a professional environment and there's a boss you can't stand, you can't just ignore them or act rude. I don't mean you have to kiss their ass but being pleasant to everyone around you would make work go faster if you don't have to deal with drama. Not to mention avoid being fired.

I've lied about reasons for calling out of work before. The key is to believe in the lie by mixing it with some truth.

As for personal matters, it's always best to be upfront about most issues.
qwueri 
20828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
A 'little white lie' is usually something like, "yeah, that dress looks great on you!", "your baby is so cute!", etc. Not much to keep track of, just basic courtesy to avoid ruffling someone's feathers.

Lying to try and avoid the consequences of another action or to slag someone else to make yourself look better is incredibly inefficient, though. Get caught, and you just look much worse than telling the truth.
14955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/3/16
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/lying
Lying has some big names speaking about it. Lying has really taken off as a celebrity, so it's no wonder that it's got such a big following, as an idol and as a concrete being.
40250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
It certainly is... if you're bad at it.
32 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

nanikore2 wrote:

When my wife suggests telling people a "white lie" as a solution to certain things I always object.

The way I explain to her my objections is this.

It has nothing to do with ethics or morality.

Think of it this way-

If you have to keep track of all of your little "stories" and have to keep them all straight, doesn't that involve effort?

Too much effort, for me.

I leave certain things unsaid. I redact. I don't have to blab everything to everyone all the time anyway- It's simply too much information.

Say and write as much as the other person needs to know. It smooths things just as much, if not more.

Lying is inefficient. Don't do it.



I will lie if the situation calls for it. Like if someone brings up one of those subjects that people love to debate about. I will just lie to them so they think I agree if I do not feel like fighting if not talking really doesn't fit the situation. Stuff like that I don't even care if I lose track of the lie and it upsets others. But I agree saying nothing can be better than saying something more times than not.

I also think people miss that lies can be really helpful and inspire others. For example, all fiction is lies, regardless the genre you love. But made up characters and stories can feel very real. They can cheer you up on a bad day, inspire you to do something positive in life or even influence you to become an artist.

Same thing with Acting, it is professional lying. But sane people know going that someone acting is playing a role. So it can be looked at positive. I always bring those examples up when people think all lying is bad (I know you were saying your point has nothing to do with morality talking to those who replied).

32 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

qwueri wrote:

A 'little white lie' is usually something like, "yeah, that dress looks great on you!", "your baby is so cute!", etc. Not much to keep track of, just basic courtesy to avoid ruffling someone's feathers.

Lying to try and avoid the consequences of another action or to slag someone else to make yourself look better is incredibly inefficient, though. Get caught, and you just look much worse than telling the truth.



Yeah when my wife asks me if something makes her look fat, pretty sure telling the truth, "Nope that outfit doesn't make you look fat. Your fat does!" Is another example of why many things are a gray area. A lie isn't always bad, and the truth isn't always good. Though I do envy people who think things are so simple. Must be nice not complicating things easier to relax.
Posted 12/3/16
No, lying is very useful. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't be hard to refrain from doing it.
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
i dun like lies
33234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/5/16 , edited 12/5/16

aeb0717 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:



Best just not to. Why do something inefficient?


Well, then we wouldn't have anime VA, now would we?


There's a difference in performing to entertain and performing to deceive


SirBacon12 wrote:

No, lying is very useful. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't be hard to refrain from doing it.


Easy for me


Khonshu wrote:


qwueri wrote:

A 'little white lie' is usually something like, "yeah, that dress looks great on you!", "your baby is so cute!", etc. Not much to keep track of, just basic courtesy to avoid ruffling someone's feathers.

Lying to try and avoid the consequences of another action or to slag someone else to make yourself look better is incredibly inefficient, though. Get caught, and you just look much worse than telling the truth.



Yeah when my wife asks me if something makes her look fat, pretty sure telling the truth, "Nope that outfit doesn't make you look fat. Your fat does!" Is another example of why many things are a gray area. A lie isn't always bad, and the truth isn't always good. Though I do envy people who think things are so simple. Must be nice not complicating things easier to relax.


I would just say it's not making her look fat, which would be the truth...


Khonshu wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

When my wife suggests telling people a "white lie" as a solution to certain things I always object.

The way I explain to her my objections is this.

It has nothing to do with ethics or morality.

Think of it this way-

If you have to keep track of all of your little "stories" and have to keep them all straight, doesn't that involve effort?

Too much effort, for me.

I leave certain things unsaid. I redact. I don't have to blab everything to everyone all the time anyway- It's simply too much information.

Say and write as much as the other person needs to know. It smooths things just as much, if not more.

Lying is inefficient. Don't do it.



I will lie if the situation calls for it. Like if someone brings up one of those subjects that people love to debate about. I will just lie to them so they think I agree if I do not feel like fighting if not talking really doesn't fit the situation. Stuff like that I don't even care if I lose track of the lie and it upsets others. But I agree saying nothing can be better than saying something more times than not.

I also think people miss that lies can be really helpful and inspire others. For example, all fiction is lies, regardless the genre you love. But made up characters and stories can feel very real. They can cheer you up on a bad day, inspire you to do something positive in life or even influence you to become an artist.

Same thing with Acting, it is professional lying. But sane people know going that someone acting is playing a role. So it can be looked at positive. I always bring those examples up when people think all lying is bad (I know you were saying your point has nothing to do with morality talking to those who replied).



If I don't want to get into a debate then I just keep quiet. Simple. If they keep talking I'll just say "So..... how's them Red Sox?"

Acting is performance to entertain, it is not deception because the audience already knows that it's a performance.

Fiction is the same- Entertainment. The audience know that it's entertainment and "not real".

I would lie if someone points a gun at my head and orders me to. Otherwise, nope- I can always get away with saying less or saying nothing.


qualeshia3 wrote:

The world can't handle the truth.


Just give small doses.
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/5/16
Lies are pretty easy, honestly. You'd me amazed how much you can get away with
27011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Wales, UK
Offline
Posted 12/6/16
You only need to remember your lies insofar as other people will remember those same lies. Even if they call you out on it, you can just insist they must be remembering things wrong - a little gaslighting is harmless between friends, right?
14955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/6/16
Try having someone who literally believes and remembers things happened slightly differently than they actually went down, then give them authority over you.
Minsc 
82475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / PEI, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/6/16

LunaTakimoto wrote:

Lying can be of use and is practical as mentioned a few posts up by ClothStatue "For example, if a child is LGBT+ and has a family that could hurt or disown them if they found out, lying is a means of survival" And its been mentioned multiple times of actors and cops.

It is practical and it is efficient depending on the situation.



I wouldn't call lying in that situation to be efficient. The only difference is the degree of inefficiency. Then you get into the lie that surrounds that family. Either the parents are in union with a lie for not accepting the LGBT+ child for who they are or the the child is in union with a lie for believing they are LGBT+. No matter the situation, one lie can be born out of another lie.


gornotck wrote:

Try having someone who literally believes and remembers things happened slightly differently than they actually went down, then give them authority over you.


That is when it becomes very important to not lie.
Posted 12/6/16


Shouldn't object your wife. We all have reasons to tell white lies. We tell them to make our life easier.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/6/16
all people ever do is lie
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.