First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Chain Chronicle - The Light of Haecceitas MOVIE VERSION Discussion
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/18/16 , edited 1/28/17

Kintor wrote:


lorreen wrote:

Not this again. Okay, so you enjoyed it immensely and felt it was perfect for your enjoyment and for that of the audience of folks who are already fans of the game. I'm not denying that you and that group of people would find this enjoyable. But can you really not imagine that some game fans and some fans of this particular game might not also enjoy seeing a bit more depth in an anime presentation of the story? Do you really feel that they will enjoy an anime only if you heavy-handedly introduce game mechanics into it? I don't game, but I do know gamers. None of them seem that shallow to me. They love their games for sure, but they also have an appreciation for the kind of storytelling that can happen outside of a game format, and I think they would hope for an anime presentation of a game they loved to offer them something a little different from what they are comfortable with in the game.

My point is that StriderShinryu's negative criticism is entirely unwarranted because he doesn't understand the context behind why Chain Chronicle was made. His kind of argument is little better than a strawman fallacy, setting the show up against a false comparison and condemning it at every turn for neglecting to meet such ridiculous expectations. Not to mention the same baseless criticisms that StriderShinryu levelled against Chain Chronicle’s animation, which is quite obviously false in the face of such high quality production values. In the end Chain Chronicle is an anime created for the fans, the millions who already know and understand the world behind a hugely successful game, it doesn’t have justify its own existence and never will.


I sincerely hope the game isn't much beloved for it's story, because that opening was awful.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/18/16 , edited 12/21/16

qwueri wrote:

I sincerely hope the game isn't much beloved for it's story, because that opening was awful.

Well, the important thing to understand is that Chain Chronicle is a mobile RPG. The game itself is free to play but the business model is built upon unlocking new characters, each of whom have their own storyline that can be completed to obtain further rewards. This is where the opening excels as an anime, it's all about introducing the large cast of characters that fans already know and love. If anything, it's one of Chain Chronicle's greatest strengths; each of the main characters has a unique design taken directly from the game.
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

Kintor wrote:

Well, the important thing to understand is that Chain Chronicle is a mobile RPG. The game itself is free to play but the business model is built upon unlocking new characters, each of whom have their own storyline that can be completed to obtain further rewards. This is where the opening excels as an anime, it's all about introducing the large cast of characters that fans already know and love. If anything, it's one of Chain Chronicle's greatest strengths; each of the main characters has a unique design taken directly from the game.


Making sure all the side characters show up is a pretty low bar to excel at.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

qwueri wrote:

Making sure all the side characters show up is a pretty low bar to excel at.

The point is that Chain Chronicle isn't trying to be a normal anime; it doesn't have to justify its own existence because the show is already a guaranteed success thanks to the game's status as a pop culture icon in Japan. What's important here is making sure the fans are happy by including a huge cast of recognisable characters. Take a look at the credits in part 4; it has a montage of character art taken directly from the game, just to illustrate how perfectly the anime matches the original designs.
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

Kintor wrote:

The point is that Chain Chronicle isn't trying to be a normal anime; it doesn't have to justify its own existence because the show is already a guaranteed success thanks to the game's status as a pop culture icon in Japan. What's important here is making sure the fans are happy by including a huge cast of recognisable characters. Take a look at the credits in part 4; it has a montage of character art taken directly from the game, just to illustrate how perfectly the anime matches the original designs.


Guaranteed sales isn't an excuse for poor writing. If all that mattered was character art and side characters, they could have easily done that with shorts.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 1/28/17

qwueri wrote:

Guaranteed sales isn't an excuse for poor writing. If all that mattered was character art and side characters, they could have easily done that with shorts.

You still don't get why Chain Chronicle works as an anime, perhaps its best I explain a little more about the game itself. It's true that Chain Chronicle is an RPG, which always have a greater emphasis on storytelling then most other games. However, thanks to the business model that supports the game, Chain Chronicle's approach to storytelling is decidedly non-linear. Everything in the game is structures around recruiting new characters and then completely that character's specific storyline, improving that character's abilities as an individual and as a member of the party. This is where Chain Chronicle excels as an anime, the whole point is to show fan favourite characters coming to life on the screen while staying true to the game's original artwork.
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 1/28/17

Kintor wrote:

You still don't get why Chain Chronicle works as an anime, perhaps its best I explain a little more about the game itself. It's true that Chain Chronicle is an RPG, which always have a greater emphasis on storytelling then most other games. However, thanks to the business model that supports the game, Chain Chronicle's approach to storytelling is decidedly non-linear. Everything in the game is structures around recruiting new characters and then completely that character's specific storyline, improving that character's abilities as an individual and as a member of the party. This is where Chain Chronicle excels as an anime, the whole point is to show fan favourite characters coming to life on the screen while staying true to the game's original artwork.


That does nothing to refute my assertion that sort of story structure would have been much better set to a short than a drawn out movie that splashes most of the characters on screen for maybe one line of dialogue or a couple of still shots while following a terribly written plot.
83919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 1/28/17
I have seen some screencaps, how is this any different from the 'low quality fanservice trash that is killing the industry' that Kintor loathes?
66248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 1/28/17

Demimaelstrom wrote:

I have seen some screencaps, how is this any different from the 'low quality fanservice trash that is killing the industry' that Kintor loathes?


Because this one is based on a game obviously. That automatically makes it a masterpiece no matter how terribly it's translated into an anime format according to Kintor.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

qwueri wrote:

That does nothing to refute my assertion that sort of story structure would have been much better set to a short than a drawn out movie that splashes most of the characters on screen for maybe one line of dialogue or a couple of still shots while following a terribly written plot.

What you want to assert is ultimately irrelevant, it's not for you to decide which anime deserve the backing of a full-fledged theatrical release. Chain Chronicle is one of the most popular games in Japan, it's only fitting that it would receive a high quality anime to match its great stature in popular culture. This anime is Sega's next big marketing campaign for the game, showcase the vast array of characters that can be found within the game. Creating a spectacular anime like this is an excellent way to maintain the hype that already surrounds Chain Chronicle, in the end this is an anime for the fans.
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

Kintor wrote:

What you want to assert is ultimately irrelevant, it's not for you to decide which anime deserve the backing of a full-fledged theatrical release. Chain Chronicle is one of the most popular games in Japan, it's only fitting that it would receive a high quality anime to match its great stature in popular culture. This anime is Sega's next big marketing campaign for the game, showcase the vast array of characters that can be found within the game. Creating a spectacular anime like this is an excellent way to maintain the hype that already surrounds Chain Chronicle, in the end this is an anime for the fans.


Anyone's opinion on the internet is ultimately irrelevant. Doesn't stop the story from being spectacularly bad.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

qwueri wrote:

Anyone's opinion on the internet is ultimately irrelevant. Doesn't stop the story from being spectacularly bad.

But this isn't about the story, you're just railing against the fact that Chain Chronicle has a theatrical release when so many other anime will never receive such lavish attention. Although, none of this should come as any great surprise, so much of the anime being made today is entirely disposable, low quality animation pushed out the door to sell merchandise over one season. In contrast, Chain Chronicle is something made to last, given high quality animation to match the successful game that has already remained popular for years now.
qwueri 
23728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

Kintor wrote:

But this isn't about the story, you're just railing against the fact that Chain Chronicle has a theatrical release when so many other anime will never receive such lavish attention. Although, none of this should come as any great surprise, so much of the anime being made today is entirely disposable, low quality animation pushed out the door to sell merchandise over one season. In contrast, Chain Chronicle is something made to last, given high quality animation to match the successful game that has already remained popular for years now.


Yes, I'm sure it'll do great as a bluray gathering dust on fans' shelves.
Kintor 
23072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/19/16 , edited 12/21/16

qwueri wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it'll do great as a bluray gathering dust on fans' shelves.

Meh, the importance of physical media isn't what it used to be, the existence of streaming sites like Crunchyroll are proof enough of that. The real purpose of this anime is to get people spending more money in the mobile game. Fans see their favourite Chain Chronicle characters in the anime, along with other characters they might not have in their army, they then decide to play the game a bit more in search of further characters. It's a beautiful business model and brilliant marketing exercise, Sega knows exactly what they're doing.
22614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/21/16 , edited 12/21/16
So halfway through the 1st episode I felt like I was 1-2 seasons behind on the story line I have no idea who was who and what in the world was really going on.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.