First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply "The Americas" and "America" - An attempt to settle a internet argument that pops up occasionally
21289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 12/24/16 , edited 12/26/16
If I am speaking English America= the United States, if I am speaking Spanish it refers to both N.A. and S.A. Think of it as the Designated hitter rule in the American vs National baseball leagues
39155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/24/16 , edited 12/26/16

ran76 wrote:


We clear?


You forgot Central America...
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/16 , edited 12/26/16

Potentsaliva wrote:

I like how that arrow is pointing at Texas, the most american state


Yes, so American that they like to remind us they can "Withdraw" from the US at any time of their choosing.. 'MURICA!
4376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

MadBovine wrote:


Potentsaliva wrote:

I like how that arrow is pointing at Texas, the most american state


Yes, so American that they like to remind us they can "Withdraw" from the US at any time of their choosing.. 'MURICA! :P


except they can't really. Whether you look at it politically, economically, or otherwise Texas just isn't capable of surviving independently and the people pushing for "withdraw" aren't aware of the consequences of doing so.

For example withdrawing would mean loss of citizen ship and all government support with it. Secondly this would mean you'd need a passport to leave or enter Texas. There would also be a need to set up trade , tax said trade, and set up other foreign relation affairs.

Not to mention needing to restructure the entire damn state government to act independently. So really the only Texans actually demanding withdraw are the ones stupid enough to not realize what a stupid idea that is.

Because like it or not the option to separate basically dissipated decades ago. Even if it's legally possible doing so would only doom the state dumb enough to actually do it.

Now Hawaii might get away with it since they are already rather separated from the rest of the US but it would still probably screw them over in the end.

51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16
Yeah it was a joke, heh. California, on the other hand, could survive on their own if the nutjobs trying to get them to leave the US succeed
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

ran76 wrote:


We clear?


makotomaui needs to see this.
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Byzantine93 wrote:

What a butt ugly map.


And what country do you come from? The computer you're typing on, and the internet? American. Just to let you know. Oh yeah, and we give more aid than any other country in the world. We've probably did more good in our short existence than your country in it's existence. Everyone wants to be us, but they all for some reason hate us. It's just nationalistic jealousy is all. If you are American, then for you to hate the very country you live off of doesn't make sense. If that is the case, you can always move to north korea or afghanistan. Then you can enjoy your beautiful new country.
1339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Shazzadude wrote:

I have seen this on the internet, someone from Europe or Asia will point out a flaw about America, only for some American to reply OMG lol hehe there is no such country as America, it's the United States of America! America is a continent lol omg what a loser!

Calling it America is no different to calling it the United States, both are shortened forms of it's full name The United States of America. And as the above points out, it's the only country with America in it's name.


I've seen the opposite happen. It's just something that people will use to try and insult their opponents with, regardless of whether it actually makes sense or not.
132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

johnnymcool wrote:


Byzantine93 wrote:

What a butt ugly map.


And what country do you come from? The computer you're typing on, and the internet? American. Just to let you know. Oh yeah, and we give more aid than any other country in the world. We've probably did more good in our short existence than your country in it's existence. Everyone wants to be us, but they all for some reason hate us. It's just nationalistic jealousy is all. If you are American, then for you to hate the very country you live off of doesn't make sense. If that is the case, you can always move to north korea or afghanistan. Then you can enjoy your beautiful new country.


Johnnymcool-san, I think you misunderstand.

All I am saying is that the map of the United States featured in the OP is cartographically ugly, I'm not saying that America is ugly. Physically speaking, America is one beautiful place.
Dragon
64055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

johnnymcool wrote:

makotomaui needs to see this.


Did you mean me? Feel free to use the "quote" link so I can know, otherwise I'm assuming you're responding to the OP, like I do when I post a random thing to a thread.

Personally, my computer came from a number of countries, over a number of years, with a number of improvements. Not sure about yours. I'd hate to be in one of those warehouses with the old school memory blocks. Have you seen one of those? Even if you say the idea was from the USA, your computer's memory at that level would take up more area than San Francisco. Crazy.
1541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


ran76 wrote:


We clear?


You forgot Central America...

Central America isn't a continent
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Byzantine93 wrote:


johnnymcool wrote:


Byzantine93 wrote:

What a butt ugly map.


And what country do you come from? The computer you're typing on, and the internet? American. Just to let you know. Oh yeah, and we give more aid than any other country in the world. We've probably did more good in our short existence than your country in it's existence. Everyone wants to be us, but they all for some reason hate us. It's just nationalistic jealousy is all. If you are American, then for you to hate the very country you live off of doesn't make sense. If that is the case, you can always move to north korea or afghanistan. Then you can enjoy your beautiful new country.


Johnnymcool-san, I think you misunderstand.

All I am saying is that the map of the United States featured in the OP is cartographically ugly, I'm not saying that America is ugly. Physically speaking, America is one beautiful place.


Ok, I understand now, but can you see how easily something like that could have been misinterpreted?

I'm sorry if my reaction was a bit harsh, but it's just that there are a couple of bad apples on here that love saying insults about the states. Online, I see lots of hate for the U.S., insults I mean, and it just gets on my nerves.
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

MakotoKamui wrote:


johnnymcool wrote:

makotomaui needs to see this.


Did you mean me? Feel free to use the "quote" link so I can know, otherwise I'm assuming you're responding to the OP, like I do when I post a random thing to a thread.

Personally, my computer came from a number of countries, over a number of years, with a number of improvements. Not sure about yours. I'd hate to be in one of those warehouses with the old school memory blocks. Have you seen one of those? Even if you say the idea was from the USA, your computer's memory at that level would take up more area than San Francisco. Crazy.


What happened to my post correcting myself on the spelling of your crunchyroll name, stating that spell check messed it up?

Anyway, either you are not quite understanding what I'm saying, or you are once again being intellectually dishonest. With out the first idea and version of something, you can't have any improvements on something, because you need the groundwork to build upon. Example, if it weren't for the first cars (and the car was invented in the U.S. just like the computer) there would be no modern cars being used currently, despite design improvements or where they were/are manufactured.
39155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

ran76 wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


ran76 wrote:


We clear?


You forgot Central America...

Central America isn't a continent


Nothing in the graphic specifies whether you were talking geographical locations or geopolitical locations. Geographically, you are correct. It's North American continent and South American continent. However, geopolitically, it's North, Central, and South America....

When I think geography, I think "the North and South American continents." When I think geopolitically, I think "the Americas." Although, it could be argued that with context, "the Americas" can also mean the Northern and Southern American continents.

Since you didn't specify in your graphic, and since we've been talking so much politics lately, and since "this is an attempt to settle an argument, or debate that's been popping up on the Internet," I figured you meant geopolitically. Hence, I pointed out your omission of Central America.

It was a simple misunderstanding caused by a lack of context, was all.
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

johnnymcool wrote:


MakotoKamui wrote:


johnnymcool wrote:

makotomaui needs to see this.


Did you mean me? Feel free to use the "quote" link so I can know, otherwise I'm assuming you're responding to the OP, like I do when I post a random thing to a thread.

Personally, my computer came from a number of countries, over a number of years, with a number of improvements. Not sure about yours. I'd hate to be in one of those warehouses with the old school memory blocks. Have you seen one of those? Even if you say the idea was from the USA, your computer's memory at that level would take up more area than San Francisco. Crazy.


What happened to my post correcting myself on the spelling of your crunchyroll name, stating that spell check messed it up?

Anyway, either you are not quite understanding what I'm saying, or you are once again being intellectually dishonest. With out the first idea and version of something, you can't have any improvements on something, because you need the groundwork to build upon. Example, if it weren't for the first cars (and the car was invented in the U.S. just like the computer) there would be no modern cars being used currently, despite design improvements or where they were/are manufactured.


Who ever invented inventions, invented all inventions?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.