First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
"The Americas" and "America" - An attempt to settle a internet argument that pops up occasionally
30098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Ejanss wrote:


kromph wrote:

This was a debate??????


Well, he's trying to reassure Canada that "America" also means a continent--
And that Canadian indigenous natives don't have to call themselves "First Nation" because they're nationalistically offended at being called "Native Am******s".

Two hundred years of paranoia runs deep and cultural in the blood of Canada's veins.


PrinceGrimm wrote:

Hawaii and Alaska aren't a part of America, they're not in bold :^)


Alaska thinks it's not part of America anyway, and Hawaii keeps wanting to declare tribal war against the mainland.


i hope you do you know native Hawaiians hate america for the same reason native americans hate us lol
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

ayesharocks wrote:

i hope you do you know native Hawaiians hate america for the same reason native americans hate us lol


Most of us don't mind at all.

Ejanss 
16895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

ayesharocks wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


PrinceGrimm wrote:

Hawaii and Alaska aren't a part of America, they're not in bold :^)


Alaska thinks it's not part of America anyway, and Hawaii keeps wanting to declare tribal war against the mainland.


i hope you do you know native Hawaiians hate america for the same reason native americans hate us lol


Oh, good, then it's not JUST symbolic tourist-snobbery.

(Like the old joke about the guy who was asking his friend for advice on whether to take his girl's honeymoon at Paris or Honolulu--
"Well, the French would be more polite..." )
506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / O / Massachusetts, USA
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16
ok but can we talk about Math vs Maths
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

agbadvance wrote:

ok but can we talk about Math vs Maths


Can we talk about Gray vs grey?
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

johnnymcool wrote:


MakotoKamui wrote:


johnnymcool wrote:

makotomaui needs to see this.


Did you mean me? Feel free to use the "quote" link so I can know, otherwise I'm assuming you're responding to the OP, like I do when I post a random thing to a thread.

Personally, my computer came from a number of countries, over a number of years, with a number of improvements. Not sure about yours. I'd hate to be in one of those warehouses with the old school memory blocks. Have you seen one of those? Even if you say the idea was from the USA, your computer's memory at that level would take up more area than San Francisco. Crazy.


What happened to my post correcting myself on the spelling of your crunchyroll name, stating that spell check messed it up?

Anyway, either you are not quite understanding what I'm saying, or you are once again being intellectually dishonest. With out the first idea and version of something, you can't have any improvements on something, because you need the groundwork to build upon. Example, if it weren't for the first cars (and the car was invented in the U.S. just like the computer) there would be no modern cars being used currently, despite design improvements or where they were/are manufactured.


Well..... Actually..... Henry Ford's version of the "internal combustion engine" was revolutionary, but it was actually invented by Karl Friedrich Benz (Mercedes Benz) in Germany, in 1885/86. Karl Benz invented the internal combustion engine for his automobile. However, it wasn't Karl Benz who invented the automobile... That was Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot, of France, in 1769. Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot's automobile used a steam engine to get it going.

What Henry Ford actually invented was the "Assembly Line," which revolutionized car manufacturing, by mass producing automobiles, cheaply. This is what made automobiles (already in existence) much more practical, and easier to obtain, not only by the wealthy, but by regular middle class type folks.

Robert Anderson, of Scotland, invented the first electric car developing it between 1832 - 1839, but electric cars didn't catch the imagination. It was internal combustion engined cars that got the spotlight.

Imagine if Henry Ford had decided to mass produce electric cars instead of gasoline powered internal combustion engined cars? What a different world we would live in, today.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/27/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Who ever invented inventions, invented all inventions?


"Necessity is the mother of all inventions."
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

TwinBlast wrote:


agbadvance wrote:

ok but can we talk about Math vs Maths


Can we talk about Gray vs grey?



Math vs Maths
Gray vs. Grey
I always thought they were pretty much the same thing

39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

ran76 wrote:


TwinBlast wrote:


agbadvance wrote:

ok but can we talk about Math vs Maths


Can we talk about Gray vs grey?



Math vs Maths
Gray vs. Grey
I always thought they were pretty much the same thing



I get the sense, that when I hear "math," that someone is solving a math problem. When I hear, "maths," I think a list of all kinds of mathematical formulas, or kinds of math, algebra, calculus, statistical math, Albert Einstein math, etc...

"That guy is doing math." He's solving an algebra problem.

"That guy can do the maths!" He's freakin' 'Stephen Hawking!'

As for grey or gray, I spell it as the whim strikes. Both spellings are correct. Except when it comes to proper names. If a guy is named "Earl Grey" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Grey ), then I'm not gonna spell his name Gray... You know? It's just not respectful.
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


ran76 wrote:


TwinBlast wrote:


agbadvance wrote:

ok but can we talk about Math vs Maths


Can we talk about Gray vs grey?



Math vs Maths
Gray vs. Grey
I always thought they were pretty much the same thing



I get the sense, that when I hear "math," that someone is solving a math problem. When I hear, "maths," I think a list of all kinds of mathematical formulas, or kinds of math, algebra, calculus, statistical math, Albert Einstein math, etc...

"That guy is doing math." He's solving an algebra problem.

"That guy can do the maths!" He's freakin' 'Stephen Hawking!'

As for grey or gray, I spell it as the whim strikes. Both spellings are correct. Except when it comes to proper names. If a guy is named "Earl Grey" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Grey ), then I'm not gonna spell his name Gray... You know? It's just not respectful.


the name of a person is one thing, the name of the color(colour) is something else
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Ejanss wrote:



Well, he's trying to reassure Canada that "America" also means a continent--


No I'm not. The image makes it very clear, when I say "America", I'm talking about the U.S.A. If I'm talking about Canada, I'll say Canada. If I'm talking about the continent that consist of Canada, the U.S.A. and Mexico, I'll say North America.
Dragon
66312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

johnnymcool wrote:

What happened to my post correcting myself on the spelling of your crunchyroll name, stating that spell check messed it up?

Anyway, either you are not quite understanding what I'm saying, or you are once again being intellectually dishonest. With out the first idea and version of something, you can't have any improvements on something, because you need the groundwork to build upon. Example, if it weren't for the first cars (and the car was invented in the U.S. just like the computer) there would be no modern cars being used currently, despite design improvements or where they were/are manufactured.


Funny, the idea of the computer didn't come from the USA - you might look into punch card processing, Charles Babbage, Alan Turing, Konrad Zuse, George Booble, Tommy Flowers, ESDAC, Ferranti Mk 1, etc. Not USA based.

Which particular device do you consider to be the first computer? I'm pretty sure I can name something that preceded it, as a first idea or version of it.

But my point was merely that my computer has parts manufactured in a number of countries - including the good old US of A. So it is definitely partly United States of America manufactured, definitely. I'm just giving credit where credit is due, since you asked with your post to someone else

And what country do you come from? The computer you're typing on, and the internet? American. Just to let you know.


So literally, no, my computer is not American. It's partly made in the Americas, however. And the first idea or version of the computer isn't American, either, no matter if you mean the USA or the continent.
22676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/27/16
Manifest destiny mother fucker! Its ALL ours!!!




39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16

Rujikin wrote:

Manifest destiny mother fucker! Its ALL ours!!!



LOL! That was just too funny!
31920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Guadalajara, Mexico
Offline
Posted 12/25/16 , edited 12/26/16
Depends on the language. If it is in english, the continent is usually referred as Americas, if it is in spanish, it is America.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.