First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Gotta get back into reading
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16 , edited 12/3/16
I need to start reading books again but I always, ALWAYS have a freaking problem with visualization. I can not visualize when I read and it SUCKS. I want to read books so that I can be a better writer. But can't do that when I can not visualize. I also forget to read where I left off too. Anyway I just miss the joys of reading again. I'll read a book once more but I just got to stick with it. Distractions does not help either. Anyone else feels like this. It doesn't have to be reading either.
I can write until I am blue in the face but will it make me better as oppose to reading to get better?


What do you think?


Enjoy!!!
40244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
Read comics/manga.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

thekevin4 wrote:

Read comics/manga.


I read those. I mainly referring to novels and not light novels.
40244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


thekevin4 wrote:

Read comics/manga.


I read those. I mainly referring to novels and not light novels.


Most comics/manga exhibit better writing than novels imo. Besides, don't look to other people's writing to improve your own. The best writing inspiration comes from within, write about what you know and have experienced and present it through the actions and words of your characters.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

thekevin4 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


thekevin4 wrote:

Read comics/manga.


I read those. I mainly referring to novels and not light novels.


Most comics/manga exhibit better writing than novels imo. Besides, don't look to other people's writing to improve your own. The best writing inspiration comes from within, write about what you know and have experienced and present it through the actions and words of your characters.


Thank you.
40244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
Just don't tell anyone that I was actually helpful for once... ruin my rep.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

thekevin4 wrote:

Just don't tell anyone that I was actually helpful for once... ruin my rep.


Sure.
1155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
Aside from visualization you also need verbalization to be able to describe what you see and imagine. Otherwise you won't be able to convey to your audience what is you're looking at or what it is you want them to see.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

Adjacent-Taurus wrote:

Aside from visualization you also need verbalization to be able to describe what you see and imagine. Otherwise you won't be able to convey to your audience what is you're looking at or what it is you want them to see.


True.
23042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
Walls of endless text put me to sleep XD

I must read manga or visual novels.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

Rujikin wrote:

Walls of endless text put me to sleep XD

I must read manga or visual novels.


Interesting.
23042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

Walls of endless text put me to sleep XD

I must read manga or visual novels.


Interesting.


What really sucks is going to college and being assigned to read 50-100 pages every 2 days by 4 different classes and falling asleep after the first 3 pages...
3705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
You may want to try books that have been adapted into comics or manga, that way you can see what the author is describing and study literary technique at the same time.
49164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/3/16

Rujikin wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

Walls of endless text put me to sleep XD

I must read manga or visual novels.


Interesting.


What really sucks is going to college and being assigned to read 50-100 pages every 2 days by 4 different classes and falling asleep after the first 3 pages...


That would suck.
qwueri 
23354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 12/3/16
You might be able to get the gist of some writing techniques from manga/comics, just keep in mind that there are certain elements like expression pages or dramatic stills that aren't going to translate well into a purely written format. The way dialogue flows, chapters end with hooks, and some character tropes tend to be shared between the two. It may be a worthwhile exercise to try to translate a manga chapter into written format to practice your visual elements and dialogue structure.

In trying to improve your writing, both reading and writing are important. But you should probably stick primarily to writing and read or whatever may help clear your head. I consume reading and other media quite a bit, it just makes it easier to spot and appreciate tropes and devices, not to actually write. Writing is like any other artistic skill, it takes alot of practice, examination of what worked and what you want to do differently, and more practice. Reading helps build your ability to critique and structure what your write.

I wind up listening to audio books more often than actually reading as of late. It gets too easy to binge on Netflix or CR. And sooner or later I'll get into anther reading kick. Don't stress over reading too much. If it's not feeling productive at the time, it may be worthwhile to look at other ways of clearing your head and getting ideas for stories. Don't take life experience for granted when getting ideas for plots and characters.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.