First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Outlawing Abortion
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

octorockandroll wrote:

False equivalence.


Perhaps in your mind. Death is death to me. Many shootings are just as preventable as abortion, suicide and many types of accidents (seatbelts).

But the topic here is abortion, so I won't go any further off topic here.
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

uncletim wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:


uncletim wrote:


Really? I have yet to see a case of some one walking into a school and committing a mass abortion yet I can point to several were someone walked into a school and committing a mass shooting. Would you like me to link them for you?


Don't be a smart ass. How many abortions do students have every year? I bet more kids die from an overdose or suicide than a mass shooting. In fact I'd be willing to bet mass shootings account for the least amount of dead students when compared to things like Cancer, auto accidents, falls, drownings per year...

So that makes mass shootings in schools is alright because the kids are just going to kill themselves anyways? Wow that is pretty brutal



Don't put words in my mouth. It's cheap.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

Xxanthar wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

False equivalence.


Perhaps in your mind. Death is death to me. Many shootings are just as preventable as abortion, suicide and many types of accidents (seatbelts).

But the topic here is abortion, so I won't go any further off topic here.


But an abortion is the prevention of creating life, not creating death. By the time there is any chance of the fetus being truly alive (i.e. has brain activity) the abortion process is disallowed unless going through birth will physically endanger the mother. At least that's how it is up here.
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

False equivalence.


Perhaps in your mind. Death is death to me. Many shootings are just as preventable as abortion, suicide and many types of accidents (seatbelts).

But the topic here is abortion, so I won't go any further off topic here.


But an abortion is the prevention of creating life, not creating death. By the time there is any chance of the fetus being truly alive (i.e. has brain activity) the abortion process is disallowed unless going through birth will physically endanger the mother. At least that's how it is up here.


Abortion is destroying a life.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

Xxanthar wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

But an abortion is the prevention of creating life, not creating death. By the time there is any chance of the fetus being truly alive (i.e. has brain activity) the abortion process is disallowed unless going through birth will physically endanger the mother. At least that's how it is up here.


Abortion is destroying a life.


No. That would mean you could destroy what isn't present.

Also seatbelts do not and will not stop deaths from car accidents.
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

But an abortion is the prevention of creating life, not creating death. By the time there is any chance of the fetus being truly alive (i.e. has brain activity) the abortion process is disallowed unless going through birth will physically endanger the mother. At least that's how it is up here.


Abortion is destroying a life.


No. That would mean you could destroy what isn't present.

Also seatbelts do not and will not stop deaths from car accidents.


You can twist and spin it all you like, abortion is the destruction of life in my opinion, and it always will be. The 'prevention of creating life' is a wearing a jimmy hat, or being on some other form of birth control.

There is no way I'm going to argue about seatbelt safety here with you.
35661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/13/17

Xxanthar wrote:
You can twist and spin it all you like, abortion is the destruction of life in my opinion, and it always will be.


Well, fortunately for women everywhere your opinion isn't medical science.

;p



378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / In the Mountains
Offline
Posted 12/8/16
When I was younger I was for a women's right to choose. Now not so much (especially after having children - I couldn't even imagine killing those children now)! I think responsibility is really what the issue is about. Their are so many prevention methods available. I know - What about rape victims - 5% of rape victims get pregnant (estimated) 32,000 a year (if these numbers are even correct. I don't trust polls anymore! This would probably be the only exception to the rule. The rest - take responsibility (that is both partners). Abortion is like a way to erase a mistake at the cost of a life. I'm sorry but an adult would not use this as course of action but an immature individual will - that probably should not be engaging in sex anyway. Should we make it illegal - not really the issue - eradicate the idea like the anti smoking campaign. Make it an unacceptable option. We should not take the consequences away. If you are going to engage in sex you should be ready to except those consequences. I could not even imagine what it would be like to ask a women to kill her baby or what that women would go through after and scars that would leave on her for the rest of her life.

11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 12/8/16

Xxanthar wrote:

You can twist and spin it all you like, abortion is the destruction of life in my opinion, and it always will be. The 'prevention of creating life' is a wearing a jimmy hat, or being on some other form of birth control.


I'm not twisting anything, I am simply stating fact, not opinion as you claim. Whether or not you are alive depends on whether or not your brain shows consistent EEG patterns, which only show up in fetuses at the 25th week of gestation at the earliest, and even that is a speedy development. That's nothing but the raw truth.
Yiggi 
43 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/9/17
Keeping abortion legal doesn't mean that every single woman will get one; it just means that those that need one have the option of getting one. On top of that, getting a safe (safer) one, and not having to resort to desperate and unsafe methods, because it's not like every single woman is going to go "Oh, abortions are banned, I guess I'll just carry this baby to term and pop it out."

Also, it's really interesting how conservatives cry that getting an abortion is destruction of human life and all that, but the definitely sentient, definitely existing out in the world woman's life isn't taken into consideration. How many women will die because they didn't have access to a safe abortion, whether they needed it because they were raped, found out something was desperately wrong with the pregnancy, or just didn't feel they were ready to successfully take care of another human being?

Being anti-abortion isn't "pro life" it's being "anti choice".
Apparently women aren't people, but fetuses are.
42349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
suffering
Offline
Posted 12/8/16
If it doesn't affect you besides offending your moral fiber why do you think you have a right to control it?
It's not as if your mother attempted to abort the majority of you but failed and instead somehow you slithered out of her hole, it's literally just being offended, usually for a religious reason.

Can't you differentiate between 'what does affect me' and 'what doesn't affect me'?

There's not really any degeneracy in women you dont fucking know getting rid of fetuses you generally don't fucking care about that you'd otherwise usually be paying for with welfare costs deducted from taxpayer dollars.
8923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Online
Posted 12/8/16

EarthLight22 wrote:


geauxtigers1989 wrote:

If only these Republicans cared about real people as much as they care about unwanted zygotes.


Strictly speaking, I don't think they necessarily care about people or unborn babies. they care about votes. Conservative Christians think that human life begins at conception that abortion is literally murder. So for people who strongly believe this, restricting abortion rights is an important issue. Conservative Christians are a big part of the Republican base, so even if it doesn't make sense to people who don't belong to that group, lawmakers who go against abortion rights are doing what many of the people who voted for them want.


I'm not just talking about lawmakers. The pro-life movement in general, at least on the Republican side, is FoS.
xxJing 
40074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 12/8/16 , edited 8/9/17
Honestly, I am for abortion, but not for any moral reason.

If a woman who isn't fit to be a mother is forced to become one, then there is a good chance that child will become a burden not just to its parents, but to society as well.
12180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 12/8/16

Yiggi wrote:

Keeping abortion legal doesn't mean that every single woman will get one; it just means that those that need one have the option of getting one. On top of that, getting a safe (safer) one, and not having to resort to desperate and unsafe methods, because it's not like every single woman is going to go "Oh, abortions are banned, I guess I'll just carry this baby to term and pop it out."

Also, it's really interesting how conservatives cry that getting an abortion is destruction of human life and all that, but the definitely sentient, definitely existing out in the world woman's life isn't taken into consideration. How many women will die because they didn't have access to a safe abortion, whether they needed it because they were raped, found out something was desperately wrong with the pregnancy, or just didn't feel they were ready to successfully take care of another human being?

Being anti-abortion isn't "pro life" it's being "anti choice".
Apparently women aren't people, but fetuses are.


I have a few personal reasons for hating the very concept of abortion (personal, not religious or philosophical) but your reasons are why I'm firmly in the camp of pro-choice. I've seen cases like those you describe that have messed with the head of the mother and the body/health of the child. People who think there is no reason for abortion have obviously never seen a child born without or with malformed internal organs (which happens quite a bit in cases of incest or incestuous rape, drug/alcohol use by the mother or just plain old-fashioned birth defects). The pain and suffering they endure not to mention the shortened life-span of both mother and child can be devastating to an entire family not just the two people mentioned. I agree that it's a women's body, her choice not mine nor anybody else's to make.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.