First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Malta has banned gay conversion therapy
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

GOOD





Malta has become the first European country to ban gay conversion therapy.
The bill against the practice, which aims to "cure" a non-heterosexual person of their sexuality, was voted through unanimously.
Under the new law, anyone who tries to "change, repress or eliminate a person's sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression" will be fined or even jailed.
Professionals will face heftier fines of up to 10,000 euros (£8,450/$10,700).
They could also be jailed for up to a year, according to Malta Today.

The bill also enshrines in law that "no sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression constitutes a disorder, disease or shortcoming of any sort".
Malta was named the best European country for LGBT rights by advocacy group ILGA-Europe in 2015.
'Unethical'
Gay conversion therapy has increasingly come under the spotlight in recent years, but remains more popular in the US than in Europe.
Its supporters claim it uses standard psycho-therapeutic and counselling techniques so people can change or reduce their "homosexual tendencies" of their own free will.
But the World Psychiatric Association has denounced the practice as unethical, unscientific and harmful to those who undergo it.
Two years ago, NHS England and the Royal College of Psychiatrists - along with 12 other organisations in the UK - signed an agreement which called it "potentially harmful and unethical".
It has also been banned on minors in several places in the US, including California and Illinois.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38230937?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
Don't get me wrong, that's fantastic but how is this the first European country to do this?
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
this is good
83778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/8/16


What exactly does this mean anyway? If a gay or trans person goes into a professionals office and says that they are gay or trans and wants psychiatric help because they think there may be some underlying reasons for this are they going to have be to told that they are normal and to get out of the office or the professional faces fines? If a person that is gay or trans and wants to change himself, so he starts hurting himself when he has gay/trans thoughts, what exactly is going to happen to him that wouldn't have without the law (which should be counseling to try to dissuade him from harming himself)? Professionals shouldn't be encouraging people to hurt themselves regardless and doing so should have financial repercussions (including loss of license) regardless of such a law.
15744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Don't get me wrong, that's fantastic but how is this the first European country to do this?


Because it is generally not an issue over here, though cases do crop up occasionally. The few times I have heard about it in the news are through the actions of small christian groups. That isn't to say that other groups aren't involved, just that the christians are the only ones brash enough to place an advert on a London bus http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-17693947
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

MidoriNoTora wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Don't get me wrong, that's fantastic but how is this the first European country to do this?


Because it is generally not an issue over here, though cases do crop up occasionally. The few times I have heard about it in the news are through the actions of small christian groups. That isn't to say that other groups aren't involved, just that the christians are the only ones brash enough to place an advert on a London bus http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-17693947


Wow... that's um... that's a bus advert alright. Good to know that's not a big issue there though.
Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Because it is generally not an issue over here, though cases do crop up occasionally. The few times I have heard about it in the news are through the actions of small christian groups. That isn't to say that other groups aren't involved, just that the christians are the only ones brash enough to place an advert on a London bus http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-17693947


Wow... that's um... that's a bus advert alright. Good to know that's not a big issue there though.


Which was pretty much my reaction to the latest "Oh noez, they passed an anti-gay law in Upper Slobovia, we'll be rounded up next!" thread--
Yep, that's, um....that's a Maltese ruling, all right. Guess they know how to make a Maltese cross.

Also, the bus ad was a deliberate fed-up parody of the latest in-your-face schoolyard chip-shouldered pro-gay ad.
Just like we all started parodying "Black lives matter!", you don't win supporters and influence people by saying "Get over it!"
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

Ejanss wrote:

Which was pretty much my reaction to the latest "Oh noez, they passed an anti-gay law in Upper Slobovia, we'll be rounded up next!" thread--
Yep, that's, um....that's a Maltese ruling, all right. Guess they know how to make a Maltese cross.


...huh?
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
Therapy for mental illness and perversions is 'unscientific', but stunting a child's growth and mutilating their genitalia because the parent's feel it may be 'trans' is perfectly scientific and ethical.





Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Therapy for mental illness and perversions is 'unscientific', but stunting a child's growth and mutilating their genitalia because the parent's feel it may be 'trans' is perfectly scientific and ethical.


So...we should dump them in vats of toxic chemicals? I'm just not getting the page-sized Artistic Graphic, here.
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

Ejanss wrote:


So...we should dump them in vats of toxic chemicals? I'm just not getting the page-sized Artistic Graphic, here.


Lmao
So voluntary therapy and prayer is 'dumping them in vats of toxic chemicals'?
Do they also turn them into lampshades and bars of soap?
11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


So...we should dump them in vats of toxic chemicals? I'm just not getting the page-sized Artistic Graphic, here.


Lmao
So voluntary therapy and prayer is 'dumping them in vats of toxic chemicals'?
Do they also turn them into lampshades and bars of soap?


-_-

He was referring to your use of the image of the Joker.
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


So...we should dump them in vats of toxic chemicals? I'm just not getting the page-sized Artistic Graphic, here.


Lmao
So voluntary therapy and prayer is 'dumping them in vats of toxic chemicals'?
Do they also turn them into lampshades and bars of soap?


-_-

He was referring to your use of the image of the Joker.


Yeah I don't really read capeshit since SJWs took over comics. Its a good reaction image tho
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
What's a Malta? Is that some sort of candy?

15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/16 , edited 12/7/16
From just that snippet, sounds like a change for the better but admittedly I am not an expert on conversion therapy.

Dogempire wrote:

What's a Malta? Is that some sort of candy?


Malta is one of the main characters of Murakami's "The Windup Bird Chronicle"

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.