First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply why school sucks
1153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Somewhere Drinking
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYC8K3UrFc

Good stuff very informative.
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:

if going to school is mandatory torture,

I can only imagine what you think getting a job and paying bills feel like.


at least its worthwhile
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16
I had this stupid LIT teacher who made us do Julius ceasar for almost half the fucking year, because she had a thing out for me
every piece of work she would hand back saying it was "wrong" even when it was right, fact cant be wrong lol I had multiple people re answer time and again, the answers, and every time they were wrong LOL so I ended up having this huge stack of work to do in detention , because of her little issue with me for what ever fucking reason she made our whole class do fuckin ceasar 6 months

I just begged theprinciple to give me a C and get done with it


"what was Julius killed by?"
"a knife" "WRONG"
Sogno- 
47831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:

if going to school is mandatory torture,

I can only imagine what you think getting a job and paying bills feel like.


paying bills sucks but it's nothing like the torture that was grade school ... doesn't even come close to the torture that was P.E.
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

redokami wrote:

I had this stupid LIT teacher who made us do Julius ceasar for almost half the fucking year, because she had a thing out for me
every piece of work she would hand back saying it was "wrong" even when it was right, fact cant be wrong lol I had multiple people re answer time and again, the answers, and every time they were wrong LOL so I ended up having this huge stack of work to do in detention , because of her little issue with me for what ever fucking reason she made our whole class do fuckin ceasar 6 months

I just begged theprinciple to give me a C and get done with it


"what was Julius killed by?"
"a knife" "WRONG"




9318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Vermont
Online
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16
I didn't hear many solutions out of this guy, all I heard was complaining. Math might not be the best thing for everyone, but basic math is a necessity of many careers. Advanced math might not be the most important thing for everyone, but it's not like you're required to take AP Calculus. I'm going to school for electrical engineering right now, and stuff like that is very relevant to me. I agree that English classes are pretty boring and repetitive, and maybe we shouldn't be required to take so many of them, but knowing how to speak and write properly in English is a pretty important skill. It sounds to me like he just went to a crappy school. I mean if science teachers aren't teaching actual science, what good are they. He talked about "how to drive class", and schools do have that. It's called Drivers Ed, and it's something that your parents should probably be teaching you in addition to how to do your taxes and how to leave a decent tip (which involves math by the way). I don't know if it was just my school, but we had a class called "Health Class" which did teach you about how to eat healthy and exercise. When it comes to college, no one is forcing you to go. It's a choice that you make in order to hopefully make a good living one day. If you pick a degree in a field that is actually hiring, then you are more likely to get a job. I'm at a college with a placement rate above 90%, and my GPA is 3.97, so I'm probably going to get a job when I graduate. Even if there aren't any jobs near where I am currently living, I would move anywhere if I could get a decent job. If you get a Liberal Arts degree or a Business degree, then it's no one's fault but your own that you can't find a job related to your degree. I'm sorry for ranting, but people who just complain about school without actually saying any ways to fix it annoy me. Are we just supposed to close down all of the schools and send people into the workforce when they are 12 or something?
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

Sogno- wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

if going to school is mandatory torture,

I can only imagine what you think getting a job and paying bills feel like.


paying bills sucks but it's nothing like the torture that was grade school ... doesn't even come close to the torture that was P.E.
I thought PE in primary school to be the most fun, sorry to hear it wasn't the same for you.
21698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

KingRider4 wrote:

I didn't hear many solutions out of this guy, all I heard was complaining. Math might not be the best thing for everyone, but basic math is a necessity of many careers. Advanced math might not be the most important thing for everyone, but it's not like you're required to take AP Calculus. I'm going to school for electrical engineering right now, and stuff like that is very relevant to me. I agree that English classes are pretty boring and repetitive, and maybe we shouldn't be required to take so many of them, but knowing how to speak and write properly in English is a pretty important skill. It sounds to me like he just went to a crappy school. I mean if science teachers aren't teaching actual science, what good are they. He talked about "how to drive class", and schools do have that. It's called Drivers Ed, and it's something that your parents should probably be teaching you in addition to how to do your taxes and how to leave a decent tip (which involves math by the way). I don't know if it was just my school, but we had a class called "Health Class" which did teach you about how to eat healthy and exercise. When it comes to college, no one is forcing you to go. It's a choice that you make in order to hopefully make a good living one day. If you pick a degree in a field that is actually hiring, then you are more likely to get a job. I'm at a college with a placement rate above 90%, and my GPA is 3.97, so I'm probably going to get a job when I graduate. Even if there aren't any jobs near where I am currently living, I would move anywhere if I could get a decent job. If you get a Liberal Arts degree or a Business degree, then it's no one's fault but your own that you can't find a job related to your degree. I'm sorry for ranting, but people who just complain about school without actually saying any ways to fix it annoy me. Are we just supposed to close down all of the schools and send people into the workforce when they are 12 or something?


my school didn't have drivers ed, my school didn't have home ec or how to do taxes etc
Vahvi 
3418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ever Changing
Online
Posted 12/6/16 , edited 12/7/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:


Sogno- wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

if going to school is mandatory torture,

I can only imagine what you think getting a job and paying bills feel like.


paying bills sucks but it's nothing like the torture that was grade school ... doesn't even come close to the torture that was P.E.
I thought PE in primary school to be the most fun, sorry to hear it wasn't the same for you.


I know right P.E. was great and maybe it's not for everyone but i've always had an athletic inclination. We did our stretches, exercised, ran a few miles, then it was either soccer, tennis, basketball, baseball, or dodgeball. But it was all at once, you went and chose what you were going to do. I enjoyed soccer, dodgeball, and in particular messing with the gymnastics equipment, including doing flips off the spring board. If only we had a rock wall or converted the track into an obstacle course, that would have been awesome.

Infact now that I think about it I need to check and see when the next tough mudder is coming up. I've done the Rugged Maniac 5k tough mudder 5 years in a row.
509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Perth, Scotland
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
TBH I wish school was fun like in most anime.
20524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
You guys on CR are always belly aching about school.

It's getting kinda sad.
22222 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
I really dislike the sexual harassment rules in school. It gives female students too much power to go to the teacher instead of easily resolving what may have been a small problem at best, because everyone loses their shit when a female student gets "harassed". There are some useful applications of it, but the whole point I want to make is "Grow a fucking pair of balls" in my case. Seriously. Have we not learned anything from Donglegate?

Debate has been restricted in a lot of cases, understandably so, but the negative repercussion of raising people in such a space is problematic when trying to get kids adjusted to the real world.
Posted 12/7/16
I dunno. I enjoy education altogether. I will say I absolutely despised my peers in high school.
This is primarily because I had to go to the high school starting in 7th grade because my middle school didn't have a gifted/advanced course in STEM fields (yeah, I know - I'm old, deal with it) and they sent me to the nearest high school in the morning for Biology/Chemistry/Geometry (Trigonometry in 8th grade). So even when I was officially in high school, I had to take slack from seniors and juniors who had known me in classes beforehand, and take classes with them (and not with my actual grade).

This meant the few classes I had with those of my year (like Physical Education) were annoying as most of them acted as though I was the bad guy/nerd type (which, the former.. I admit). Graduated two years early and went to college (which was significantly better). But school itself was pretty awesome (I still want to go back to college again and get a degree in pharmaceutical science so I can get into biostatistics a bit more).
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.