First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Full Contact Weapons Combat As A Sport.
39161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16
This shows promise. What do you think?


Here's the first match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOw6Mwl4r18


Here's their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unified+weapons+master


So these guys seemed to have developed armor and sensor technology to allow for the judging and scoring of full contact weapons combat. What do you guys think? Will it catch on?
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16
It needs blood.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
Hell yeah. If it didn't require me getting into shape I would be all into that.
33882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / St.Louis
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
twas boring
7644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/12/16
Maybe. It has to complete with kendo and fencing. If you interested in this type. I recommend you look into HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts)
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16
I think they could cut down on the armor padding it's too thick and bulky and slows things down far to much, and it limits defensive moves.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16

Xxanthar wrote:

I think they could cut down on the armor padding it's too thick and bulky and slows things down far to much, and it limits defensive moves.


Well that's kind of how medieval combat worked, unfortunately.
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

I think they could cut down on the armor padding it's too thick and bulky and slows things down far to much, and it limits defensive moves.


Well that's kind of how medieval combat worked, unfortunately.


I guess it depends on the battle, and what side you were on, but generally I think mainly only the knights and cavalry got the heavy metal armor and if they got dismounted they were pretty much dog meat, the poor slob infantry were lucky to get a metal shield.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16

Xxanthar wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

I think they could cut down on the armor padding it's too thick and bulky and slows things down far to much, and it limits defensive moves.


Well that's kind of how medieval combat worked, unfortunately.


I guess it depends on the battle, and what side you were on, but generally I think mainly only the knights and cavalry got the heavy metal armor and if they got dismounted they were pretty much dog meat, the poor slob infantry were lucky to get a metal shield.


It kinda depends on which soldiers we're talking about, I guess.
Posted 12/12/16
I'm not impressed. Although I like the concept, there is poor execution being displayed, mostly revolving around the fighters themselves. The polypropylene training weapons are okay. I personally think the armor is too clumsy and heavy, at present, since it appears as though the fighters don't take the weapons seriously and resort to simply pummeling each other at any given opportunity.
Posted 12/12/16 , edited 12/13/16
Real, sharp, weapons, light armor, no rules, and tons of cash for the winner is the way to go.
39161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

aeb0717 wrote:

I'm not impressed. Although I like the concept, there is poor execution being displayed, mostly revolving around the fighters themselves. The polypropylene training weapons are okay. I personally think the armor is too clumsy and heavy, at present, since it appears as though the fighters don't take the weapons seriously and resort to simply pummeling each other at any given opportunity.



That's what these guys are doing, pummeling each other with their shields, because their weapon isn't doing any damage... What's the difference?

And that armer is way thicker and heavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCQ2pBob5Q


Check this out! Team based combat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbTWDeqQf0

I think with UWM system, they can score based on where and how hard they got hit. So, they don't have to knock the opponent off of their feet, to win. The UWM armor system seems to be lighter than what the other competitive medieval combat sports are using. So, with the UWM system, points are based on skillful and accurate use of their weapons, and not just tiring or knocking an opponent down.

I think it's actually better.
10271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 12/12/16

paul25454 wrote:

Maybe. It has to complete with kendo and fencing. If you interested in this type. I recommend you look into HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts)


I would agree with the HEMA. I saw some of it and it was fun af! There were a few broken fingers, fractured bones and some wicked bruises in the one I watched.
7644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16

Dark_Alma wrote:


paul25454 wrote:

Maybe. It has to complete with kendo and fencing. If you interested in this type. I recommend you look into HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts)


I would agree with the HEMA. I saw some of it and it was fun af! There were a few broken fingers, fractured bones and some wicked bruises in the one I watched.


That does sound pretty amazing.
280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/16
It'l never compete with the likes of kendo and HEMA. Besides, there's very little technique there, just two guys bashing at each other.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.