First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Tokyo / Akihabara Diary (Anime Edition)
33334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

Joncaido wrote:

Visit any themed cafes while you were there?

The only ones I've ever visited were the Gundam Cafe and Maid Dreamin. The Gundam Cafe was pretty cool, they'd play music and video clips from the shows and the food and drinks were named and even shaped like Moble Suits. I got a Zaku themed fried rice with a drink named after Ramba Raal.



Maid Dreamin was pretty fun too, the girls there spoke English pretty well and they even had English menus. It's a fun experience and I don't want to spoil anymore than I'd like to.


Nope, because my wife wanted to "eat real food"......... Of course, "real food" isn't the point of going to those places, it's to get a love omurice made with LUV!

At least I did get to see quite a few maids, more on that later. Though, of course no pics of them...
21029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Nope, because my wife wanted to "eat real food"......... Of course, "real food" isn't the point of going to those places, it's to get a love omurice made with LUV!

At least I did get to see quite a few maids, more on that later. Though, of course no pics of them...


Same reason we didn't go. The food looked terrible plus the wait was too long. Plus the wife doesn't know anything about Gundam. But I kinda wanted to go just to get some overpriced girly drink.
33334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

zangeif123 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Nope, because my wife wanted to "eat real food"......... Of course, "real food" isn't the point of going to those places, it's to get a love omurice made with LUV!

At least I did get to see quite a few maids, more on that later. Though, of course no pics of them...


Same reason we didn't go. The food looked terrible plus the wait was too long. Plus the wife doesn't know anything about Gundam. But I kinda wanted to go just to get some overpriced girly drink.


Oh WAIT I almost totally forgot about my overpriced girly drink! I got it just because I wanted the anime promo item that went with it, couldn't have cared less about the drink itself
35264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

CaelK wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

Sounds fun.

I never really do anything when I go to Japan. I just go home and just eat and watch tv. Then I'm wondering why the airplane seats are smaller on the ride back.


Doujin markets? Castles! Battlefields. Compare that to America, which only has modern history.

I guess it kinda depends on where you live though, or if you go there on a non-Japanese passport (discount JR rides) and want to bring some Japanese people along (who can't get discount JR rides). I guess you'd at least have a car. Well... depending. ^_^;
The US has more than just modern history. lol

I live in the middle of nowhere but I just take a plane to Hiroshima and just use local trains from there. I can't buy a JR pass but it doesn't really matter because I don't really use the trains because I have a motorcycle.
699 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Tower of Barbs
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Nope, because my wife wanted to "eat real food"......... Of course, "real food" isn't the point of going to those places, it's to get a love omurice made with LUV!

At least I did get to see quite a few maids, more on that later. Though, of course no pics of them...


Oh yeah, when I went to Maid Dreamin, our maid offered to make ketchup art on our omelettes. I was going to ask for something lewd, but I didn't want to put her in an awkward situation, so I just asked for a cat. Because a cat is fine too.

21029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 12/10/16

nanikore2 wrote:


zangeif123 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Nope, because my wife wanted to "eat real food"......... Of course, "real food" isn't the point of going to those places, it's to get a love omurice made with LUV!

At least I did get to see quite a few maids, more on that later. Though, of course no pics of them...


Same reason we didn't go. The food looked terrible plus the wait was too long. Plus the wife doesn't know anything about Gundam. But I kinda wanted to go just to get some overpriced girly drink.


Oh WAIT I almost totally forgot about my overpriced girly drink! I got it just because I wanted the anime promo item that went with it, couldn't have cared less about the drink itself


I went to a One Piece cafe and got a drink just because I wanted the coaster it comes with. The drink tasted like it had no alcohol in it. It was strait up $10 glass of blue juice.
CaelK 
25373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

CKD-Anime wrote:
The US has more than just modern history. lol

I live in the middle of nowhere but I just take a plane to Hiroshima and just use local trains from there. I can't buy a JR pass but it doesn't really matter because I don't really use the trains because I have a motorcycle.


Meh... colonial period's close enough I call it modern. ^_^;; City tourism's just gonna be like that, unless you wanna go to a desert or a mountain or something.

But ugh, Hiroshima. Can't say I'm too familiar with stuff around there, except the usual Peace Park and Itsukushima, but if you've lived in the area you've probably been around. But well... I dunno what sort of stuff you'd want to see or if you even want to go out at all, but just in case ya do and you don't mind the drive... and you haven't already been...

The more obscure stuff I've seen around that area is in Okayama. The city itself has some Momotarou sites, and you have a motorcycle, so getting to Ki no Jyou (鬼ノ城) isn't going to be a pain. Miyamoto Musashi's birthplace a ways north in Mimasaka, and one of his graves is there. The Bizen Osafune Swordsmith Museum is off further east (備前長船刀剣博物館), and they do smithing demonstrations like, one Sunday each month or something (check their site). Ako Castle is around that area too, if you like the Chuushingura, but it's mostly ruins now and there's not much else around.

The garden in Okayama is pretty great too. Everyone goes there and it should be obvious, but shoutouts either way.

... That's about the best I can do, in case it helps. ^_^;;
35264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16

CaelK wrote:
Meh... colonial period's close enough I call it modern. ^_^;; City tourism's just gonna be like that, unless you wanna go to a desert or a mountain or something.
I'm saying there is more to do than just historical sites.




... That's about the best I can do, in case it helps. ^_^;;
I honestly don't really care for historical sites.

And I never asked for advice about places in my original post, just making a joke about the difference when people travel to Japan and do so much stuff. When I only really go back to Japan to visit my family and friends, so I end up eating and drinking alot. It's like a 1-2 week long party. Last time I was home, I drank way too much and then went to the onsen, passed out, then I was sick for the next couple days. Couldn't keep any food down, it sucked because I missed out on alot of good food.
CaelK 
25373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

CKD-Anime wrote:
It's like a 1-2 week long party. Last time I was home, I drank way too much and then went to the onsen, passed out, then I was sick for the next couple days. Couldn't keep any food down, it sucked because I missed out on alot of good food.


Ah, fair enough mate. Just did it as a just in case thing - wasn't too sure where you were coming from, but message boards can take a while 'fore you hear anything. ^_^;

But the week long parties... heh, kinda wish I knew a buncha people up there to have a blast with, but I've had enough bad nights that I like being more careful. I mean, we all know the triple shot's fun at the time, but I still wish I could pass out for the worst of it...
8164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 12/13/16

CKD-Anime wrote:


CaelK wrote:
Meh... colonial period's close enough I call it modern. ^_^;; City tourism's just gonna be like that, unless you wanna go to a desert or a mountain or something.
I'm saying there is more to do than just historical sites.




... That's about the best I can do, in case it helps. ^_^;;
I honestly don't really care for historical sites.

And I never asked for advice about places in my original post, just making a joke about the difference when people travel to Japan and do so much stuff. When I only really go back to Japan to visit my family and friends, so I end up eating and drinking alot. It's like a 1-2 week long party. Last time I was home, I drank way too much and then went to the onsen, passed out, then I was sick for the next couple days. Couldn't keep any food down, it sucked because I missed out on alot of good food.


Did you grow up there? I'm asking because in my case, I've never cared for the usual tourist spots in the Philippines. I really have little to no desire to visit the country and the last time I did, it was for a crisis. Although going to a ryokan/onsen and getting drunk fits my definition of a vacation (I did it when we went to Nagano).
39336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Shinjuku, Tokyo
Offline
Posted 12/13/16 , edited 12/13/16
Nanikore2, It looks like you managed very well without me ^.^ I'm glad you had a great time. I went to Odaiba last weekend and it was one of the best places in Tokyo that I've visited so far, absolutely beautiful. Final question, what would you rate Aki out of 10 with 10 being best?
21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/13/16
The train station picture is quite funny. I wonder if it is ever as empty as it is in the anime, maybe the artist just imagined it.
35264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 12/13/16

AlastorCrow wrote:
Did you grow up there? I'm asking because in my case, I've never cared for the usual tourist spots in the Philippines. I really have little to no desire to visit the country and the last time I did, it was for a crisis. Although going to a ryokan/onsen and getting drunk fits my definition of a vacation (I did it when we went to Nagano).
Yes, I grew up in Japan. I don't really care for touristy places in general, whether its Japan, the US, or elsewhere. Probably because I lived somewhat close to the one of the biggest tourist traps in Japan, Miyajima. I don't really care for Tokyo either, I'll go there for shopping and food but thats about it.

I'm kinda in the same boat, but for me, I have no desire to work in Japan. But I get homesick, so I usually go back once or twice a year, for several reasons. Besides family/friends, I'm terrible at cooking Japanese food and I live in St. Louis so I can't get home-style meals here. (etc, etc)


Ah, fair enough mate. Just did it as a just in case thing - wasn't too sure where you were coming from, but message boards can take a while 'fore you hear anything. ^_^;
No problem.
33334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/18/16 , edited 12/18/16

RoachSandeson wrote:

what would you rate Aki out of 10 with 10 being best?


It kind of depends what I would rate it for. If I rate it for geek stuff, I would rate it 11/10 because the place is pretty much built for geeks from the beginning (before the anime geeks, it was for the electronics geeks, and before electronics geeks... I forgot what exactly I learned from that documentary I watched...)

For convenience, I'd still say 10/10, at least where I stayed because there's that supermarket plus two ramen shops right across the street, and in town itself there's that food mall on the 8th floor of the electronics store. Akihabara station itself is a big transportation hub.

For other stuff, I don't know because I'm not sure what other stuff people go to Akihabara for, lol.


goodman528 wrote:

The train station picture is quite funny. I wonder if it is ever as empty as it is in the anime, maybe the artist just imagined it.


Well, maybe it's off-peak... But there were some stations that weren't nearly as crowded. I think where I took the pic was actually the most crowded during my whole visit. I never go when people are going to or from work/school because most of the time I just sleep late...
One Punch Mod
116819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/23/17
Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no new posts since 12/31/2016.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.