First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply The Prevalence of Suicidal Consideration
Posted 12/16/16

mxdan wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

Suicide is for quitters. I have to hope that there is some kind of reward after a life time of dealing with so many stupid people. Suicide would most likely be against the rules and penalized in some way.


There you go again with your ignorant blanket statements. There is a whole world of nuance in regards to actual suicide. And besides, his thread isn't even about actual suicide so I don't understand what your point is. Regardless, when a person kills themselves it isn't something most people do on a whim. People who kill themselves are usually intelligent enough to feel the full scope of something weighing them down. They usually come from a wide range of things that turned them into the person they are that aren't entirely in their control. Depression is linked to suicide. Depression also happens to be partly genetic.

With that said suicide may be genetic also.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111007113941.htm

Not everything can be boiled down to simple semantics...


Awwww I'm just giving my opinion. If you don't like it, go find a safe space, and meditate, or cry, or have a fit. If you are looking for expert opinions on subjects, I suggest that you avoid anime forums in the future.
Humms 
11881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 12/16/16 , edited 12/16/16
People just want attention so it let's other people's guard down.

Too scared to even feel pain, too weak to even try.

A mind game played on their victims.




57 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/16/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Suicide is for quitters. I have to hope that there is some kind of reward after a life time of dealing with so many stupid people. Suicide would most likely be against the rules and penalized in some way.


Stuff like "Suicide only hurts the one you love. Suicide is for quitters. Suicide is selfish." etc is pretty common but it doesn't address the fact that some people are actually not mentally healthy and need different treatment. Telling that sort of thing to someone who is mentally unwell just is like telling them "I don't believe what is happening to you is real. You are horrible." I mean, if there are voices in your head telling you to die then maybe then they need other kinds of help. But I know random strangers aren't the one to seek it from. All I'm saying is suicide is something that should be taken a bit more seriously in all cases... just in case you know?

To answer the OP though, I also am not sure what happens when I die (as I believe most everyone is in similar boat). People have "faith" they know what will happen when they die but "faith" isn't the same as "knowing" unless I'm mistaken (As if you *knew* what happens then you wouldn't need "faith" about something you already knew). So we all have belief through faith (those of us who are religious) but even the religious often don't realize that their belief isn't the same as knowing. Perhaps it's our own fear of mortality that allows us to make that accidental oversight. Therefore, it's not really a good idea to kill yourself ever. No matter what the voices say, no matter how badly you are hallucinating, no matter what physical torture you are receiving. Because in the end, none of us *KNOW* what happens...even the religious. Unfortunately I'm also a bit of a Nihilist so... but I think I'll stop there because the rest isn't so great typing out emotionally for me... :/
25678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/16

PrinceJudar wrote:
Given the option, would you rather be raped for 20 years daily in a North Korean prison or suicide?


Bear in mind, we don't know what the future holds. A decision like suicide would be based on expectations. We could be freed from that prison very soon, or never.

Most of my education dealt with resisting methods of coercion, but the parts about suicidal thoughts mostly involved just cognitive strategies of improving mood, like telling ourselves we'll make it out of this situation and "thinking of England (your happy place)" as they say, and doing anything possible to improve physical health even slightly. Rather simple stuff, I guess.

Anyway, I guess I can answer the OP's question. Suicidal thoughts don't occur to me because I'm intrinsically motivated to survive. I want to live, I feel it's correct to live, and I think that experiencing the good and bad of life is worthwhile. It's the same as studying or working. There are rewards, but I don't need a bunch of immediate rewards to want to learn and be a part of the work force. My parents are even better about this. Whenever they're not working, they're starting some creative project that seems like a lot of work to me, but they want to do it.

It's very understandable that not everyone can muster drive and enthusiasm very well. Personally, I need some coffee, music, and a quick set of warm-up exercises to get mine going. Actually, embarrassing secret: I like watching these colorful, upbeat cartoons from Japan called "Anime" just to fortify myself for going out to some boring meeting or whatever. Unusual, I know.
27179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/16

Kavalion wrote:
Bear in mind, we don't know what the future holds. A decision like suicide would be based on expectations. We could be freed from that prison very soon, or never.


I realize, I was mostly being a tease there.



83698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/16
I don't believe humans have an immortal soul. You cease to exist when you die. I have "thought" about suicide, but not a serious consideration, as you appear to be asking. The "thought" of suicide was more a momentary "what if I did x (that would be suicide)?" and the immediate thought of "it would make those that care about me sad". That is the end of it. All thought of suicide immediately dismissed.

Since it was asked of someone else, even if I were being tortured, I would not wish to die. There is always hope that eventually you will get out of your situation and can start your life again. And if you don't, at least you went down trying to make it. I also would not fight death. I don't mean that I wouldn't do what I could to not die, but that if I knew death was imminent, I would accept it rather than freak out. I have thought I was definitely going to die in a vehicle accident, that it was inescapable, and the only thought I had was an entirely calm "I'm going to die". Fortunately, I didn't and escaped with no damage to my person and minimal damage to my car.
820 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/16/16
I would never judge someone who committed suicide. And whoever does is an asshole. If you have not walked in their shoes, you have no right to judge them. It isn't about their family. Their family doesn't walk in that person shoes. So stop saying shit like that. It's their life and they can choose to end it if they want. You can choose to judge them. But that says more about you than it says about them.
47097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/16/16
I don't feel like reading all of that.
22460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 12/16/16

Xxanthar wrote:


mxdan wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

Suicide is for quitters. I have to hope that there is some kind of reward after a life time of dealing with so many stupid people. Suicide would most likely be against the rules and penalized in some way.


There you go again with your ignorant blanket statements. There is a whole world of nuance in regards to actual suicide. And besides, his thread isn't even about actual suicide so I don't understand what your point is. Regardless, when a person kills themselves it isn't something most people do on a whim. People who kill themselves are usually intelligent enough to feel the full scope of something weighing them down. They usually come from a wide range of things that turned them into the person they are that aren't entirely in their control. Depression is linked to suicide. Depression also happens to be partly genetic.

With that said suicide may be genetic also.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111007113941.htm

Not everything can be boiled down to simple semantics...


Awwww I'm just giving my opinion. If you don't like it, go find a safe space, and meditate, or cry, or have a fit. If you are looking for expert opinions on subjects, I suggest that you avoid anime forums in the future.


You are so... extra...
Posted 12/16/16


My mother doesn't have thoughts like that even though she had a very rough childhood. I think that the thought just doesn't occur to certain people. Reasons behind that, I really don't know other than the fact that feelings of hopelessness and despair may be stronger in certain individuals.
22460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 12/16/16

Bear in mind, we don't know what the future holds. A decision like suicide would be based on expectations. We could be freed from that prison very soon, or never.


Holding out for singularity; where we all die to our robot overlords or we become immortal demigods XD
Posted 12/16/16 , edited 12/16/16
I think whether we ponder suicide or not depends on personality and mindset (aside from the obvious factor of mental illness, in which case the thoughts of suicide have a much higher chance of being something more than theoretical). For some people, the idea of suicide simply doesn't occur to them as an option. They're not interested in asking themselves if they would ever do it in any situation, maybe because they are convinced that the answer is and would always be "no." Cultural and religious influence also plays a part in how people view suicide, like whether it's an honorable or sinful response based on the situation (For example: Japanese samurai committing seppuku and Christianity's condemnation of suicide).

However, if mental illness is a factor, I don't think looking at it from a healthy person's logical standpoint is going to work. You can't use healthy logic to understand a mentally ill person's logic. Healthy vs Ill are gonna reach different conclusions even when given the same starting pieces. Condemning the mentally ill while citing logic that only a healthy person would use just proves that people still can't and probably never will understand illnesses like major depression or bipolar disorder unless they experience them themselves.

14962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/17/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Xxanthar wrote:

Suicide is for quitters. I have to hope that there is some kind of reward after a life time of dealing with so many stupid people. Suicide would most likely be against the rules and penalized in some way.


Given the option, would you rather be raped for 20 years daily in a North Korean prison or suicide?




Am I a bad person if I say the North Korean prison? I might of opt for the suicide option if I knew what 20 years in a North Korean prison being raped felt like but I've never really considered suicide as an option.
83698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/16

KurdishSenpai wrote:

I would never judge someone who committed suicide. And whoever does is an asshole. If you have not walked in their shoes, you have no right to judge them. It isn't about their family. Their family doesn't walk in that person shoes. So stop saying shit like that. It's their life and they can choose to end it if they want. You can choose to judge them. But that says more about you than it says about them.


No one in the thread had said "shit like that". I can only assume that you were talking about my post, because you posted this right after it and I was the only one that said anything about suicide being unacceptable because of other people it would hurt. I was clearly talking about my own reason. I made no judgements about anyone.
Posted 12/17/16
I like to think that having no reason to live gives me a reason to live. In my situation, ending my own life by suicide seems like a pretty daft thing to do. I'm the one responsible for the things that happen in my life and all that jizzy shizzy jazz.

Also, suicide is such a special topic because it involves death. I think many of us have at least contemplated what death is like, much less suicide.

I think I'm off-topic lol please ignore me.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.