First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply People on this forum need to learn how to make actual points in a real discussion
33032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 3/3/17

Edit: Apparently there has been some confusion regarding what an "expectation" is. It's not "what'd you expect out of this forum?" but "what'd you expect out of people ONCE THEY DECIDE TO ENTER A DEBATE"

Here's an explanation that's hopefully on a level everyone can understand...

On a playground, kids can basically play any way they want and fool around any way they want, UNTIL they get into a game with rules. THEN they are expected to play by the rules.

If you don't like games with rules, then don't play. Nobody's forcing you. BUT once you step into a play court where there are rules, you'd either need to go by those rules or go off to the side and not get in the way.


Okay don't listen to me- Listen to someone else who restated the entire thing this way:


BlueOni wrote:

So basically what's being asked for is that if one is to involve themselves in a serious discussion they should:

1. Provide supporting evidence for claims made either at the outset or upon request rather than merely insisting that something is so because one has said it is.

2. Engage the substance of peoples' arguments rather than merely striking out at irrelevant personal details in a character assassination attempt.

3. Substantiate accusations that this argument or that is ridiculous (which is basically in the same spirit as the above).

4. Avoid making broad general associations based on irrelevant superficial characteristics or stereotyping.

5. Give due consideration to adequately substantiated opposing points even if one thinks they've made a solid, successful case for their perspective.

I have no objection to any of these standards, and while I may not have a perfect record for following them (no one does, really) they nevertheless essentially describe how I try to participate in discussions here. This seems reasonable to me.


original post:
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 3/4/17
Teaching the people here to make actual arguments would be nice, but probably not a goal that will bar fruit, unfortunately.
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16
What's your point?
12848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 3/4/17
discussion where people make logical arguments and assertions backed by evidence. that would be nice, but it would require people to act maturely. when it comes to controversial, heated topics like the election / politics, that might be expecting a bit much.
33032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/10/16

Xxanthar wrote:

What's your point?


Learn how to argue correctly.


namealreadytaken wrote:

discussion where people make logical arguments and assertions backed by evidence. that would be nice, but it would require people to act maturely. when it comes to controversial, heated topics like the election / politics, that might be expecting a bit much.


They can't do it in the philosophical threads I started, either.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16

Xxanthar wrote:

What's your point?



nanikore2 wrote:please, learn how to make an actual argument


They were being pretty clear :/
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 1/5/17

nanikore2 wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

What's your point?


Learn how to argue correctly.


Correct according to you? Were you appointed debate moderator while I was sleeping? This is not a debate forum, it's open discussion. I'm sorry if my posts do not fall within you excepted standards, but I don't really care about your standards.
12848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16

Xxanthar wrote:
Correct according to you? Were you appointed debate moderator while I was sleeping? This is not a debate forum, it's open discussion. I'm sorry if my posts do not fall within you excepted standards, but I don't really care about your standards.


you're free to write however you please. just don't expect people to take your arguments seriously.
the OP is just asking people to be more mature when discussing in the forums, which i can't say i disagree.
discussions often end up with people doing ad-hominen attacks until a mod finally steps in and either deletes the offending posts, or in the extreme case closes the thread itself.
33032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Correct according to you? Were you appointed debate moderator while I was sleeping? This is not a debate forum, it's open discussion. I'm sorry if my posts do not fall within you excepted standards, but I don't really care about your standards.


Stop being so full of yourself. Not every post is about you and don't make this one about you either.

Do you care about logic? Do you care about "making sense"? Do you care about "making an actual point"?
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

you're free to write however you please. just don't expect people to take your arguments seriously.
the OP is just asking people to be more mature when discussing in the forums, which i can't say i disagree.
discussions often end up with people doing ad-hominen attacks until a mod finally steps in and either deletes the offending posts, or in the extreme case closes the thread itself.


That's ok. Many of my posts are not meant to be taken too seriously. I like to leave it up to the reader to decide if it's serious or not. It's more entertaining that way.
401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/16
I agree with what you're saying. However, it lacks any practicality. I highly doubt that people will "learn to make actual points" on their own volition. It's open discussion, and as such proper online arguments are few and far between. Besides, most of the discussions here are engaging regardless.
5415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Camelot
Offline
Posted 12/10/16
Some people just want attention or to feed of contention. Others may want to bash their assertions or opinions into your skull.
33032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/11/16

Ununoctium wrote:

I agree with what you're saying. However, it lacks any practicality. I highly doubt that people will "learn to make actual points" on their own volition. It's open discussion, and as such proper online arguments are few and far between. Besides, most of the discussions here are engaging regardless.


Some of these discussions are not "open discussion" where anything goes but where people are attempting to make points in an effort to convince others. If people choose to make points, do it right.
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 12/10/16 , edited 12/30/16
5044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/16
I wish I had things worth saying in a discussion, then I might actually need a guide.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.