First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply People don't like each other
5341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
I have been reading some of the forums on crunchyroll recently and most of them are pretty messy. Some talk about issues that will get messy no matter what because of the topic being something to do with politics, religion, or anything that can spark arguments and people just hating each other because their opinions differ. I'm not saying forum posts about politics or religion are bad, it's good to discuss your ideas with others. But I feel like sometimes most of the forums are filled with a bit of hate for others and too much negativity. Maybe it would be a good time for a forum topic where people can just be nice and try to make some friends?
qwueri 
20828 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 12/28/16 , edited 12/28/16
18597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal,Quebec,...
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
I believe it's up to the moderators to be able to ensure everyone has a good experience on these forums.
5341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/28/16

MrDaniFilth wrote:

I believe it's up to the moderators to be able to ensure everyone has a good experience on these forums.


True, though I think it still would be nice to have a forum to spread some kindness to others. And even though moderators do a good job on handling that type of negativity, they aren't perfect and some hate still gets through. But regardless, I wanted to have a friendly forum for others to chit chat on.
mxdan 
11128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
Agreed. I've thought it's been a lack of direction for a while now. There is no place for this charged political talk to be moderated and actually formulated correctly. Instead it is this free-for-all, opinionated, echo chambered circle jerk that is more about people wanting to feel right then actually meaningful discussion. I tried bringing it up when I first started posting and asking if we could get a more organized place to vent this discussion and do it correctly but that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since.

It seems there are a few highly opinionated who start these really charged hard to talk about things and then we are surprised when the discussion doesn't go well and it devolves into a meme slam fest.

My opinion; Either they appoint some places and order in the boards for this stuff to be done correctly or their gonna end up with a not so anonymous 4chan.
65266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
A large percentage of Americans summed up in one sentence:

"Believe what I say or I'll hurt you."

mxdan 
11128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 12/28/16 , edited 12/28/16

Rinnybean wrote:

A large percentage of Americans summed up in one sentence:

"Believe what I say or I'll hurt you."



"Believe what I say or I'll sue you."

Haha, but you're right .
Posted 12/28/16
I don't really hold any hatred towards anyone on Crunchyroll. There is only one person whom I feel is an absolute waste of my time to engage with - simply because their own views are rigid and refuse to shift. That's fine, that's their thing - just not mine.

I do agree that the political discussions can get fairly heated around here. Essentially, it boils down to the "knee-jerk" reflex when it comes to having your political views challenged.

Regardless of all of the negativity on the forums during the heated discussions, I do hope everyone had a good holiday month (Christmas, Sinterklaas, or otherwise).
5341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/28/16

mxdan wrote:

Agreed. I've thought it's been a lack of direction for a while now. There is no place for this charged political talk to be moderated and actually formulated correctly. Instead it is this free-for-all, opinionated, echo chambered circle jerk that is more about people wanting to feel right then actually meaningful discussion. I tried bringing it up when I first started posting and asking if we could get a more organized place to vent this discussion and do it correctly but that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since.

It seems there are a few highly opinionated who start these really charged hard to talk about things and then we are surprised when the discussion doesn't go well and it devolves into a meme slam fest.

My opinion; Either they appoint some places and order in the boards for this stuff to be done correctly or their gonna end up with a not so anonymous 4chan.


Yeah, most people are bringing up politics and it is a very hard topic to discuss. It really does lead into pointless arguments and some people being childish and hateful just because they want to be right. And I agree that it would be nice for it to be a bit more moderated, but this site is pretty big so it is a hard thing to moderate.
mxdan 
11128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 12/28/16 , edited 12/28/16

redhopeotaku wrote:


mxdan wrote:

Agreed. I've thought it's been a lack of direction for a while now. There is no place for this charged political talk to be moderated and actually formulated correctly. Instead it is this free-for-all, opinionated, echo chambered circle jerk that is more about people wanting to feel right then actually meaningful discussion. I tried bringing it up when I first started posting and asking if we could get a more organized place to vent this discussion and do it correctly but that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since.

It seems there are a few highly opinionated who start these really charged hard to talk about things and then we are surprised when the discussion doesn't go well and it devolves into a meme slam fest.

My opinion; Either they appoint some places and order in the boards for this stuff to be done correctly or their gonna end up with a not so anonymous 4chan.


Yeah, most people are bringing up politics and it is a very hard topic to discuss. It really does lead into pointless arguments and some people being childish and hateful just because they want to be right. And I agree that it would be nice for it to be a bit more moderated, but this site is pretty big so it is a hard thing to moderate.


A solution would be to appoint a debate board with some non partisan mods. They could hold a review for the mods in a hidden moderator/administrator forum to ensure they are staying relatively stationary and pushing discussion forward. Obviously, if they don't uphold some relatively even standards then they would be replaced.

My two cents anyways. It seems they are in a tough place because moderating too severely endangers paying crunchyroll customers from leaving but honestly they probably risk that anyway with the unfriendly nature of the boards that is being ignored.
5341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/28/16

ninjitsuko wrote:

I don't really hold any hatred towards anyone on Crunchyroll. There is only one person whom I feel is an absolute waste of my time to engage with - simply because their own views are rigid and refuse to shift. That's fine, that's their thing - just not mine.

I do agree that the political discussions can get fairly heated around here. Essentially, it boils down to the "knee-jerk" reflex when it comes to having your political views challenged.

Regardless of all of the negativity on the forums during the heated discussions, I do hope everyone had a good holiday month (Christmas, Sinterklaas, or otherwise).


I don't really hold hate over anyone on this site either. Crunchyroll is a nice community of anime/manga/game/drama fans. But sometimes like every community there is a bit of hate. I also hope you had good holidays as well in whatever you celebrate.
5341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/28/16

mxdan wrote:


redhopeotaku wrote:


mxdan wrote:

Agreed. I've thought it's been a lack of direction for a while now. There is no place for this charged political talk to be moderated and actually formulated correctly. Instead it is this free-for-all, opinionated, echo chambered circle jerk that is more about people wanting to feel right then actually meaningful discussion. I tried bringing it up when I first started posting and asking if we could get a more organized place to vent this discussion and do it correctly but that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since.

It seems there are a few highly opinionated who start these really charged hard to talk about things and then we are surprised when the discussion doesn't go well and it devolves into a meme slam fest.

My opinion; Either they appoint some places and order in the boards for this stuff to be done correctly or their gonna end up with a not so anonymous 4chan.


Yeah, most people are bringing up politics and it is a very hard topic to discuss. It really does lead into pointless arguments and some people being childish and hateful just because they want to be right. And I agree that it would be nice for it to be a bit more moderated, but this site is pretty big so it is a hard thing to moderate.


A solution would be to appoint a debate board with some non partisan mods. They could hold a review for the mods in a hidden moderator/administrator forum to ensure they are staying relatively stationary and pushing discussion forward. Obviously, if they don't uphold some relatively even standards then they would be replaced.

My two cents anyways. It seems they are in a tough place because moderating too severely endangers paying crunchyroll customers from leaving but honestly they probably risk that anyway with the unfriendly nature of the boards that is being ignored.


Yes that is a good idea. And it would be nice if they moderated things a bit more. But I think moderating is a pretty difficult job. Not only should the forums be a bit more moderated, I think people could try being a bit more considerate. But I doubt that most people who post that negative stuff will try being considerate.
Posted 12/28/16 , edited 12/28/16
I think General Discussion gets way more traffic than it deserves because it listed on the home page. Anime topics should be listed first, then Manga, and then maybe a couple topics from GD at the bottom or none at all. Anime and Manga forums should be the ones that are highlighted, to increase traffic and to get the forums more focused on what it should really be about. Make the Anime and Manga forums the main focus and the general stuff secondary. It's pretty much set up opposite of how it should be IMO.

*posted in green to intertwine with the red text above in a small tribute to the holiday season.*

Edit: I also do not hate anyone here. I do have a strong dislike for a only a couple people, and I might accidently pop them in the mouth if we met in person, but I'd buy them a beer afterwards.

1528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Cosmos
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
Loreen does a pretty god job of promoting ant a-holery.

She even sent a few people a PM (including me) pretty much saying to try an be more considerate. We are all here for the same reason after all, because we freakin love anime
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
It's interesting that you say this. I used to go on crunchyroll and never go on any of the discussions, as I'm usually a private person (or used to be more so) but ever since the election, and post election time that we are in, all I saw was political stuff on the thread part of the homepage on the right. Crunchyroll was my little escape to watch some anime and chill, but I couldn't even escape the political shit even on here of all places, one of the last places I'd expect to find that stuff. All of that stuff attracted me like a mouse to cheese, particularly when I saw anti Trump titles for the forum posts. Naturally, as I am a conservative these days, and am pro Trump, seeing lots of misinformed spin about him being put out everywhere only pissed me off enough to go on these forums and finally start giving a piece of my own mind.

In a way, I don't mind the political stuff, but I think what really causes problems is the way people communicate about it. It's one thing having a differing opinion, but when people talk shit, like how people were talking shit about Trump, and still do, it only wants to make people retaliate in kind. It's like I explained on another post, that time moves linearly, so if one person does something A, then A will then create B, and so on. Don't have A, the triggering comment, then you won't get B, then C, etc. It's cause and effect. No cause, no effect. Positive cause, positive effect. Negative cause, negative effect. A forest can't catch fire without some sort of little spark. (Btw, I'm not saying I'm not guilty of any of this, but I never started. Me getting into fights with people on here was only the result of them trolling. I don't start fights, but I have what to some people is a bad habit of not turning the other cheek.)

So in conclusion, it's not the topic that is so bad, but rather people's communication of said topic. I mean, potentially, that can happen with any topic, though religion and politics are much more likely to evoke that, since they are major parts of so many people's lives. I'll give an example. "Blue is better than red." "Nah, ah! Red is better than blue! "You're stupid!" "No, you're stupid!"

But yeah, it would be nice to not look at political stuff for a change, as tempting as it is for me to jump in the fray. Hey, I wouldn't be tempted if there was nothing to tempt me, right?

I've talked to one of the mods about this to see if they can just can all politics and religion on here a week or two ago, but he told me he can't do it. Maybe if enough people got on the higher ups about this, we could get rid of that heavy topic stuff.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.