First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Your reaction to this situation part 2
Posted 12/26/16 , edited 12/27/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Well aren't you a tough mommy?


Well, he/she is supposed to be a teenager, not a child. There's a point in which I feel it's best to treat them more akin to an adult. If he/she was twelve or below, my approach would be different.
47133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/26/16

aeb0717 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Well aren't you a tough mommy?


Well, he/she is supposed to be a teenager, not a child. There's a point in which I feel it's best to treat them more akin to an adult. If he/she was twelve or below, my approach would be different.



Seems fair.
5224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Alberta, Canada
Offline
Posted 12/26/16 , edited 12/26/16
Counsel your 'left behind child'. Don't compare them to your other successful children, don't even talk about them. Help them find what they are good at, what they love to do and praise them for it. Even if all they accomplish is self sufficiency and being the best damned fry flipper at Mc Dicks. Remind them that at the end of the day this is real life and the only one you are competing against is yourself. Self growth, wake up each morning and do each day better.



((Wait is waking up and doing each day better in order to improve within yourself and come to terms with your own life basically Re:Zero but they do the death and time rewind because anime?))

**Edit oh and get them to start investing early, retirement plans, and a stock portfolio even if it's little. Money has far more power then the vast majority of people. If they can get some cashola in there consistently they might end up the wealthiest child in the end.
47133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/26/16

wingsofinsanity wrote:

Counsel your 'left behind child'. Don't compare them to your other successful children, don't even talk about them. Help them find what they are good at, what they love to do and praise them for it. Even if all they accomplish is self sufficiency and being the best damned fry flipper at Mc Dicks. Remind them that at the end of the day this is real life and the only one you are competing against is yourself. Self growth, wake up each morning and do each day better.



((Wait is waking up and doing each day better in order to improve within yourself and come to terms with your own life basically Re:Zero but they do the death and time rewind because anime?))

**Edit oh and get them to start investing early, retirement plans, and a stock portfolio even if it's little. Money has far more power then the vast majority of people. If they can get some cashola in there consistently they might end up the wealthiest child in the end.


Good, very good.
Dragon
65091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/26/16
I read the title and description, and I have no idea. So I removed that description of it speaking for itself.

Reading the opening post - as a parent, I would encourage that child to focus on what they were interested in. Everyone has their own talents, interests, and desires, so trying to fit a fourth child into the mold of the previous three doesn't make sense, even if the other three happened to fall into the same careers/patterns. Maybe they were successful in art and the fourth would be better with computers. I'd hope that if I was the parent, I'd know that.
18738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 12/27/16
give him the most attention. help him to understand not everyone is equal, and its okay. impress on him the value of hard work. ive seen some really truely stupid people do some amazing thing, through sheer stubbornness.
11762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Birmingham, UK
Offline
Posted 12/27/16
I'd want them to just be themselves, there's no need to catch up to the others, I'd just want my children to be happy and do what they want, you don't have to be successful to live a good life, you just need to be happy
35883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/27/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

The final one.


Here's the scenario:

You are the parent of four teena-
Vasectomy.
35657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/27/16

iriomote wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

The final one.


Here's the scenario:

You are the parent of four teena-
Vasectomy.


Would be too late to save you.

A nice hot bath with your faithful friend the toaster on the other hand.
47133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/16

iriomote wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

The final one.


Here's the scenario:

You are the parent of four teena-
Vasectomy.


621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/16

wingsofinsanity wrote:

Counsel your 'left behind child'. Don't compare them to your other successful children, don't even talk about them. Help them find what they are good at, what they love to do and praise them for it. Even if all they accomplish is self sufficiency and being the best damned fry flipper at Mc Dicks. Remind them that at the end of the day this is real life and the only one you are competing against is yourself. Self growth, wake up each morning and do each day better.



((Wait is waking up and doing each day better in order to improve within yourself and come to terms with your own life basically Re:Zero but they do the death and time rewind because anime?))

**Edit oh and get them to start investing early, retirement plans, and a stock portfolio even if it's little. Money has far more power then the vast majority of people. If they can get some cashola in there consistently they might end up the wealthiest child in the end.


Basically this, but a focus on having them identify what they're best at. Someone already mentioned this, but as the parent, I should have some idea what they might have some talent in. No matter what someone may think about themselves, there's always something they excel at over everything else, even if they don't consider it a useful talent.

And, about the last bit of the quote, I would hope you would explain retirement/insurance/taxes and other life information to all of your kids, including the famous ones lol.
mxdan 
10936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Online
Posted 12/27/16 , edited 12/27/16
Give him attention but not in the way your thinking. If you give him too much attention it could end up hurting him in the long run. Instead, focus on fostering a desire in him to prove himself by reinforcing certain behaviors. It's not how well he does things for a child like that, it is how hard he tried and welcoming failure. Then, in my opinion, he will end up being equal if not better then his siblings.

Overall, he needs to see his failures as good. Yes he will fail more than his siblings. But that's validation that he is inching closer to them.

Kind of like Naruto, actually .
6084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/27/16
How about telling the kid about Chris Pratt's life leading up to his fame:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-pratt-lived-in-a-van-before-he-was-famous-2014-8

Sometimes things come early or easily to some people, while for others, the road is longer and rockier. You just need to find what makes you happy in life, and find success within that happiness... just like your siblings did.
30098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/27/16
no
216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / England
Offline
Posted 12/27/16
Tell them not to worry about it or compare themselves to their siblings just because they are famous and successful it doesnt mean that they are happy, everyone is different and has a different view on what being successful is, eventually they will find what it is that makes them happy and thats when they can start to feel successful with their life

On a side note, how the hell did i spawn 3 successful and famous people
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.