Post Reply Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
5857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 12/5/16 , edited 12/23/16
Hello! I looked around, but did not see an actual thread for this, so I was wondering:

Who all is looking forward to the new movie? Anyone else super excited to go see it? Or plan to buy it on DVD? Etc.?


Also, possible spoilers here, so just be careful reading
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 12/5/16 , edited 12/5/16
I've deliberately avoided all trailers and news about it (fairly successfully) so I am pretty excited to see it

I genuinely don't know a thing about it, so I should probably steer clear of this thread now that I think about it...
5857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 12/5/16

sirfincredible wrote:

I've deliberately avoided all trailers and news about it (fairly successfully) so I am pretty excited to see it

I genuinely don't know a thing about it, so I should probably steer clear of this thread now that I think about it...


XD Haha, okay! Sounds good! If you do check this, I must say the trailers are pretty great! So stay hyped for it!
4591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Akihibra
Offline
Posted 12/17/16
Everybody dies lol there saved u some money
11409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 12/17/16
I'm pumped. It looks like the first star wars movie that will actually feel like a war.
qwueri 
20446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 12/18/16
It feels a bit too much like Call of Duty towards the end, but still a fun watch.
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/19/16
Saw it, was painfully average but better than TFA.
27922 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16

Kerst wrote:

Saw it, was painfully average but better than TFA.


Weird, I thought it was the best Star Wars yet. Even better than Empire.
11409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 12/23/16
Man rogue one was so badass. I was right on the money when I speculated it would be the most war-like of the star wars films. The Empire are awesome villains, way more intimidating than the first order, and the de-aging effects were the best I have seen since Ant-Man, probably even better. I have two big complaints though. Firstly Donnie Yen was way too underutilised. He gets some great moments but the stunts he does don't seem to use him to his fullest. He can do waaay cooler shit than what he does in this movie. Secondly, I didn't like the actor who physically played Darth Vader in this movie. It's hard to explain but he moves way too much. Even when he's just walking down a hallway he does so woth a lot of movement and energy but in the original series he was very reserved and subtle. Neither of those are dealbreakers though, and I recommend anybody go see it if for no other reason than that fantastic space battle at the end. I definitely think it earns it's place among the celebrated space fights of the numbered films.
5857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 12/23/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Man rogue one was so badass. I was right on the money when I speculated it would be the most war-like of the star wars films. The Empire are awesome villains, way more intimidating than the first order, and the de-aging effects were the best I have seen since Ant-Man, probably even better. I have two big complaints though. Firstly Donnie Yen was way too underutilised. He gets some great moments but the stunts he does don't seem to use him to his fullest. He can do waaay cooler shit than what he does in this movie. Secondly, I didn't like the actor who physically played Darth Vader in this movie. It's hard to explain but he moves way too much. Even when he's just walking down a hallway he does so woth a lot of movement and energy but in the original series he was very reserved and subtle. Neither of those are dealbreakers though, and I recommend anybody go see it if for no other reason than that fantastic space battle at the end. I definitely think it earns it's place among the celebrated space fights of the numbered films.


I would totally agree! I finally got to see it yesterday, and it was awesome! The fact that they could bring some of the greatest characters back was fantastic!

Donnie Yen, most certainly, should have had some more epic action sequences. While he was used well, he could have been even greater!!

I also agree with the statement about Darth Vader. While he had some pretty epic sequences, he seemed kind of off from how Darth Vader should actually move. It was almost like the actor wanted to imitate the original too much, and tried too hard...



The film was fantastic though!! I was nervous near the beginning, as it seemed kind of...I don't know, just not Star Wars-esque...but it really picked up, and was totally epic!!!
6137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/26/16
I really liked the sense of desperation from Rogue One and the Rebel Alliance. Pretty much everyone was on edge, but pulled through in the end. Also awesome to see how precarious the situation was. There were times where I thought if this one person didn't intercept or successfully send a message, the entire ordeal (and the course of history) would be altered. The second half of the movie ties really well into the New Hope.

I think it was a better decision for Donnie Yen to not have such epic sequences. Having seen IP Man and his other movies, he definitely could pull it off. However, in those films, he's usually the main character. If he did the same sequences in Rogue One, I think he would overshadow Jyn and the rest of the cast. Speaking of the cast, I wish there were more characterization of the characters (besides Jyn). Perhaps the staff didn't develop the characters too much since this was only a stand-alone movie (as opposed to the usual Star Wars trilogies).
4591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Akihibra
Offline
Posted 1/10/17
a good movie
39161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/26/17 , edited 1/26/17

MysticGon wrote:


Kerst wrote:

Saw it, was painfully average but better than TFA.


Weird, I thought it was the best Star Wars yet. Even better than Empire.


I wouldn't go as far as to say it was better than Empire Strikes Back, but it was much better than The Force Awakens.

I avoided spoilers as though they were an evil cursed plague. Boy was I glad I did! The ending was a real freakin' treat! I went right on to watch A New Hope, afterwards. A lot of questions were answered. Now that senator's sad comment, "A lot of Bothins died getting these schematics," made it even more real.

I have to disagree on the Darth Vader critique.



Remember, he was trying to get to those stolen plans. He had to hurry.

Consider, that in his past (future?) battles, Obiwon stood toe to toe with Vader, until he let himself get cut down. In his fights with Luke, Vader used the Force a lot to through crap at Luke. So, he didn't have to move around too much, but as needed, Vader could leap long distances. In this case, however, he was chasing down them plans. He had to move quickly.
20077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 1/26/17
just saw it, I loved it, my fourth favorite film in the franchise
650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Chicago
Online
Posted 8/13/17
i laughed really hard when the little blob with the machine gun appeared!
You must be logged in to post.